Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jetsfan12

Is tanning the face to cover scars out of the question?

Hello all. I have made a few posts on here and have found that you all have helped me out. Thank you very much.I had a question though. I have moderate rolling scars on my face that have been there for about 2 years. I had subcision and fraxel about a month ago and have had no success with that. I was thinking maybe a tan could help cover the rolling scars on my cheecks seeing as i have pale skin. If i go out in the sun with no sunscreen for 5 minutes i will turn real red. I dont know why but thats the way its always been. My deratoligist has always told me wear at least 50spf, but its summer now and everyday i leave my house im not putting on 50spf 3 to 4 times a day. theres no way. Im gonna eventually start breaking out again. My question is if i slowly get a tan or go in a tanning booth with a tanning lotion with a 6 or 8 spf will it be bad for the scars. i mean you mean to tell me i have to wear sunscreen EVERYDAY for the rest of my life.

Yes, it should be out of the question. Not only will you be doing permanent damage to your skin but it could actually end up making your scars look worse since the sun can damage your skin to the poing of losing elasticity which will make scars appear worse.

I have to say that a teeny bit of sun might not be a bad thing since it is how we absorb vitamin d, but be very careful.

If you must have a tanned look, have you considered face tanners? The lotion type? Some of these contain sunscreen as well so you won't have to layer it. I have used a few types which don't seem to clog my pores.

My mom used to own a tanning salon and luckily I had been lectured repeatedly by a former co-worker about how bad the sun can damage your skin. Luckily, I was in my early 20's and ceased to tan my face. Even if I felt the need to go to the tanning bed, I covered my face and neck with a towel.

Now, I hate it when people comment on how young they think they look, but objectively, I think I have fared pretty well so far. So I think dodging the sun, especially on your face is a very good thing. Peace.

Scars or not, sun is a bad thing... The more you stay out of it, the better off you'll be years from now.

okay tanning is not bad! i just started in a bed, and my scars look better, give it a try! and if you get a base tan in a tanning bed, you wont burn outside as bad. go for it, i was really scared to a first, but im glad i did!

okay tanning is not bad! i just started in a bed, and my scars look better, give it a try! and if you get a base tan in a tanning bed, you wont burn outside as bad. go for it, i was really scared to a first, but im glad i did!

Acnehater7, when you go in the tanning bed what do you put on your face? I have a 8 spf in a brown bottle that says its for tanning, not really a sunscreen i guess. I just hear soooo many people on hear including my derm say stay out of the sun by all means.