Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya2010

Red marks and MAKE UP... what to do, what to do?

Hi there,

So I'm 24 years old and got horrendous acne about 3 months ago (all hormonal, because I stopped taking the pill). I have been on RetinA for 2.5 months but it's only made it worse, and I am now waiting for my second iPledge test to I can start Accutane.

I wanted to pose a question around here that maybe someone can help with:

I have never used make up in my life--I never needed to until this whole thing happened. Now that my face looks really bad, I went into Sephora and tried FACE FX, which did a great job covering up my red marks and uneven-ess. But when I took it off at night (which took 10 minutes, cause it was layered up so much!) I noticed my red marks seemed more inflamed. Is this because of irritation from removing it? Is it possible that using foundation just makes it worse?

What about using make-up while on Accutane, in general??

Any help would be super amazingly appreciated.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Alot of people notice redmarks getting worse after they wash their face. Just due to heat, irritation and stuff. Generally more you rub your face the worse redmarks are going to look. And that's just with cleansers and stuff. It's pretty normal though, and I dont think it affects redmarks long term, just a temporary thing due to circulation/blood. Since your marks probably return to normal after an hr or so yeah? Well atleast mine does. You can use makeup on accutane, though I havent personally since im a guy, but the pamphlet says you can lol. But if your makeup is actually taking like 10minutes to remove, that's going to cause alot of irritation, and your skin is really sensitive on accutane, so I would advise against using so much. Maybe look for makeup that is easier to remove or something?

Brandon, thanks so much for the reply (and for answering even though make-up is not your "thing") :D

I'm not sure how long it took my red-marks to subside. At this point, everything looks so bad that I can't tell. On the one hand, instinctively I'm sure it'd be better to just leave it be and not use any make up (until I can do a peel or microdermabrasion to actually treat the underlying problem). But, on the other hand, I'm starting a new job soon and I can't go in looking the way I do...

What do you use for your red marks, since you can't use make-up? Do they really go away? To me, they look really noticeable and I can't see how they would just go away on their own without some sort of intervention.

Thanks again!

Also, I agree that 10 minutes is way too long. They put SOO much foundation on me I barely recognized myself. It's weird to go from being all natural to thinking of applying make-up every single day in the morning...

I'm not using anything for my redmarks atm. I've actually still got a fair bit + scarring, they do fade by themselves, but very slowly well atleast for me. What I mainly meant was that the redmarks looking more inflamed after you wash off your makeup, should go away in like 1hr or less, and just retun to 'normal' redmarks. My chin got pretty bad when I was on retin-a, and just like you washing off your makeup, when I just washed my face my whole chin would look really red and inflamed, but it would return to its normal redmark state after an hr or so. Anyway i'm finishing up accutane now, and all the redmarks from my chin faded completely without doing anything, but i still got redmarks on cheeks/forehead and stuff. For some reason my chin ones fade fast but my other facial areas fade really slowly. Derm told me to wait 3months post-accutane, and then I'll go back and start looking at treatments. You cant do stuff like peels/microdermbrasions while on accutane btw, and generally for atleast a couple of months after.

Also I wasnt telling you not to use makeup, though that is probably best, but to find another way or something. 10minutes just to remove seems really excessive and likely to irritate, I dont know anything about makeup, but just my sis seems to use alot and i've seen her remove hers and it doesnt take anywhere near that long lol. Maybe search that cosmetic subsection or make a post there for help on makeup that covers well but doesnt need to be caked on/easier to remove or something.

Edited by brandish

My red marks always seem worse immediately after I wash my face, but quickly calm down soon after. It's normal. I would try a different makeup if it is truly so hard to remove, there is a chance some may be left behind and end up clogging your pores. I use Aqua smooth by Cover girl or Bare minerals, both you can layer to change the amount of coverage you'd like. I don't have to take any extra time removing them either. Goodluck!

Although facial scrubbing can make your face look worse in the short term, it helps in the long term. (as long as use gentle scrubbing).

It helps to get rid of the dead skin cells and unmask the new healthy skin underneath.

I use foundation, and then pressed powder over it to cover up my red marks. I've told people about my red marks, and they don't believe me because I cover them up so well. Unfortunately, wearing foundation doesn't allow the sun to penetrate my skin, so my face is always pale, because it never tans. It sucks in the summer.

To wash my makeup off, I use a tea tree oil soap, I follow that up with Neutrogena's makeup remover wipes to get rid of all traces of makeup. It works really well for me.