Notifications
Clear all

Tazorac and Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@lfc2584)

Posted : 04/11/2010 1:21 am

so i know that you're not supposed to use bp with a retnoid because the bp will make it so that the retnoids dont work basically.but what im wondering is if when i use the taz at night will it still be ok if i use bp on the areas where i dont put taz on and both of them will still work as they should?

i use taz for blackheads on my nose and some open pores on my cheeks right underneath the eye area.i dont get pimples there but everywhere else i do.for a while i used bp in the morning and then taz and BHA liquid at night.but the BHA is kind of harsh because my skin is real sensitive and doesnt seem to help with pimples that much.so now id like to use bp morning and night and just use the taz on my nose and cheek area at night as well.

id really appreciate if someone could help me out here.im just worried that if i use the bp with the taz at night then the bp would just make the taz useless and not work.but then again i wouldnt think the bp would counteract the taz unless i layered them but im not sure?need help here!!

MemberMember
(@lady-odd-duck)

Posted : 04/11/2010 10:41 am

BP morning, Taz night.

MemberMember
(@lfc2584)

Posted : 04/14/2010 12:51 am

BP morning, Taz night.

ummm thanks for responding but that doesn't answer my question any whatsoever.

MemberMember
(@27inla)

Posted : 04/14/2010 2:27 am

I think the other posted was confused because retinoids like Taz are usually prescribed for use all over your face. and therefore using another product with it would not be a good idea.

But....

I thought you said you don't layer the two?

You should be fine.

Example: using BP on your nose. and Taz on your forehead. the taz wont be effected by what you are using on a different part of your face.

MemberMember
(@lfc2584)

Posted : 04/23/2010 12:01 am

ha yeah i def dont layer the two so i was kinda thinking i should be ok.i actually put the taz on my cheek and nose and i would put bp everywhere else just wanted to know if it would just counteract the taz.like i was thinking that once they "got underneath" my skin they would combine and mess everything up lol.i know im very confusing but maybe u know what im trying to say?

MemberMember
(@27inla)

Posted : 05/02/2010 1:28 am

i understand what you're asking, it's just a silly idea.

no, that won't happen.

MemberMember
(@matty43)

Posted : 03/30/2011 5:34 pm

Actually it's not a silly idea and yes you can use BP with Differin (a retinoid) aka Adapalene. In a premixed formuation it's sold as Epidou:

Not sure about tazorac though, it may be too similar too tretinoin which you definately don't want to combine as they inactivate each other. I've read alot of white papers/research and haven't seen anyone combining the two in question though.

M

MemberMember
(@wintersports)

Posted : 01/31/2020 12:34 am

On 3/30/2011 at 5:34 PM, matty43 said:

Actually it's not a silly idea and yes you can use BP with Differin (a retinoid) aka Adapalene. In a premixed formuation it's sold as Epidou:

Not sure about tazorac though, it may be too similar too tretinoin which you definately don't want to combine as they inactivate each other. I've read alot of white papers/research and haven't seen anyone combining the two in question though.

M

I am bumping a very old thread, but I came across this clinical trial published in 2017 where the patients were given various mixtures of tazarotene, clindamycin, and benzoyl peroxide. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT00713609

Participants applied the study product (Benzoyl peroxide/Clindamycin + Tazarotene) to the face once daily in the evening up to 12 weeks. Two actuations of test product (approximately 0.6 grams [g] of the combined product in an approximate 1:1 ratio) were dispensed into the participants palm and mixed. A thin film was then applied to the entire face

If you look at the results, BP+tazarotene had higher efficacy than tazarotene alone and was about the same as clindamycin+tazarotene. Combining all 3 at once also seemed to have slightly worse efficacy than combining 2 but was still better than tazarotene alone.

From that clinical trial it would seem that it is okay to combine Tazorac and benzoyl peroxide. But I havent read any papers where they looked at the degradation of the actual tazarotene molecule when mixed with BP.