Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLSL

Confused about my scarring.

After continue use of Retin-A and BP, I have come to a conclusion that those peeled the top layers of my skin off, thus revealing damaged layers underneath... which has scars - from when I used to pick at my face in middle school. And a lot of scars. But 80% of them are not DEEP (Thank you Jesus.) I stopped using Retin-A, which is when I stopped noticing any new scars... and now I've stopped BP just in case.

HERE IS MY DILEMMA:

First off, I can NOT STAND these scars! Due to depression and stress, I've lost 10 lbs (haven't been hungry. At all,) I'm losing more strands of hair, I'm extremely weak and sick-looking, I got kicked out of school from missing so much, I haven't been out ANYWHERE, etc.

I know it's horrible for me to have come down to this - NO LIFE, but I can't help it. I feel helpless. Months ago I was scar-free, and looking back I took my okay skin for granted. I would do anything to rewind time. I am on anti-depressants; at least that helps with the suicidal thoughts I was having. I'm also on anti-anxiety medicine; that helps a little.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1) If Retin-A and BP (I'm sure exfoliating had to do with it also) took layers off my skin... How am I supposed to do peels or microdermabrasions to HELP with the scarring?

2) Would that^ not only make the scarring look worse, by peeling off more layers?

3) Do you think I am already down to the point that I would only see improvement from here?

Most important: 4) Should I keep peeling off layers of my skin, or be gentle and treat my acne scars as is?

I don't think I can handle my scarring getting worse... :cry: but I am determined to make them better.

Edited by Sapphire Lily

After continue use of Retin-A and BP, I have come to a conclusion that those peeled the top layers of my skin off, thus revealing damaged layers underneath... which has scars - from when I used to pick at my face in middle school. And a lot of scars. But 80% of them are not DEEP (Thank you Jesus.) I stopped using Retin-A, which is when I stopped noticing any new scars... and now I've stopped BP just in case.

HERE IS MY DILEMMA:

First off, I can NOT STAND these scars! Due to depression and stress, I've lost 10 lbs (haven't been hungry. At all,) I'm losing more strands of hair, I'm extremely weak and sick-looking, I got kicked out of school from missing so much, I haven't been out ANYWHERE, etc.

I know it's horrible for me to have come down to this - NO LIFE, but I can't help it. I feel helpless. Months ago I was scar-free, and looking back I took my okay skin for granted. I would do anything to rewind time. I am on anti-depressants; at least that helps with the suicidal thoughts I was having. I'm also on anti-anxiety medicine; that helps a little.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1) If Retin-A and BP (I'm sure exfoliating had to do with it also) took layers off my skin... How am I supposed to do peels or microdermabrasions to HELP with the scarring?

2) Would that^ not only make the scarring look worse, by peeling off more layers?

3) Do you think I am already down to the point that I would only see improvement from here?

Most important: 4) Should I keep peeling off layers of my skin, or be gentle and treat my acne scars as is?

I don't think I can handle my scarring getting worse... :cry: but I am determined to make them better.

Sapphire, I think me and you are in the EXACT same situation. I revealed scars I believe from using the Neutrogena acne mark fading peel(indents, boxcars). I also CANNOT stand it. I also have lost alot of my hair (telogen effluvium), but thankfully most of it came back in. I've lost weight, I'm probably 95lbs now when I was already very small at 100lbs. Just so you know, stopping anti-depressants may cause hair loss.

These are also my EXACT same questions, which is why I only have allowed my skin to try and heal naturally since they showed up on my face 8 months ago. I havent used the Retin A my derm told me would help me, I havent used anything except Vitamin E and neosporin, and occasionally my Proactive toner

I am sick of it and am now determined to get my old skin back. Please, if anyone knows the answers, HELP US!!! I'm 22 yrs old. I cant be dateless any longer or I will die an old unmarried hag.

BTW, I just looked at your pics in the other thread. Your skin looks way better than mine:( Your skin is actually pretty decent.

Edited by Lisa14

Sapphire, I think me and you are in the EXACT same situation. I revealed scars I believe from using the Neutrogena acne mark fading peel(indents, boxcars). I also CANNOT stand it. I also have lost alot of my hair (telogen effluvium), but thankfully most of it came back in. I've lost weight, I'm probably 95lbs now when I was already very small at 100lbs. Just so you know, stopping anti-depressants may cause hair loss.

These are also my EXACT same questions, which is why I only have allowed my skin to try and heal naturally since they showed up on my face 8 months ago. I havent used the Retin A my derm told me would help me, I havent used anything except Vitamin E and neosporin, and occasionally my Proactive toner

I am sick of it and am now determined to get my old skin back. Please, if anyone knows the answers, HELP US!!! I'm 22 yrs old. I cant be dateless any longer or I will die an old unmarried hag.

BTW, I just looked at your pics in the other thread. Your skin looks way better than mine:( Your skin is actually pretty decent.

I'm really glad (in a twisted way) that you replied. At least I know I'm not the only one going through this, but I'm sorry you are. I've been to a few dermatologists and all of them suggested that I keep using Retin-A. But since I've stopped, the scarring has stopped. So now I'm stuck. I've actually stopped doing anything to my face except wash it with Cetaphil cleanser in the morning and night. Which sucks because it does nothing for my acne and now I am getting a pimple here and there. I now weigh 120 lbs which isn't too bad, but I'm 5'6 and I'm losing more weight. I also have a Puerto Rican boyfriend whose whole family thinks curves are necessary (haha.) Has Vitamin E helped your face? I recently came across a thread on here ( http://www.acne.org/messageboard/camellia-oil-t70651.html ) about Silkia's Camellia Oil. I plan on purchasing it online tomorrow.. look up the reviews! It's put my mind to somewhat of an ease. Somehow, supposedly, it helps with indented scars by "filling" them in. It sounds too good to be true... but I'm desperate. People, please help Lisa and I with our questions!

Edited by Sapphire Lily

I totally know how you feel. I had scar-free skin 6 months ago and then i got hit by cystic acne and now left me with scars. I dont go out anywhere also and i was forced to be on anti-depressants as well. Even even wake up in the middle of the night due to constantly thinking about scars. graduate school is around the corner for me and i am afraid ppl will judge me now. : (

I'm really glad (in a twisted way) that you replied. At least I know I'm not the only one going through this, but I'm sorry you are. I've been to a few dermatologists and all of them suggested that I keep using Retin-A. But since I've stopped, the scarring has stopped. So now I'm stuck. I've actually stopped doing anything to my face except wash it with Cetaphil cleanser in the morning and night. Which sucks because it does nothing for my acne and now I am getting a pimple here and there. I now weigh 120 lbs which isn't too bad, but I'm 5'6 and I'm losing more weight. I also have a Puerto Rican boyfriend whose whole family thinks curves are necessary (haha.) Has Vitamin E helped your face? I recently came across a thread on here ( http://www.acne.org/messageboard/camellia-oil-t70651.html ) about Silkia's Camellia Oil. I plan on purchasing it online tomorrow.. look up the reviews! It's put my mind to somewhat of an ease. Somehow, supposedly, it helps with indented scars by "filling" them in. It sounds too good to be true... but I'm desperate. People, please help Lisa and I with our questions!

Its not twisted, its human. I was in complete and utter shock when it happened to me, I was just trying to get rid of red marks:( My body and mind were just in shock, I still am, I hated myself, etc...

I remember reading about that oil a long time ago before I decided not to do anything and it gave me hope. I will buy it now. Heck, it seems like I will buy anything right now. Vitamin E helped with some of the redness and heals pimples a bit faster. My indents have filled in quite a bit just over time, but I dont know if the vitamin e had anything to do with it.

I am just so lost. I dont know what to do. I think I will get subcision and TCA cross...i'm desperate.

OH, and guys PLEASSEEEEEEE HELP US. JUST.PLEASE.

Edited by Lisa14

I totally know how you feel. I had scar-free skin 6 months ago and then i got hit by cystic acne and now left me with scars. I dont go out anywhere also and i was forced to be on anti-depressants as well. Even even wake up in the middle of the night due to constantly thinking about scars. graduate school is around the corner for me and i am afraid ppl will judge me now. : (

I know what you mean. I'm constantly thinking about my scars - no matter what. I can't put my full focus on anything. It's really sad! I used to think my life sucked back then, but now I would give anything to have it back. I read your thread about a dermaroller. Is it helping?

Sapphire, are your buying the Silika camellia oil (sorry if I spelled it wrong). I think there was a few different brands mentioned on that thread.

Its not twisted, its human. I was in complete and utter shock when it happened to me, I was just trying to get rid of red marks:( My body and mind were just in shock, I still am, I hated myself, etc...

I remember reading about that oil a long time ago before I decided not to do anything and it gave me hope. I will buy it now. Heck, it seems like I will buy anything right now. Vitamin E helped with some of the redness and heals pimples a bit faster. My indents have filled in quite a bit just over time, but I dont know if the vitamin e had anything to do with it.

I am just so lost. I dont know what to do. I think I will get subcision and TCA cross...i'm desperate.

OH, and guys PLEASSEEEEEEE HELP US. JUST.PLEASE.

At least yours seem to be healing. I'm happy for you about that. I feel like my body is totally out of whack now, and I'm scared that my skin won't heal right. :( This sucksss. But I do have the money to get something professionally done to my face; I just don't know what! I also don't want to make matters worse. I just wish it would hurry up and heal by itself. I've heard about TCA cross and subcision, but I think that'll be my last resort...

Sapphire, are your buying the Silika camellia oil (sorry if I spelled it wrong). I think there was a few different brands mentioned on that thread.

Yes, I'm going to buy Silkia's Camellia Oil from goldportbeauty.com

I had acne last fall/winter and now that I'm clear, I'm starting to see scars too. They aren't big, but enough to be noticed. I can't tell if they've always been there and I didn't notice because they were red, or if they are just now showing up. I'm on my 5th lactic acid peel in a series of 6, so I wonder if these scars were hidden underneath my skin. Ugh, this is terrible! I also just started slowly adding CP serum into my routine. They say scars get worse before they get better with CP serum, so I'm hoping that's the case. If it's not better by next fall, I think I'll do a dermaroller.

I had acne last fall/winter and now that I'm clear, I'm starting to see scars too. They aren't big, but enough to be noticed. I can't tell if they've always been there and I didn't notice because they were red, or if they are just now showing up. I'm on my 5th lactic acid peel in a series of 6, so I wonder if these scars were hidden underneath my skin. Ugh, this is terrible! I also just started slowly adding CP serum into my routine. They say scars get worse before they get better with CP serum, so I'm hoping that's the case. If it's not better by next fall, I think I'll do a dermaroller.

Yes, it is terrible! I would rather have these scars hidden with skin then fix them... but I think I should do something about them before the scars get older and more stubborn to fix. And you have in mind JUST what I was researching: CP serum with peels and if not, then a dermaroller. At first I seriously thought I was cursed... because all of these dermatologists said these scars can not just appear and pushed laser treatments my way. It would've saved me a lot of worrying if they could have simply told me they were underneath layers of my skin. Acne.org has helped me cope... I officially dislike dermatologists. Keep me posted on how the CP serum and peels go. I also wonder how long/if it makes your scars worse and when does it start making scars better.

Edited by Sapphire Lily

Wait, so why does CP serum make them worse at first? For how long and when do you see results? WHY cant any treatment ever just have a positive side? Its so disheartening...

Wait, so why does CP serum make them worse at first? For how long and when do you see results? WHY cant any treatment ever just have a positive side? Its so disheartening...

Silkia's Camellia Oil doesn't make it worse before it gets better; I don't know why... and I don't even know if it really works. I've heard bad reviews on CP serum not working, but it's worth a try... it can possibly make it worse before it gets better because it also peels the top layers of your skin off and break down tissue/collagen - then builds it back up.

Also know that some mood disorder medications can cause acne and hair thinning/loss. Lamictal, the mood stabilizer I'm on, does both. So it may not be something you are doing wrong, it may just be a side effect of the medication. (But please don't go off it without consulting your psych doc, trust me, the physical effects are way better than the emotional pain of going without meds!)

Edited by Elsewhere

Topicals do *not* do anything for scars on their own. Chemical peels will do NOTHING. Retin-A or CP serum is USELESS on its own.

To get results anywhere near what you're probably looking for, the only option is to invest a few thousand dollars, DO TONS AND TONS OF RESEARCH, and get a real treatment.

/thread

Topicals do *not* do anything for scars on their own. Chemical peels will do NOTHING. Retin-A or CP serum is USELESS on its own.

To get results anywhere near what you're probably looking for, the only option is to invest a few thousand dollars, DO TONS AND TONS OF RESEARCH, and get a real treatment.

/thread

Thank you for the hope..

Edited by Sapphire Lily

/thread

i'm curious as to why you say this? do you have any experiences with these products/procedures to back up this statement. I'm not trying to be rude at all but just saying something doesnt work really isnt much. why are you saying that retinoids do nothing for acne? I am on differin which acts as a retinoid and retinoids help clear acne by speeding up cell turnover rates. because of this rapid exfoliation, this can lead to scars filling in (this personally happened to me) and fading of hyperpigmentation marks. I am not at all saying this will work for everyone or work the same way but i wouldnt say that this would work for everyone. My uncle is a plastic surgeon and does lasar scar removal procedures and i know for a fact they work for most people. I personally know nothing about CP serum.

Personally though i have had multiple mild chemical peels preformed and they did make my face peel (sometimes an extreme amount, sometimes barely at all) but every time i got one my scars faded. The only reason i got scars back is from more breakouts. I have never gotten a scar from being on differin even through my bad initial breakout, it has only ever gotten rid of scars that i had previously.

Hope i help and i would like clarification on why some people think retinoids and lasar treatments do not work for removing scars. (possibly you meant they dont work for all people)?

/thread

Incorrect. Retin A does help with scars.

To the OP; I suggest a dermatologist visit.

Does anyone know about the difference between differin, retin A, Retin A micro, and Tazorac for scarring?

I am currently on Tazorac. It helps with acne, but not sure it is helping with scarring really.

Hey, don't get depressed about your scars.

Loads of people have them.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2luar2o.jpg

They are only really noticable under extremely harsh lighting. About 95% of people don't like something about themselves under bad lighting.

But in day to day life, your scars are probably pretty much invisible to virtually everyone.

I spent 5,000 on fraxel laser, and all it did was improve my skin tone. Did next to nothing to the shallow scars I had at the time.

Now, I have even more scarring...I'm just going to wait instead of ruining my skin with some other procedure.

that sucks snooze,

I didn't do fraxel but I did a adermabrasion and can't tell if I'm worse or better yet...but my scarring is wider...albeit maybe it is flatter but it doesnt appear any better. I know the painful feeling of expecting great results and not getting anything...