Notifications
Clear all

product reviews for life after accutane

MemberMember
(@lindoll)

Posted : 04/19/2010 4:31 am

just a guide outlining which products have been amazing and which have been a dud for me after accutane from dealing with redness, dry skin to scars, oily skin and make up. hopefully someone will find it helpful. ;)

cetaphil gentle skin cleanser = it was good to use this during accutane, but once the med was out of my system (a month after accutane) i found that it didn't have a lot of oil control as i have combination skin (the worst) - dry in some areas and very oily too!

cetaphil oily skin cleanser = my dermatoligist gave me this to try - it was only a 30 ml sample and now, a year later, i still have about 20ml left. i prefer foamy face washes and also i don't think it did much to my skin ie didn't control break outs etc. it did smell nice though. :)

neutrogena rapid clear oil-eliminating foaming cleanser = i've just finished using this and might go buy it again. i love the foam and it did control my break outs esp. when i first started using the product. if i felt like my skin was going to breakout i could use this and it usually wouldn't erupt out of my skin the next day.

i tried this other neutrogena product, but can't remember the name of it. it was also part of the rapid clear range and it was pretty good as well. i would definitely recommend neutrogena products for acne prone skin in general.

emu oil = i used this for the redness and scaring. beware that there could be A LOT of redness in the first couple of months after accutane, but it will go away after that. it was good for the redness, but didn't do much to heal the scars (the scars did not come from accutane. i got some scars before i started the tane and i just didn't notice them before with all that acne).

bio oil = i used this on my body a few years ago and it worked pretty well. i wasn't sure if i wanted to try it on my face as i thought it might make my skin break out, but it has been really good. i use this in place of a moisturizer at night and only use a little bit as it is an oil.

st ives apricot scrub blemish fighting = i've heard a lot of good things about st ives and just recently bought the product. it has been amazing so far. it leaves my skin very soft and hopefully the exfoliation will get rid of all that dead skin and help the scaring too.

jane iradale liquid and pressed powder foundation = i actually used this during accutane and it was good as it it's a mineral make up. i liked the pressed powder the best as you can use it with a wet sponge for better coverage. it has moderate coverage and it's expensive.

dermablend cover creme = this product has the best coverage out of all of the foundation or concealer i've ever tried on. i was scared about using this on my face as i thought it could make me break out as it looks quite thick, but so far so good. i've been using it for the past few months and no break outs from it yet. *fingers crossed* it also has spf 30+

sun sense daily face matt formula = i use this as a moisturizer during the day sometimes after bio oil (if my skin doesn't feel too oily) and i also used it during accutane too. it has spf 30+. i always feel weird not having this on before i put on my make up.

revelon new complexion foundation = i have the sand beige one and it goes pretty well with my skin tone. the main pro of this product is that it is very light and feels nice on the skin.

best advice for both during and after accutane: drink A LOT of water!

MemberMember
(@ihateacne96)

Posted : 06/17/2014 5:40 am

hello ive been off accutane for about 2 weeks now and reading up online it says to wait 30 days untill it leaves your system to go out in the sun etc, so i was wondering what i should do with my skin now, i have quite a few red marks and havent had anymore breakouts for months, while i was on accutane, i was washing my fash with a little simple brand soap in lukewarm water and putting on moistuiser night and day and was keeping the dryness away was a senstive simple moistisuer so it didnt harm my skin, i have been using simple mosituser still but i have been using it just at night andjust washing my skin in the morning and not putting anything on it, its seems to be very dry, i thought it might help me shed skin, but its just feeling itchy and dry, therefore im not sure what routine to use throughout the 30 days?

HELP WOULD BE REALLY APPRICATEd as im really nervous i will breakout again from drying my skin out :(

HELP :(

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/11/2015 8:06 pm

Okay, so I realize that this is an old post, but I love it! I want to hear what more of you guys are doing or planning to do post/accutane, especially if you're already done and found a routine that is working for your new skin. I'm gradually changing all of my products over to non-comedogenic versions. I'm only on Day 19, but here is my current regimen:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser - For face using Dan's technique of barely touching the face and patting dry

Cetaphil Body Wash - Just started with this. It was the only body wash I could find that was completely non-comedogenic. Scent Free, feels nice.

Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream - Just bought this today for the body. I really like the way it feels and that it's also completely non-comedogenic. I will add jojoba if necessary.

Acne.org Moisturizer - I'm really enjoying this, but I don't know if I'll order it next time. I'm really happy with Cetaphil's products and they have a facial moisturizer that is completely non-comedogenic, while this moisturizer has one comedogenic ingredient. I like the presence of jojoba in this version, but I can always add jojoba to any moisturizer.

Acne.org Jojoba Oil - I'm not dry enough to really need this yet, but I do anyway. I don't feel greasy afterwards, and I like the way it feels.

Olay Professional ProX Eye Cream - I've had this around for a few years, and since I've been spending so much time on my face, I figure I will use it up.

My plans for after Accutane (I'm sure these plans will change, but I'd love to get some opinions on this!):

Cetaphil Body Wash - This is just a sensitive skin, scent free body wash, and I won't have to worry about it clogging my pores and causing the return of my acne, so I figure I may as well stick with it.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser - I plan on continuing with this until/if my oily skin returns, and then switching to the Cetaphil for Oily Skin.

Cetaphil Moisturizer - I'll continue with the thick moisturizer for my body. I haven't decided which one for the face, but I'll pick up one with SPF for the morning and another one without for the evening.

Acne.org Jojoba Oil - I plan on adding this to my facial moisturizer as much as possible. I am reading that it will help my skin to produce less oil because it isn't over-reacting to dryness. Thoughts?

Benzoil Peroxide - I want to have this in the house to combine with AHA for spot treatment (ZIIT) method. I've always had full pores, especially on my chin, so, if that comes back, I plan on using a small amount of benzoil peroxide, just in those areas. Otherwise, I'll just end up squeezing it out and stressing my skin again.

AHA - Apparently physical exfoliators irritate your skin and it responds with acne, SO, I'm going to use AHA instead of any form of scrub, etc..

What's your plan for after Accutane? I'd love some suggestions!