Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpasticBastard

That "Special Time of the Month"

Because I am usually overly verbose in my postings, I'll try and keep this desperate plea for help short...

For about a month now I have been following a regimen of gentle face cleansing and daily egg white masks - a system which has truly kicked ass on acne, acne scars and unsightly pores. I have been ecstatic with these results, (as you can read on my blog) and more than a little convinced that I'd found the perfect, all-natural acne cure. Until very recently.

Problem is, my 'miracle cure' (and ego) was shattered just this week when that wretched 'time of the month' came around, and about a dozen unsightly whiteheads and the like popped up despite the great efforts of my egg white masks.

I am devastated that my new found 'miracle cure' can not withstand hormonal outbursts, and so with this in mind I pose my question;

What other healthy, all-natural regimens/techniques/ingredients/etc. may I use to boost the effectiveness of my regimen and my skin's resistance to acne during hormonal periods?

In other words, what do you ladies do to keep your hormonal acne in check during your period?

I love my egg white masks, and would really rather not turn to using nasty chemicals like BP and Salicylic acid to fix nasty flare-ups if I can help it.

Help?

Hmm, well I see that you've already discovered jojoba and tea tree oil (which are a big part of my regimen).

Have you tried steaming (before using the mask)? I steam before I do the aspirin mask.

Also I don't know what supplements you take but my skin improved a lot when I started taking Evening Primrose Oil (which is supposed to regulate hormones).

Good luck! I totally know how it feels to have a break out after being zit free for a while. It sucks!

I'm in the same boat! Every time I think that my skin is clearing up, my period comes around and it's back to square one! I hope someone drops an answer in this thread, I would love to know how to combat period breakouts!

Edited by Polska Laska

I used to break out more during that time as well, but leafy greens help regulate hormones, and ever since doing daily green smoothies, it hasn't been an issue for me. There is a link in my signature that will take you to my green smoothie thread. It's an easy, everyday solution that takes about 5 minutes to prepare, and a side-benefit is that you're getting mega nutrients and fiber into your daily diet. Good luck! :)

I have been taking krill oil pills for about 3 months now and I am shocked and pleased with the results. After the first month of taking them, my breasts no longer get painfully sore right before TTOTM. I would normally get a few small cystic nodules on my right jaw line too. After the first month, I just got a small pimple on my jawline. Now after 3 months (knock on wood) I have not developed any hormonal breakouts on my right jawline.

I started a strict candida diet at the beginning of the year. After the first month of the diet, I added cheese and sour cream in moderation along with some healthy grains. I rarely eat sugar. That diet alone has helped with my oily skin and inflammation, but adding the krill oil has really helped, along with my diet.

lara6: I've heard SUCH good things about Evening Primrose Oil as it pertains to hormone control, and I think that's my next step =D I'd love to steam my face (and I try to get the same affect in the shower with hot water) but can't get my hands on one of those fancy steamers at the moment :( Nonetheless, I agree wholeheartedly; tea tree oil is the bomb! :D

Laska: Square one indeed =( All that effort for nothing!

Fairy: Leafy Greens, eh? Woah, reading that info from your posting is quite reassuring and exciting! I need to go out and get me some veggies to try this out! 6 weeks doesn't seem too long either to start seeing good results, far as most acne regimens go. :surprised: I'm willing to try mostly anything so long as it promises hormone regulation!

clc11: So diet changes have really worked for you? I keep reading on these websites about 'Acne Myths' that diet doesn't affect breakouts, and yet at the same time I read so many success stories about diet adjustments! But krill oil is certainly one I've never heard of! Krill like those tiny shrimp from the sea? I need to Google that! :shock:

Edited by SpasticBastard

I have zero knowledge of "that time of the month" and acne's correlation. However, one suggestion I can give, as others have already in this thread, is diet. Cutting out dairy and meat did wonders for me. Try to eat low Glycemic Load and high fat/protein. Doing these has tremendously helped my skin, although I am a male...just trying to help.

Fairy: Leafy Greens, eh? Woah, reading that info from your posting is quite reassuring and exciting! I need to go out and get me some veggies to try this out! 6 weeks doesn't seem too long either to start seeing good results, far as most acne regimens go. :surprised: I'm willing to try mostly anything so long as it promises hormone regulation!

clc11: So diet changes have really worked for you? I keep reading on these websites about 'Acne Myths' that diet doesn't affect breakouts, and yet at the same time I read so many success stories about diet adjustments! But krill oil is certainly one I've never heard of! Krill like those tiny shrimp from the sea? I need to Google that! :shock:

Yes, diet affects acne and hormones in many ways. Keeping low to moderate GL meal/snack/drink habits and all sorts of nutrients will help your body regulate hormones.

In addition to being packed with nutrients, those leafy greens also specifically help liver function and one of the liver's functions is to remove excess hormones from circulation. You can read more here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

I'm really glad you're hopeful about green smoothies and willing to give them a try! Let me know if I can be of any help to you, and good luck! :)