Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnygirl

Getting married in 2 months and breaking out

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on the org for some time since I really haven't been around much. I have a major problem...I'm getting married in two months and my skin is an absolute mess. If you've ever read any of my past posts you know that I'm no stranger to acne and treatments. I've had acne since I was 15, so almost 20 years. I've been on accutane 4 times, an assortment of antibiotics, birth control pills, spironolactone and topicals. I've had my hormones tested and I do not have PCOS and my hormones are within normal range with the exception of slightly low estrogen which my doctor said was typical because I am thin and fit. I'm not interested in going back on BCP or antibiotics or trying accutane again which leaves me with topicals and diet.

My acne is mostly on my chin/jawline/neck and temples. Recently I've been getting really painful pimples above my lip that drive me insane. When I look in the mirror I cry and can't believe I'm getting married soon. I feel like a freak and the ugliest woman ever. I dread being a pimply bride with everyone looking at me. Right now I'm having a horrible time with pimples and big red painful nodules on the right side side of my jaw and neck. NOTHING gets rid of the neck acne! Sometimes I think I wouldn't look so bad if I didn't have the neck acne.

I'm currently using stievamycin gel for the past month and washing with an organic olive oil soap from kiss my face because it only has four ingredients. I eat very healthy with loads of fresh fruit and veggies, chicken, salmon and eggs. I even gave drinking coffee and tea with caffeine to see if that would help. Almost a month of no caffeine and I don't see a difference. I also exercise five times a week to Jillian Michaels and those are really intensive workouts.

Have any other women gone through this? How did you get through your wedding day? I know that a lot of brides struggle with their weight and feel bad about that. Thankfully I don't have that problem, but my skin looks horrible with tons of red painful bumpy spots. It kills me that everywhere I go I'm literally the only woman that has bad acne and that I'll have to deal with that on the most important day of my life.

Any advice or support would be appreciated. Thank you.

:( I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I know exactly how you feel, and it does almost feel like we're the only ones - but then there's everybody on this forum, so I guess we're not so alone, eh?

I can't believe it, but I've actually never heard of stievamycin gel. Are you taking/doing anything else for your acne right now? Could the stress of wedding plans be exacerbating the situation as well? I know that's an obnoxious question, and I personally have never noticed my skin get better or worse during more or less stressful times in my life, but apparently that's what every dermatologist will tell you happens.

I hear you on the frustration of having hormone tests, etc show everything to be "fine." I mean obviously it's not fine, we're still getting acne, right?

I had major success with topical Benzaclin - then it stopped working so I stopped using it. But I just went back on it and it's working pretty well again. And - bonus - now there's a generic version, so I don't have to shell out big bucks for it anymore!

I'm also using glycolic acid products now that I'm fighting aging and acne. I've tried several products, and I find the best thing I can use is the Aqua Glycolic toner, which really helps make my skin less oily.

*Then again, if you're getting married in just 2 months and you're anything like me you might want to avoid trying too many "new" things at once. For me I have to add things one at a time and wait it out to see if I adjust to them.

I'm 35, and have been breaking out since age 10. I did 2 courses of Accutane in my 20s, have been on the pill since age 19, was on spironolactone for a while, and have tried virtually everything out there. Here's some things I've learned specifically about my skin over these long years, specifically about my skin as an adult, but maybe some of it will ring true with you (or not - it stinks that we're all so different that we can't just find one treatment and run with it.)

I notice some improvement in my skin when I also increase my zinc intake. When I notice I'm breaking out more I take an extra supplement and I could be wrong but I swear it helps.

Recently I was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency (don't ask me how - I love the sun, I eat very healthy and like you I consider myself thin and fit). But regardless my levels were extremely low, so I was put on a mega dose 50000 iu prescription D2 once a week for eight weeks. I posted on the hormonal acne board that I think it's helping my skin, and I know I've read here and elsewhere that some people feel over the counter D3 really helped them as well.

I have oily skin, and as odd as it sounds if I skip wearing mineral makeup I seem to get new breakouts. I have this weird theory that the mineral makeup (which has definitely improved my skin since I started wearing it, incidentally) soaks up some of the excess oil, whereas when I don't wear it I end up looking like a shiny mess and my pores get clogged. Like I said, sounds strange, but this is what I've seen over the last few years.

The only cleanser I can use is Cetaphil. If I personally tried to wash my face with a cleanser containing olive oil I"m sure my face would punish me severely. (My skin hates anything with oil in it, even if it's "healthy" oil.)

Drinking tons of water, although some people swear by it, does not help me in the least. In fact I swear the more water I drink the worse my skin looks. I was drinking up to 100 ounces a day for over a year and never saw anything good come out of it.

I've been reading some interesting stuff on spearmint tea, actual scientific evidence that two cups a day can help with hirsutism (which I also have mildly) as well as acne. So I"m giving that a go - started today, so if I see any benefits I'll let you know.

I got married three years ago, so I know where you're coming from. The art of perfectly applied makeup was key. You'll be a beautiful bride no matter what, so as hard as it sounds please try not to stress out too much (yeah right, don't you hate it when people say that?)

I hope some of this helps - I'm sure other people will have some better advice for you as well!

Thanks kcr! It's nice to know I'm not alone in anticipating a wedding and experiencing breakouts. Yes, I am stressed out these days. My contract at work has come to an end and I just found out that it won't be renewed, so I'm now unemployed and when I come back from my honeymoon I won't have a job to come back to. That only adds to money worries since paying for a wedding is expensive!

Stievamyacin is erythromycin and tretinoin in combination. I can't tell if it's helping or not yet. I think I will go back to using cetaphil cleanser since I've been breaking out like mad for the past two weeks ever since I bought the olive oil soap. It drives me nuts that I can't figure out what is causing these breakouts!

I already drink a lot of water and it doesn't make a difference in my skin as well. I'll pick up some zinc and see if that improves my skin. At this point I'm just so desperate. I know I won't have completely clear skin for my wedding, I just want decent skin and I'd be happy with only 2 or 3 pimples. I'll also try the spearmint tea because like you, I also have mild hirsutism. Thankfully I do have really good makeup that can at least cover the redness. I'm hoping that my skin will improve and people won't notice my bad skin that much. Will it ever end?

I noticed you're in Canada -- have you ever tried SpectroJel? I find it's one of the most gentle face cleansers out there and they make one for blemish prone skin. This probably will sound like a silly question, but have you ever followed the regimen? I started breaking out when I stopped taking birth control and had the biggest breakout of my life in February - I'm 28 years old and have been married 1 year and a half. The regimen has really helped me and is getting me to the point where I can have nearly normal skin again and now try and figure out what's going on and what I can do from the inside to fix it. I agree with kcr that you maybe shouldn't try too many new things at once and go very slowly in anything you do try to avoid making things worse. But two months is still plenty of time to get your skin on the way to being clear.

You're definitely not alone.

Congrats on getting married!

My advice would be to completely eliminate dairy and fruit for the next two months. Also, try to sleep well as many nights as you can, which means going to bed around the same time each night and sleeping for at least 8 hours. If you wake up each morning at the same time without the help of an alarm clock...it probably means you're sleeping well.

Doing those three things has vastly improved my own acne.

However, if that doesn't work after a few weeks, try adding a low dosage zinc supplement (around 15 mg) each night before bed. While I am not a doctor, and there ARE long term risks in consuming excess zinc via supplements, I have found that taking zinc does improve my acne.

Lastly, eat and drink things that reduce inflammation. You said you eat fish, but try eating more vegetables, as well as spices such as ginger or turmeric.

Good luck!

I wish great skin upon you for your wedding, and I hope that you will find something that clears you up! Luckily, you still have a couple months to try new things out. I have a few questions:

Did you recently come off of birth control (within the last year or less?)

How long have you eaten healthy foods?

How long have you been active and in good shape or have you always been?

Have you every had an allergy test for things like dust, pollen, or food allergies?

Have you had a blood test in the last little while, if so, was the liver function portion of your test within a healthy range?

Do you drink milk or eat other dairy products?

What supplements do you currently take (vitamins, herbs, other)?

Can you post what a typical daily meal would be for you?

Do you have any other health conditions (even minor ones?)

Have you ever been tested for candida?

Do you ever feel bloated after a meal?

Sorry, I know that's a TONNE of questions!

I have to comment on a few things:

As per Alternatvists on acne.org (a very knowledgable member who posts frequently and has done vast amounts of research on acne):

There are different enzymes that convert Testosterone to DHT. Type 1 effects DHT that binds to oil follicles. And type 2 effects DHT that binds to hair follicles.

Spearmint tea contains a substance that is a Type 2 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor. Therefore, Spearmint tea is specifically going to help with hirsutism, but probably not help acne or oily skin at all.

One of the studies comments that peppermint tea has a more estrogenic effect and might help some people because of that. But it might make some people worse. And this implies that spearmint also has an estrogenic affect, just less of one.

As for Spectrogel, I have tried both the regular and the acne prone versions over the past few years, and found that it left my oily skin still feeling oily. I'm now currently using a cleanser that can only be bought online called "OliveVitale Alpha Lipoic Acid Foaming Cleanser", it's organic, and packed with antioxidents, and the only preservatives used are Vitamins A, C, and E, which I really like. It's super gentle, and I love the foaminess of it. I was using a gel cleanser previous to this one, and it wasn't until I switched to this cleanser, that I realized my skin was constantly flushed looking. Once I started using the foaming cleanser, I noticed that my skin tone evened out, and I didn't have that flushed look all the time from dehydrating my skin.

I would recommend keeping whatever regimin you choose as natural as possible, giving whatever you choose at least a month to see if it's working, and not changing or adding new things often. Do some research on "anti-inflammatory foods and acne", and also "importance of a PH balanced body". Make sure not to eat foods that create insulin spikes (high GI foods), and stick to lots of vegies, fruits (but not too many fruits due to sugars), and fish. You are already active which is great. :)

As for supplements, I would suggest taking a good quality multivitamin (Progressive and New Chapter as very reputable brands), omega 3-6-9 blend (Udos oil is renoundly known for their superior quality oils), and vitamin C.

I know that other posters said that stress didn't really contribute to their acne, but I for one have found that when I'm stressed out, especially around final exam times, my skin never fails to break out. When your body is stressed, it releases cortisol, which stimulates the secretion of sebum, which may or may night lead to acne, but it's just a thought.

These things may or may not help you, but they are safe to try nonetheless.

Please answer my questions above and post them, it might help you get to the bottem of figuring out your acne!

Edited by Polska Laska

I have had acne for almost 6 years now (I'm 26) and my skin is finally clearing up. Here's what I do:

1. Green smoothie every morning (Has made my skin less oily)

2. Supplements - probiotic, vit C, cinnamon, evening primrose oil, vitamin D, alpha lipoic acid

3. I use a gentle cleanser then moisturize w/ jojoba oil, and use tea tree oil as a spot treatment

I also sometimes do aspirin masks, they rock!

Oh ya, I also avoid dairy, caffeine, fatty foods

Hang in there, everyone else's advice is good too....

Don't be afraid to try new things, I was afriad to try the green smoothies and the supplements, but I'm glad I did!

Thanks for everyone's support and advice! TMB, yes, I'm in Vancouver and I just bought SpectroJel today. I'm hoping that helps.

Polska Laska, thank you for taking an interest in my situation. You have a lot of great information. Here's the answers to your questions:

Did you recently come off of birth control (within the last year or less?) I've been off BCP for 4 years.

How long have you eaten healthy foods? I've been eating healthy for about three years. I still indulge in the occasional dessert, bowl of chips and McDonalds (I'm so ashamed, but it's only once every 2-3 months).

How long have you been active and in good shape or have you always been? I've always been athletic and active. Spring and summer are the seasons I'm most active though.

Have you every had an allergy test for things like dust, pollen, or food allergies? No, but I'm interested in getting tested for food allergies. I get itchy, red eyes and runny nose in the spring and I know I have a problem with mould which I have around the windows in my apartment. I get a lot of sinus problems since moving into this apartment.

Have you had a blood test in the last little while, if so, was the liver function portion of your test within a healthy range? I had a whole slew of blood tests last June when I became pregnant for the first time (I miscarried two months later). All my tests were normal including liver and thyroid.

Do you drink milk or eat other dairy products? I don't drink milk but I eat cheese quite often and eat yogurt every morning. I guess I'll cut those out next along with fruit. I eat a lot of fruit.

What supplements do you currently take (vitamins, herbs, other)? I've been taking a prenatal vitamin for a couple of months because we're going to try again after the wedding (My acne has not gotten better or worse since taking the prenatal). I also take a Vit D, B Complex, 2000 grams of wild salmon pills and Benefibre.

Can you post what a typical daily meal would be for you? Breakfast- yogurt and a banana & an apple, or oatmeal, or poached egg on toasted whole wheat english muffin. I always have fruit with breakfast. Lunch-veggie soup or sandwich/wrap with chicken or turkey. Snack- fruit, like an apple or melon or pineapple. Dinner- sushi or roasted chicken breast or salmon with veggies and a salad. I always eat a big salad with lots of leafy greens and veggies at dinner time. Dessert- rarely, but sometimes cake or a bowl of chips. I occasionally drink wine, but in moderation. I never drink pop. I'm thinking I eat a lot of fruit, yogurt and eggs and should eliminate those three things from my diet and see if my acne improves. I've already eliminated caffeine.

Do you have any other health conditions (even minor ones?) IBS with constipation, frequent yeast infections and fibrocystic breasts.

Have you ever been tested for candida? No.

Do you ever feel bloated after a meal? All the time!

Edited by Sunnygirl

Almost a month of no caffeine and I don't see a difference.

IMHO, caffeine affects acne if it affects melatonin. If you were previously already avoiding evening caffeine, then I wouldn't expect giving it up altogether to matter. If you're already doing other things to destroy your melatonin cycle (going to bed at different times on different days, sleeping in light pollution, using alcohol/drugs that affect melatonin, sleeping few hours and needing an alarm clock to wake up, etc.), then I also wouldn't expect giving up caffeine to matter.

I also exercise five times a week to Jillian Michaels and those are really intensive workouts.

I wonder if those workouts are close to bedtime. Exercise usually proves to help the nocturnal melatonin surge, but exceptions sometimes appear when being too vigorous too close to bedtime.

The simplest, most likely to produce dramatic effects step you can take is pick a sunny weekend. Spend both days with your eyes directly exposed to the sky (no hat, no sunglasses) all day (>=12 hours), avoid high-fructose foods like apples/juices, eat only during the hours you're in bright light, sleep in total darkness for >8 hours both nights, and see whether the result is a drastic reduction or elimination of new acne. At a minimum, you should notice an immediate effect on your digestion when 2 days of day-long outdoor bright light exposure lets the digestive system know it's daytime for a change.

If you're going to take a zinc pill (which I would predict unlikely to help much unless you can get a normal melatonin cycle going), then a modest dose (200mcg) of selenium is a good bet (may already be in your multivitamin). Selenium helps zinc move to where it needs to be to participate in the dampening of the over-active immune response that is probably the key trigger to acne.

IMHO. :D

Thanks for everyone's support and advice! TMB, yes, I'm in Vancouver and I just bought SpectroJel today. I'm hoping that helps.

Polska Laska, thank you for taking an interest in my situation. You have a lot of great information. Here's the answers to your questions:

Did you recently come off of birth control (within the last year or less?) I've been off BCP for 4 years.

How long have you eaten healthy foods? I've been eating healthy for about three years. I still indulge in the occasional dessert, bowl of chips and McDonalds (I'm so ashamed, but it's only once every 2-3 months).

How long have you been active and in good shape or have you always been? I've always been athletic and active. Spring and summer are the seasons I'm most active though.

Have you every had an allergy test for things like dust, pollen, or food allergies? No, but I'm interested in getting tested for food allergies. I get itchy, red eyes and runny nose in the spring and I know I have a problem with mould which I have around the windows in my apartment. I get a lot of sinus problems since moving into this apartment.

Have you had a blood test in the last little while, if so, was the liver function portion of your test within a healthy range? I had a whole slew of blood tests last June when I became pregnant for the first time (I miscarried two months later). All my tests were normal including liver and thyroid.

Do you drink milk or eat other dairy products? I don't drink milk but I eat cheese quite often and eat yogurt every morning. I guess I'll cut those out next along with fruit. I eat a lot of fruit.

What supplements do you currently take (vitamins, herbs, other)? I've been taking a prenatal vitamin for a couple of months because we're going to try again after the wedding (My acne has not gotten better or worse since taking the prenatal). I also take a Vit D, B Complex, 2000 grams of wild salmon pills and Benefibre.

Can you post what a typical daily meal would be for you? Breakfast- yogurt and a banana & an apple, or oatmeal, or poached egg on toasted whole wheat english muffin. I always have fruit with breakfast. Lunch-veggie soup or sandwich/wrap with chicken or turkey. Snack- fruit, like an apple or melon or pineapple. Dinner- sushi or roasted chicken breast or salmon with veggies and a salad. I always eat a big salad with lots of leafy greens and veggies at dinner time. Dessert- rarely, but sometimes cake or a bowl of chips. I occasionally drink wine, but in moderation. I never drink pop. I'm thinking I eat a lot of fruit, yogurt and eggs and should eliminate those three things from my diet and see if my acne improves. I've already eliminated caffeine.

Do you have any other health conditions (even minor ones?) IBS with constipation, frequent yeast infections and fibrocystic breasts.

Have you ever been tested for candida? No.

Do you ever feel bloated after a meal? All the time!

Well, your diet and lifestyle look great, as for allergies, certain seasonal allergies trigger food sensitivities in many individuals (I'm allergic to birch elm pollen, and get itchy or breakout when eating apples, carrots, and a few other things) however, diet, allergies, and lifestyle don't seem to be your problem. I am also a fit, active woman and I eat a very healthy diet, however I suddenly developed acne when I stopped taking birth control after 3 years, and I had clear skin my entire life.

I have a feeling you are going through what I am at the moment, a canadida overgrowth in the body, especially since you have frequent yeast infections! Candida overgrowth can cause SO many symptoms like acne, bloating after meals, eczema, and sinusitis to name a few (These are the symptoms that I experienced). You can do a free little test to check if you have an overgrowth of candida. If you fill a cup with water, and spit into it, your spit should sink right down. If you have an overgrowth of candida in your body, the spit will kind of trickle down into what looks like strings. This test is obviously not going to be as accurate as going to a naturopath or holistic doctor for a candida test, but it's free, and it has been tried and tested by many people on candida forums (both results were found, spit flat out sinking, and spit sitting at the top and "stringing").

You should do some research on candida symptoms, and some general reading on Candida. My situation was a bit different from yours in that I developed candida overgrowth after going off of birth control (which is very common after bcps or antibiotics). Excess candida is very common, but many people don't realize that they have it, because they experience different symptoms. I would suggest adding a good quality probiotic to your supplements. You may want to do some research on that as well (basically putting the good bacteria into your body and getting rid of the bad - candida).

I hope that you find this information useful, best of luck! Let us know how you are doing along the way!

- Jayne

Edited by Polska Laska

Thanks for the info databased, I agree with getting direct sunlight but living in Vancouver it's hard since we get a lot of rain and it's grey and cloudy for the majority of the year. When it is sunny I'm outside as much as I can.

I also work out after getting up in the morning. The latest I'll work out is around 5 or 6pm before dinner but that's rare, so it's not disrupting my sleep at all. I actually sleep really well and get around 8-9 hours a night.

Polska Laska, I wouldn't doubt it if my problem stemmed from a canadida overgrowth. I think I will eliminate fruit until after the wedding to see if that's contributing to my acne. I'm hesitant to give up yogurt even though I just bought probiotics. What are people's opinion on yogurt and acne anyways?

I also bought niacin from Capers Market. 500mg of the non-flush kind since I've read posts from people that say it helps clear them. I'm so lost in all of this yet I've been struggling for so long. :wall:

Have you tried avoiding the most common foods to which people are allergic or intolerant like wheat/gluten and dairy? All wheat/gluten and dairy?

The giant cysts I used to get on my neck/jawline and temples turned out to be a reaction to citrus, btw.

If I were you, I would eat a very hypo-allergenic nutrient dense diet keeping all meals/snacks/drinks low GL. Here's a list of the most hypo-allergenic foods that also happen to be among the best, most nutrient rich and anti-inflammatory foods:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2356573 (scroll down a bit) And here's more info on food intolerances including the most common culprits: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...19#entry2574119

And keep sleeping well, get moderate exercise and try to relax.

Good Luck.

Edited by alternativista

but living in Vancouver it's hard since we get a lot of rain and it's grey and cloudy for the majority of the year.

I'm in Seattle. You've no less light than me. I try to be careful to say "bright outdoor light" instead of sunlight. You don't need your eyes in the sun, you need more intense light than you can get indoors (unless you set up a lot of bright light). Outdoors on a cloudy day is much brighter than being indoors, enough brighter to trigger the digestive changes relevant to acne.

When it is sunny I'm outside as much as I can.

For most people, that's much less than 12 hours and involves lots of shielding of light from the eyes (hats, sunglasses).

I also bought niacin from Capers Market. 500mg of the non-flush kind since I've read posts from people that say it helps clear them.

There are several different chemical formulations of niacin. Some come with a risk of liver damage. Others have never shown any relevant effect on acne. You can actually purchase over the counter the same active ingredients used in a safe, prescription form of niacin that has shown clinical evidence of improving acne symptoms.

What are people's opinion on yogurt and acne anyways?

That's individual. Yogurt and other fermented products tend to be less problematic than milk but it still depends on how intolerant you may be. But like I said, if I were you, I'd follow a very hypo-allergenic diet at least until the wedding. And dairy along with wheat/gluten is at the top of the list of most common allergens.

Databased and alternativista, you both have some great advice. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Alternavista, I looked over the hypoallergenic diet list of foods to avoid and I realized that I eat four foods on a daily basis that are on the list: yogurt, bananas, tomatoes and eggs. There's others too that I eat on a regular basis although not daily: bell peppers, citrus fruit, all other fruit on the list, peanuts, shrimp and shellfish. I figure if my wedding is now a little over seven weeks away and it's supposed to be the most important day of my life, I can abstain from those foods to achieve the clear skin I desperately want. I'll keep updating any changes.

Alternavista, I looked over the hypoallergenic diet list of foods to avoid and I realized that I eat four foods on a daily basis that are on the list: yogurt, bananas, tomatoes and eggs.

???? Above you said a typical breakfast includes an English muffin. That's wheat/gluten which tops the list. No bread!

Edited by alternativista

Alternavista, I looked over the hypoallergenic diet list of foods to avoid and I realized that I eat four foods on a daily basis that are on the list: yogurt, bananas, tomatoes and eggs.

???? Above you said a typical breakfast includes an English muffin. That's wheat/gluten which tops the list. No bread!

I don't eat bread/wheat everyday. The foods I listed, yogurt, bananas, tomatoes and eggs, I eat everyday.

Trust me, I want clear skin for my wedding day I'm totally prepared to follow the hypoallergenic diet completely :angel:

Trust me, I want clear skin for my wedding day I'm totally prepared to follow the hypoallergenic diet completely :angel:

Well, Good Luck. I'd also eat healthy fats like olive oil, fish or fish/krill oil supplements for healthy sebum that makes your skin glow rather than look greasy. But don't over do it in this short period before the wedding. Some people react badly to fats, even the good ones.

I'd also avoid sources of a lot of caffeine in favor of herbal teas. Have an assortment so you aren't affected negatively by any one like the above mentioned mint tea which has an estrogenic effect which could help or hurt. Try the mint, rooibos, chamomile. And green but not too much because of the caffeine. Unsweetened of course. I make pitchers of iced mostly mint tea but with a little green tea to drink throughout the day. Chamomile or 'sleepytime' blend at night. You could splurge on Republic of Teas 'Get Georgeous' which is a blend of rooibos, chamomile and chasteberry which as an herb people take for hormones. Some people say it helps. I bought a tin once when it was on sale, but didn't notice anything special. All these teas are anti-inflammatory which can only help.

Also, keep meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL.

i now how you fell about your wedding and wanting to be clear.

me and the girl i've been with for 12 years now are planing to go to the court house wedneday and get married.nothing fancy just us and a few friends.

but im really stressing out over my breakout.i really dont want to go through with it looking like this.if i dont i know its going to break her heart. i really dont know what to do.i on dans regiman so maybe ill be clear enuff to cover it up with some makeup idk.

but anyway just wainted to wish you the best of luck and i deffinitely know how you fell

honestly, i've tried all those other treatments and the only thing (besides BC) that helps me clear up breakouts is 2.5% BP. I'm also getting married in a few months and just decided that something HAD to be done, so I started slathering it all over my face regimen style. I always thought my acne was too bad and my skin was too sensitive to use it, but my current acne cleared up really fast, and although my skin doesn't look the best it's ever looked, at least it's preventing most of the breakouts. I went from getting cysts all over my chin/mouth/lower cheek area to only getting a few this month. I have tried controlling acne through diet in the past, but it just takes so long and requires so much discipline to really see a change. Congratulations on getting married! You will look beautiful I am sure.

congrats! and so sorry to hear....it's just adding more stress to the situation. well, I'm not getting married, but I did have a sudden case of adult acne when I hit 28. I mostly nodular acne around my mouth, all around my chin and along my jawline. What I really believed changed all that was that I cut out dairy from my diet. I was never a big dairy person, but I didn't realize how much it snuck its way into my diet until I had to be very conscious of it. This means no milk in coffee, no butter on toast, no yogurt, no whipped topping on a coffee beverage, no cheese on a burger, and forget about mac n cheese. I stayed away from desserts and pastries for awhile too because I was worried about the butter and soy milk became my new friend.

Just like citrus caused acne for some and wheat/gluten in others, dairy was my trigger. It's nearing 5 months since I cut out dairy and I'm very happy. No new acne after 2-3 months in and even my scars have healed.

My other suggestion would be to try some meditation and yoga. No doubt with the wedding coming up, there's a ton of tasks to worry about. As a very hands-on bridesmaid (for several weddings), there won't be any less stress. However, if you can learn to channel it into positive energy and relax, it'll help with the stress and maybe the stress is also a major factor in your breakout.

Oh and finally, do you maybe have a habit of touching your temples or playing with your hair when you're stressed? This habit may contribute to the pimples on your hairline.

best of luck

Edited by cml

I'm getting really discouraged! I'm still breaking out and have three big cysts on the right side of my chin and a few new ones on my neck. I'm being diligent about no dairy and sticking to the hypoallergenic diet but I haven't seen any difference. I know it's only been a week since implementing the new changes but I just feel totally bummed. How the hell am I supposed to walk down the aisle when I don't even want to look at myself in the mirror?

Others already hit it on the head, I highly suspect that your acne is related to a strong Candida Over-growth and is causing food sensitivities within your body. As Alterna mentioned get rid of all sources of gluten (bread, pasta, cake, McDonalds, soy sauce, wheat etc) and eliminate all fruits, as well as any nuts or sources of mold, fungi (mushrooms) at least until your wedding.

If in fact you do have Candida, your immune system is weakened and really needs some good nutrition in the form of diet and supplements.

Any other symptoms aside from acne? Any itchy skin? Dry skin? Cold hands and feet? Mood swings? Dandruff or scalp issues? Seems like the stress of the wedding has creeped up on you without you realizing fully until now.

Actually here's a great link with TONS of info on how to properly get on a Candida diet. Everything you would want to know from expelling toxins, to why sea salt is good for you.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/

And just my thoughts, ditch all dairy expect for organic butter. As Alterna mentioned, yogurt and other fermented foods can cause issues when your system is bogged down, even if they didn't in the past, your much better off without them for now. And I wouldn't ditch eggs unless you specifically notice you break out from them, which although it happens is very rare.

I know several people who have followed this routine and got rid of many of their ailments from allergies, to head-aches, to IBS, to acne. It definitely takes time but you can see great progress if you get on it for the next two months.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!