Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kcr

Yasmin/Ocella for women over 35?

I've been on Sprintec for 2 months, not happy with the fluid retention, and what appears to be increased unwanted hair growth. I was thinking of switching to Ocella, which is the generic version of Yasmin - but I am concerned because all pills, Yasmin in particular, always mention particular side effect concerns for women over 35.

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen/Tri Sprintec for many, many years, so I'm no stranger to the pill. Any of you over 35-ers out there on Yasmin or Ocella, and can you share your thoughts on it? Thanks!!!

There must be some over 35-yr-olds taking Yaz, Yasmin or Ocella out there? Anyone? I'd love to be able to get more info about this before I talk to my doctor next week.

I'm 38 and on Yaz. I'm very happy with Yaz and haven't experienced any negative side effects.

It has cleared my hormonal acne dramatically. I have much lighter and less painful periods.

If your doctor agrees, I'd say give it a try.

Thanks for replying! - oh, and I love your user name :)

Did your doctor mention specific risk factors about Yaz? I know there's way more press out there about the risks of Yasmin and Yaz, even though there's risks for all BCPs. But if the risk factor for Yaz/Yasmin is only due to the chance of increased potassium I'm not that worried, because I was on Spiro for almost a year, didn't modify my diet at all and my potassium levels actually went down over the course of that treatment.

Thanks. Lol.

The derm said that the dose isn't high enough to have a serious effect on potassium levels.

Another possible side effect is blood clots in the legs. I mentioned that I have a cousin who gets blood clots and had to stop the BC. The derm said that the relation isn't close enough to be a cause for concern (a sibling would be different).

Good luck.