Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpasticBastard

Question for the ladies.

Hey Gals!

Quick question here about "That Time of the Month"...

I know that - no matter how awesome your regimen is - whenever hormones come into play, acne finds a way of popping up regardless of our best efforts.

I have a very effective acne-clearing system going for me at the moment, but all of my efforts are put to shame by resilient hormonal acne (mainly nasty white heads) whenever I get my period. Thankfully I am able to clear up these hormonal break outs within another month, but I'd like to stop them in their tracks before they arise. Because honestly, they kick my face's ass every time, and for about a week I'm left looking as gross as ever.

Are there any methods out there to control hormonal acne before it emerges? Vitamins? Special diets? Stress reducers? Hormone therapy type cures? Special products that won't destroy my skin? Hopefully some ladies out there know what I'm going through and can help!

Any small hints/tips would be wildly appreciated!

Hey there,

Sorry I don't have a miracle cure but would definately like to know if anyone does! I'm currently suffering with hormonal acne at its worst with lots of big yellow heads and lumps and bumps on my chin. My doc has prescribed me the Yasmin birth control pill which is supposed to help with spots but it's had the opposite effect with me :doh: One thing I will say is that whilst I was on the Dianette birth control I didnt get any hormonal spots, not even around that time of the month! That might be something worth taking a look at if its bothering you! Good luck xx

I've heard birth control either helps or makes it worse. Personally, I'd like to try because I know EXACTLY what you mean.

My roomie (former severe acne sufferer) has been on birth control for a year now and has very much improved, 90% clear skin, with just the occasional breakout. But of course, she uses Differin as well. :confused:

I just worry that being on birth control is too severe a solution for acne, ya know? But at a certain point, I'll be willing to try anything x3

Edited by SpasticBastard

My roomie (former severe acne sufferer) has been on birth control for a year now and has very much improved, 90% clear skin, with just the occasional breakout. But of course, she uses Differin as well. :confused:

I just worry that being on birth control is too severe a solution for acne, ya know? But at a certain point, I'll be willing to try anything x3

Ooh, I'm glad to hear a Differin user has a success rate that high since I am starting it myself!! As for the BC, what do you feel is severe about it? Just wondering

Indeed, my roomie swears by Differin! And she suffered from acne far worse than mine! I am amazed at her transformation, and very much tempted to steal it from her every night x3

As for the birth control, it's fairly simple; I'm a damned dirty hippie, (hee hee :lol: ) and the idea of shutting down/tampering with the female body's natural function in such an intrusive manner seems illogical. Not only that, but several close friends of mine have experienced extreme side affects from birth control (blood clots/stroke) which has understandably left a bad impression. I know the chances are slim, but I am not going to risk such just to clear red spots from my skin.

Granted, we tamper with our bodies every day, from drinking coffee to give us energy to taking medicine to make our headaches go away, but something about deliberate hormonal manipulation on such a large scale seems inherently wrong. Especially if I just want to clear acne. There should be a more naturally occurring solution, right?

I dunno, could be wrong. I am close to clearing my acne hippie-style though, so maybe it's not so far fetched! :surprised:

Indeed, my roomie swears by Differin! And she suffered from acne far worse than mine! I am amazed at her transformation, and very much tempted to steal it from her every night x3

As for the birth control, it's fairly simple; I'm a damned dirty hippie, (hee hee :lol: ) and the idea of shutting down/tampering with the female body's natural function in such an intrusive manner seems illogical. Not only that, but several close friends of mine have experienced extreme side affects from birth control (blood clots/stroke) which has understandably left a bad impression. I know the chances are slim, but I am not going to risk such just to clear red spots from my skin.

Granted, we tamper with our bodies every day, from drinking coffee to give us energy to taking medicine to make our headaches go away, but something about deliberate hormonal manipulation on such a large scale seems inherently wrong. Especially if I just want to clear acne. There should be a more naturally occurring solution, right?

I dunno, could be wrong. I am close to clearing my acne hippie-style though, so maybe it's not so far fetched! :surprised:

Hahaha that is great. Well I am glad you are seeing some success!! Yay for you :) I don't have the patience

Added the bolded part to make that section more obvious.

I saw a thread in the Research forum recently about naproxen sodium (Aleve) ... said it was supposed to be very effective against premenstrual acne. link here

I tried it out this month, and it worked very well for me. I took two Aleve tablets each day, one with breakfast and one right after dinner -- and I only got two tiny, tiny pimples the whole week.

Normally during PMS week I would get a number of these little ones popping up on my nose and chin each day.

I stopped taking a regular dose of the Aleve as soon my period started, although I have taken one at night a couple of times since. From what I understand, you really have to be careful not to take too much ... it can cause stomach bleeding and other unpleasant side effects.

I heard taking Evening Primrose Oil helps with hormonal acne. Gonna try it myself!! Good Luck:)