Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starlite

Best doctor to get dermal grafting done?

So I've heard of some amazing stories of dermal grafts from cells behind the ear giving huge improvement to scars. Only thing is I do not know of anyone in the U.S. that does this. Does anyone know? I live in NC with family in NM so I would love for the doctor to be in-state, but I'd be willing to travel.

Did anyone else try dermal grafting? How do you feel about it?

You can also do fascia lata with solid bovine collagen. Again depends on the scar.

So I've heard of some amazing stories of dermal grafts from cells behind the ear giving huge improvement to scars. Only thing is I do not know of anyone in the U.S. that does this. Does anyone know? I live in NC with family in NM so I would love for the doctor to be in-state, but I'd be willing to travel.

You can also do fascia lata with solid bovine collagen. Again depends on the scar.

I'm actually a vegetarian, but thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if dermal grafting works better than temporary fillers?

Does anyone know if dermal grafting is permanent? I've heard that dermal grafting using fat tissue is more temporary than behind the ear.

Thanks!

Dermal grafting is permanent as far as I know. I had it done over a year ago in three rounds and had good results. I am fairly pleased. But you have to go to someone who knows what they are doing, it is very technique sensitive. I can give you the name of the dr. who did mine. He is in CA.

Dermal grafting is permanent as far as I know. I had it done over a year ago in three rounds and had good results. I am fairly pleased. But you have to go to someone who knows what they are doing, it is very technique sensitive. I can give you the name of the dr. who did mine. He is in CA.

Oh, I definitely agree. I have Fitz IV skin, so there is the real risk of hypo scarring from the sutures. I'd actually want a doctor that performed this procedure on my face to be more experienced than anyone I would get a laser treatment from.

What % of improvement did you see in your scarring, if you don't mind me asking? Did you have mild, moderate, or severe scarring before the treatment? How far apart were the treatments spaced? How much did the dr. charge?

Thank you! :)

What sort of scarring do you have? Dermal grafting is different from collagen injection. Dermal grafting is usually meant for large and deep surgical scars.

What sort of scarring do you have? Dermal grafting is different from collagen injection. Dermal grafting is usually meant for large and deep surgical scars.

No, dermal grafts can definitely be used to treat acne scars. Maybe you're thinking of skin grafts.

Oh, I definitely agree. I have Fitz IV skin, so there is the real risk of hypo scarring from the sutures. I'd actually want a doctor that performed this procedure on my face to be more experienced than anyone I would get a laser treatment from.

What % of improvement did you see in your scarring, if you don't mind me asking? Did you have mild, moderate, or severe scarring before the treatment? How far apart were the treatments spaced? How much did the dr. charge?

The risk is not really with further scarring, but not grafting properly. If a doctor is not careful and there is epidermis still left in the graft, you can get a big inflamed cyst instead of a nice fill where the scar is. My dr. doesn't use sutures anyway. I know some do, but mine just applies a steri-strip to the grafts and it comes off in a couple of days. My scarring was moderate I guess. You have to wait at least six weeks between treatments. I don't remember the exact cost but it is around a $150 flat fee for surgery and I think $35 for each scar treated. My scars are flat now, so I got a good improvement in those terms, but I am still dealing with texture issues which grafts can't really take care of.

The risk is not really with further scarring, but not grafting properly. If a doctor is not careful and there is epidermis still left in the graft, you can get a big inflamed cyst instead of a nice fill where the scar is. My dr. doesn't use sutures anyway. I know some do, but mine just applies a steri-strip to the grafts and it comes off in a couple of days. My scarring was moderate I guess. You have to wait at least six weeks between treatments. I don't remember the exact cost but it is around a $150 flat fee for surgery and I think $35 for each scar treated. My scars are flat now, so I got a good improvement in those terms, but I am still dealing with texture issues which grafts can't really take care of.

That seems like a really good deal for dermal grafting, I've seen other quotes at around $250 per scar. Yes, I'd definitely be interested in finding out more about your dr. Does he work on ice picks or boxcar scars, or is it only rolling scars? It seems worth a trip out to CA, especially if your dr. is experienced and knows what he's doing.

Thank you for your answers, they were helpful! :) It seems like there aren't very many people on this thread who have tried dermal grafting, so your advice is greatly appreciate.

That seems like a really good deal for dermal grafting, I've seen other quotes at around $250 per scar. Yes, I'd definitely be interested in finding out more about your dr. Does he work on ice picks or boxcar scars, or is it only rolling scars? It seems worth a trip out to CA, especially if your dr. is experienced and knows what he's doing.

Thank you for your answers, they were helpful! :) It seems like there aren't very many people on this thread who have tried dermal grafting, so your advice is greatly appreciate.

I second that, it is hard to find advice about this procedure since so few people have done it, but those who have seem to all have good results which is heartening, considering the number of people who constantly fail in their search. It makes me wonder why more people don't consider it. I think flying out to CA would be worth it as well.

How deep/shallow do your scars have to be for it to work?

And you say you have texture issues, what do you mean by this? I'll probably have texture issues as well, but I can deal with that, as long as the scars are treated.

Edited by xanaxx

No problem. I will send you a pm with my dr.s' name. I actually found out about it digging around on this board. A few years ago a girl from Australia with severe scarring posted about getting it done and how happy she was with results. If it hadn't been for that post I never would have heard of it. I digged around a bit on this forum and there was luckily another poster from the U.S. who got it done here, so I looked into that dr in the states.

He only does dermal grafts for rolling scars, yes, and with boxscars he does an excision I believe. I think he also told me he is now experimenting with tca for icepicks. Good luck!

I think that your scars have to be a minimum of 1 mm width and depth. I am not sure about the exact figure, but just to let you know my scars were not deep and I was nervous that he would not be able to graft them. But luckily he was. He's been doing dermal grafts for years and he is very skilled, which is a huge thing to consider when doing this.

When I say texture issues, I mean, technically all a graft or any scar treatment can really do is fill a scar. The scar is still there though, it's just raised, or in the case of a laser or dermabrasion, they abrade normal skin to the level of scarred skin. Either way, it's not "normal" skin, it's scar tissue . I hope I'm explaining it ok. I mean my skin looks okay under most lighting, but under especially bad lighting you can see it. My doctor recommended a resurfacing treatment to deal with it, but I don't know if I really want to go in for all that downtime, especially with work. Plus, I don't know how effective it will be.

How deep/shallow do your scars have to be for it to work?

And you say you have texture issues, what do you mean by this? I'll probably have texture issues as well, but I can deal with that, as long as the scars are treated.

No problem. I will send you a pm with my dr.s' name. I actually found out about it digging around on this board. A few years ago a girl from Australia with severe scarring posted about getting it done and how happy she was with results. If it hadn't been for that post I never would have heard of it. I digged around a bit on this forum and there was luckily another poster from the U.S. who got it done here, so I looked into that dr in the states.

He only does dermal grafts for rolling scars, yes, and with boxscars he does an excision I believe. I think he also told me he is now experimenting with tca for icepicks. Good luck!

Thank you! Yes, I saw that same thread and it is part of what got me interested in dermal grafting. Especially after she mentioned the comment the doctor made, that dermal grafting was the only thing that took care of his patients scars, and he had tried laser before.

It saddens me that more surgeons aren't experienced with this, but I suppose it would take practice to get good at it, and there isn't a very high % of people who suffer from acne scars.

As soon as I finish school (next couple of months) and save up, I'm trying it. :D

I think Datura went to the same Doc I did for dermal grafts. My experience has been mixed. That said, I am pretty convinced that dermal grafts or SMD are the way to go for deeper, wider depressions. It does not work for ice picks nor for wide but shallow scars.

If I lived in Texas rather than CA, I would have elected to go for SMD with Dr. Lam. It seems to me that the injection of micro droplets is likely to be far more precise than the insertion of harvested dermis through a slit in the skin under the depressed scar. For one, I often find that it is not inserted all the way under the scar, but only at the top. Or, it can lead to overcorrection. I agree this Doc is experienced and skilled and results are permanent and safe, but keep in mind the technique is not very precise. That's why based solely on my experience with dermal grafts, I expect that SMD would produce more precise results. Dermal grafts is way better than Fraxel Restore.

I think Datura went to the same Doc I did for dermal grafts. My experience has been mixed. That said, I am pretty convinced that dermal grafts or SMD are the way to go for deeper, wider depressions. It does not work for ice picks nor for wide but shallow scars.

If I lived in Texas rather than CA, I would have elected to go for SMD with Dr. Lam. It seems to me that the injection of micro droplets is likely to be far more precise than the insertion of harvested dermis through a slit in the skin under the depressed scar. For one, I often find that it is not inserted all the way under the scar, but only at the top. Or, it can lead to overcorrection. I agree this Doc is experienced and skilled and results are permanent and safe, but keep in mind the technique is not very precise. That's why based solely on my experience with dermal grafts, I expect that SMD would produce more precise results. Dermal grafts is way better than Fraxel Restore.

What is SMD? :eh: Sorry for my ignorance.

I have very sensitve skin and react poorly to foreign substances. I don't think my body would react well at all to silicon injections. Thank you, though, for sharing your personal experience. I do have a couple of wide, deep scars, so it could really help that. If my scars were more shallow, I would opt for laser or excision.

hey datura!

could you forward that physician in california's name to me? i am interested in this procedure. i have some fairly severe scars from extensive steroid injection use by my dermatologist for a period of several years during the late 70s and 80s. thanks for your post datura.