Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLSL

Please help me!!! :'( [added pics]

PLEASE keep reading even though a little long. I'm desperate! I'm on the verge of tears as I start writing this. I used to have horrible acne for years and all of it cleared up last year after my dermatologist prescribed me Retin-A and 500mg of Ampicillin to take every night. In 7th-8th grade I picked, popped, and scratched my pimples. Back then I didn't know that could cause scars. After I found out it I stopped. And when my acne cleared up I was so thankful that there were NO scars. I started noticing a couple of what looked like scars this January, but I didn't think too much of them. I just thought I already had them but hadn't noticed them before. But over the past month or two I have small dents and what looks like scars appearing all over my cheeks and more than a few on my forehead. I now also have huge enlarged pores. I went to my dermatologist and he did not believe me when I said I didn't have them before. He suggested Mixto CO2 Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing, but also said that the Retin-A I'm taking should help with the "scars" over a long period of time. I looked up the laser resurfacing and many other lasers and surgeries, but there are so many and I am so confused. I am also wondering if I should turn to that yet since there are so many cons and some long-term effects to them that could be possible. This month/last month I have been in an inpatient depression facility for 18 days because when this started happening to my face I sank into a deep depression that all I wanted to do was sleep. I couldn't get myself to eat for two weeks. I got out two days ago and while I was in there I stopped using Retin-A and the dents appeared to have stopped showing up. I don't know if Retin-A had anything to do with it. But the existing ones are not getting any better and I don't know what to do. I don't know what they are. I'm scared and I'm depressed and my anxiety is horrible. I don't want to look in the mirror anymore. I'm only 18 and have my whole life ahead of me. I just want to be happy like I was last year. Please, please help.

Side of Right cheek: post-124720-1271130773_thumb.jpg

Top of Right cheek: post-124720-1271130783_thumb.jpg

Side of Left cheek: post-124720-1271130789_thumb.jpg

- This is actually my "good" side :(

I forgot to add that I was using BP wash also.

***Should I get the Mixto done or SmartXide Dot for my scars???

post-124720-1271130773_thumb.jpg

post-124720-1271130783_thumb.jpg

post-124720-1271130789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sapphire Lily

PLEASE keep reading even though a little long. I'm desperate! I'm on the verge of tears as I start writing this. I used to have horrible acne for years and all of it cleared up last year after my dermatologist prescribed me Retin-A and 500mg of Ampicillin to take every night. In 7th-8th grade I picked, popped, and scratched my pimples. Back then I didn't know that could cause scars. After I found out it I stopped. And when my acne cleared up I was so thankful that there were NO scars. I started noticing a couple of what looked like scars this January, but I didn't think too much of them. I just thought I already had them but hadn't noticed them before. But over the past month or two I have small dents and what looks like scars appearing all over my cheeks and more than a few on my forehead. I now also have huge enlarged pores. I went to my dermatologist and he did not believe me when I said I didn't have them before. He suggested Mixto CO2 Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing, but also said that the Retin-A I'm taking should help with the "scars" over a long period of time. I looked up the laser resurfacing and many other lasers and surgeries, but there are so many and I am so confused. I am also wondering if I should turn to that yet since there are so many cons and some long-term effects to them that could be possible. This month/last month I have been in an inpatient depression facility for 17 days because when this started happening to my face I sank into a deep depression that all I wanted to do was sleep. I couldn't get myself to eat for two weeks. I got out two days ago and while I was in there I stopped using Retin-A and the dents appeared to have stopped showing up. I don't know if Retin-A had anything to do with it. But the existing ones are not getting any better and I don't know what to do. I don't know what they are. I'm scared and I'm depressed and my anxiety is horrible. I don't want to look in the mirror anymore. I'm only 18 and have my whole life ahead of me. I just want to be happy like I was last year. Please, please help.

Wow, i feel exactly the same as you. I am 23 now and my right cheek looks like yours (some icepick scars and rolling scars). I feel like ever since it happpened (which was 6 months ago with my horrible breakout), my skin and my life is never the same anymore. I used to be an outgoing guy, going out with friends, having a great time, just waiting for graduate school to start. Now I'm depressed, stopped going out, pretty much introverted. I also feel like im so young and my life is ruined forever because of acne scars... i feel so ugly... I feel like everone i encounter or see have good/normal skin BUT ME! Well, the only way to improve your skin is to seek scarring treatment from dermatologist/plastic surgeon. Unfortunately... it cost a lot of money (thousands) for minimum to medium results. It takes multiple treatments and lots of time. I think i will have to just focus in school in the mean time and wait till i graduate and get a job to fix it :/.

Wow, i feel exactly the same as you. I am 23 now and my right cheek looks like yours (some icepick scars and rolling scars). I feel like ever since it happpened (which was 6 months ago with my horrible breakout), my skin and my life is never the same anymore. I used to be an outgoing guy, going out with friends, having a great time, just waiting for graduate school to start. Now I'm depressed, stopped going out, pretty much introverted. I also feel like im so young and my life is ruined forever because of acne scars... i feel so ugly... I feel like everone i encounter or see have good/normal skin BUT ME! Well, the only way to improve your skin is to seek scarring treatment from dermatologist/plastic surgeon. Unfortunately... it cost a lot of money (thousands) for minimum to medium results. It takes multiple treatments and lots of time. I think i will have to just focus in school in the mean time and wait till i graduate and get a job to fix it :/.

Thanks for replying. Except I didn't have any kind of break out before these scars started coming. Now that I stopped Retin-A I'm getting a couple of pimples but they aren't too bad. I would rather have bad acne again than these scars. I don't know what's really wrong but at least you know what's wrong with your face. I will pray for you. I don't even plan on going back to school until I fix this. I can't even look at my mom without worrying about if she's looking at my scars. It's horrible :'(

As you age, scars that didn't appear before, can begin to show. This is because the skin gets lax over time. Example: get in front of the mirror and pull your skin taut - when you do, you'll likely notice the scars are less, or not noticeable.

I've had Co2 laser (full ablative) when I was 27 and it was extremely helpful. Unlike non-ablative lasers, Co2 is a "controlled burn" which causes the skin to become more taut/tight. Hence, scars appear less, or not noticeable afterward, much like pulling your skin taut in the mirror.

For what it's worth, I would never consider non-ablative lasers (fraxel, cool touch, etc) because they only promise to "possibly stimulate collagen." Whereas, ablative (controlled burn) does the same thing *and* makes the skin tighter.

I'm loathe to use this as an analogy, but think of Co2 (ablative) as follows: When you burn something.. a piece of paper or plastic for example, what happens? It shrinks. It "draws in" on itself. This is the effect of a "controlled burn" by an ablative laser.

Don't worry yourself too much. xoxo

As you age, scars that didn't appear before, can begin to show. This is because the skin gets lax over time. Example: get in front of the mirror and pull your skin taut - when you do, you'll likely notice the scars are less, or not noticeable.

I've had Co2 laser (full ablative) when I was 27 and it was extremely helpful. Unlike non-ablative lasers, Co2 is a "controlled burn" which causes the skin to become more taut/tight. Hence, scars appear less, or not noticeable afterward, much like pulling your skin taut in the mirror.

For what it's worth, I would never consider non-ablative lasers (fraxel, cool touch, etc) because they only promise to "possibly stimulate collagen." Whereas, ablative (controlled burn) does the same thing *and* makes the skin tighter.

I'm loathe to use this as an analogy, but think of Co2 (ablative) as follows: When you burn something.. a piece of paper or plastic for example, what happens? It shrinks. It "draws in" on itself. This is the effect of a "controlled burn" by an ablative laser.

Don't worry yourself too much. xoxo

Yeah, I have pulled my skin up and see that the scars are less noticeable. I'm having trouble calling them scars though because scars can be permanent, and I'm deathly afraid of that. And it's weird that mine started appearing out of nowhere so quick. I'm very nervous about getting that Co2 laser, so seeing that you've had success with it makes me feel a little at ease. Thank you so much for replying - you don't even know how much I appreciate it. It gives me an inch of hope. I have a few questions for you though.

How much downtime did you need after the laser?

Do the scars come back after years?

Can it make the scars worse?

What did you do for your skin before and after the laser?

Do you think I'm too young to get the laser done?

Please reply and thanks again.

I always think it's interesting when people ask about downtime. If downtime were 10 years and it meant no more scars, I'd do it.. but that's just me. My downtime was about 2 weeks.

Honestly, some of them do, yes. It just depends on how severe they are.

It absolutely didn't with me and I've never heard of that occurring.

Before: Retin A, Microdermabrasion, Accutane. NOTE: You cannot have **any** laser treatments until you have been *off* Accutane for at least 1 year. All physicians should tell you that, so I assume you know.

After: Nothing for several years.

Personally, no, especially if your doctor has advised it.

Another thing to keep in mind, so you don't get too traumatized over this. There is a simple treatment called "Subdermal Grafting," to permanently rid yourself of depressed scars.

Subdermal grafting involves harvesting tissue from behind your ear and placing it under the scar, to lift it, level. It does not require any incisions on your face. The tissue is inserted with a needle and permanently situated so that there is no depression in the skin. xoxo

Edited by L0VE

I always think it's interesting when people ask about downtime. If downtime were 10 years and it meant no more scars, I'd do it.. but that's just me. My downtime was about 2 weeks.

Honestly, some of them do, yes. It just depends on how severe they are.

It absolutely didn't with me and I've never heard of that occurring.

Before: Retin A, Microdermabrasion, Accutane. NOTE: You cannot have **any** laser treatments until you have been *off* Accutane for at least 1 year. All physicians should tell you that, so I assume you know.

After: Nothing for several years.

Personally, no, especially if your doctor has advised it.

Another thing to keep in mind, so you don't get too traumatized over this. There is a simple treatment called "Subdermal Grafting," to permanently rid yourself of depressed scars.

Subdermal grafting involves harvesting tissue from behind your ear and placing it under the scar, to lift it, level. It does not require any incisions on your face. The tissue is inserted with a needle and permanently situated so that there is no depression in the skin. xoxo

The reason I ask about down time is because I'm still in high school, and wouldn't want to go with my face looking and working like a stop sign, haha. Sorry I should reword my question, "What did you do for your skin before and after the laser?" I meant did your dermatologist prescribe something you needed to take to prepare your skin for the laser, and afterward prescribed something to help your skin heal? Thanks for letting me know about subdermal grafting.

PLEASE keep reading even though a little long. I'm desperate! I'm on the verge of tears as I start writing this. I used to have horrible acne for years and all of it cleared up last year after my dermatologist prescribed me Retin-A and 500mg of Ampicillin to take every night. In 7th-8th grade I picked, popped, and scratched my pimples. Back then I didn't know that could cause scars. After I found out it I stopped. And when my acne cleared up I was so thankful that there were NO scars. I started noticing a couple of what looked like scars this January, but I didn't think too much of them. I just thought I already had them but hadn't noticed them before. But over the past month or two I have small dents and what looks like scars appearing all over my cheeks and more than a few on my forehead. I now also have huge enlarged pores. I went to my dermatologist and he did not believe me when I said I didn't have them before. He suggested Mixto CO2 Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing, but also said that the Retin-A I'm taking should help with the "scars" over a long period of time. I looked up the laser resurfacing and many other lasers and surgeries, but there are so many and I am so confused. I am also wondering if I should turn to that yet since there are so many cons and some long-term effects to them that could be possible. This month/last month I have been in an inpatient depression facility for 17 days because when this started happening to my face I sank into a deep depression that all I wanted to do was sleep. I couldn't get myself to eat for two weeks. I got out two days ago and while I was in there I stopped using Retin-A and the dents appeared to have stopped showing up. I don't know if Retin-A had anything to do with it. But the existing ones are not getting any better and I don't know what to do. I don't know what they are. I'm scared and I'm depressed and my anxiety is horrible. I don't want to look in the mirror anymore. I'm only 18 and have my whole life ahead of me. I just want to be happy like I was last year. Please, please help.

Hello,

I am going through something very similar. I had a Fraxel laser tx. a year ago, started using Retin-a in Jan and noticed these odd scars appearing. I am assuming I have damage from the laser. I rec. not having the laser done at this time. There are risks involved and the laser ruined my skin texture.

What do your scars look like? Mine are very faint and almost like they are under the top layer of skin. Have they started to go away once you stopped using the Retin-a?

Hello,

I am going through something very similar. I had a Fraxel laser tx. a year ago, started using Retin-a in Jan and noticed these odd scars appearing. I am assuming I have damage from the laser. I rec. not having the laser done at this time. There are risks involved and the laser ruined my skin texture.

What do your scars look like? Mine are very faint and almost like they are under the top layer of skin. Have they started to go away once you stopped using the Retin-a?

If you do decide to do any type of laser I rec. making sure the person has years of experience with lasers and is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. I also rec. only spot treating the scars only. I had my entire face done and this was not necessary.

Hello,

Aren't Fraxel laser and Mixto Co2 laser are very different from each other? If not, you have me worried for myself.

My family says these scars aren't noticeable unless you're looking for them, but I believe they're only saying that to make me feel better. They haven't gone away or improved since I stopped using Retin-A, but I haven't noticed any new ones like I was. Most people say Retin-A helps with scars, but I've read very few people say it makes them worse. So I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

Edited by Sapphire Lily

Hello,

Aren't Fraxel laser and Mixto Co2 laser are very different from each other? If not, you have me worried for myself.

My family says these scars aren't noticeable unless you're looking for them, but I believe they're only saying that to make me feel better. They haven't gone away or improved since I stopped using Retin-A, but I haven't noticed any new ones like I was. Most people say Retin-A helps with scars, but I've read very few people say it makes them worse. So I'm not sure what to tell you about that.

I had Fraxel Restore. The Co2 laser is dif. Is your Doctor only going to spot treat the scarred areas or do your entire face? I rec. you only do the scarred areas, but since this just happened I would wait and see if the scars heal. Mine have improved since I stopped using the Retin-a. Do you have any improvement at all? I am using TNS Recovery Complex with Nouricel-MD. I bought from Amazon, it is over $100 but is helping me. You can buy it at doctors offices as well. you can go to the SkinMedica website and see what drs. carry this in your area.

I had Fraxel Restore. The Co2 laser is dif. Is your Doctor only going to spot treat the scarred areas or do your entire face? I rec. you only do the scarred areas, but since this just happened I would wait and see if the scars heal. Mine have improved since I stopped using the Retin-a. Do you have any improvement at all? I am using TNS Recovery Complex with Nouricel-MD. I bought from Amazon, it is over $100 but is helping me. You can buy it at doctors offices as well. you can go to the SkinMedica website and see what drs. carry this in your area.

He wants to do my entire face so I will have an even skin tone and also because my face has been through a lot. I really do hope the scars heal. No, I haven't had any improvement at all since I stopped using Retin-A, but it's only been a week since I stopped using it. How long has it been for you? I will look into TNS Recovery Complex... but being only 18 my money is limited. :/ Is that helping with your scars?

I just looked at your pic. This does look very similar to what has happened to me only mine is worse. When did these scars from the Retin-a first start appearing? I'm not a derm but it looks to me that these will go away.

I just looked at your pic. This does look very similar to what has happened to me only mine is worse. When did these scars from the Retin-a first start appearing? I'm not a derm but it looks to me that these will go away.

The marks have gotten a lot worse since the picture I last posted. And after I posted that I kept using Retin-A since people (including my dermatologist) said that it couldn't make scars worse. I had been using Retin-A for a good year, so I do not understand why this started happening. How long had you been using Retin-A?

He wants to do my entire face so I will have an even skin tone and also because my face has been through a lot. I really do hope the scars heal. No, I haven't had any improvement at all since I stopped using Retin-A, but it's only been a week since I stopped using it. How long has it been for you? I will look into TNS Recovery Complex... but being only 18 my money is limited. :/ Is that helping with your scars?

Def. give yourself more time than a week. I stopped the Retin-a about 9 days ago and saw improvement 2 days ago once I started using the TNS Recovery Complex. I'm no longer getting new areas and am starting to see slight improvement. I would def. not do the laser at this point. You could start to see improvement. Please keep in touch with me and let me know how you are doing. I am very curious as I don't know what has been causing my scarring either.

The marks have gotten a lot worse since the picture I last posted. And after I posted that I kept using Retin-A since people (including my dermatologist) said that it couldn't make scars worse. I had been using Retin-A for a good year, so I do not understand why this started happening. How long had you been using Retin-A?

The same thing happened to me. I went to 3 dif. derms and they all said to keep using the Retin-a and I continued to get worse, so finally I stopped using it. I have used Retin-a on and off, but began using it more reg. in Jan and that is when the scarring began. I'm not sure if it is damage from the laser that is below my skin or if it is from the Retin-a. The Retin-a does thin the top layer of skin.

I was using a lot more Retin-a than I normally had in the past. My new derm said to use a gram and before I was just using a pea size amount. Did you increase your dosage?

I was using a lot more Retin-a than I normally had in the past. My new derm said to use a gram and before I was just using a pea size amount. Did you increase your dosage?

I'm going to message you on here so this will go a lot faster.

Yes, they're very different.

* Fraxel is a non-ablative laser.

Non-Ablative means: No removal of surface tissue. It does not remove dead skin cells from the surface. It uses light to stimulate the skin.

* Co2 is an ablative laser.

Ablative means: Removal of surface tissue by means of vaporization (controlled burn). It uses heat to rejuvenate the skin.

There are many lasers out there, and it can be confusing. But all you need to know is 1 single thing to ask any doctor.

"Is it an ablative or non-ablative laser?" Period.

Because *all* lasers fall into those 2 categories. That's the most important thing for you to know when a doctor is naming all kinds of laser machines, procedures, on and on. Just stop and ask them that question. Ablative or Non?

Retin-A cannot remove depressed scarring. Retin-A works by increasing the cell turnover rate. It helps you shed surface skin, for a more radiant appearance. Cell turnover itself *sometimes* increases collagen, which in turn *may* minimize the look of scars. But it will not "fill" a prominent scar.

Well, then you have a family that loves you - for you. And maybe they're right that the scars are not noticeable.

What it comes down to is accepting yourself for who you are. If you don't have serious scarring, love yourself. If you do have scarring that troubles, love yourself the same as if you had none at all.

As for the depression you've been having. Here's the best advice I can give you.. don't be afraid to lay your emotions on your dermatologist/plastic surgeon. Tell them straight out all your worries and how it *makes you feel* .. trust me, they're used to it. It's important for them to know *all* your hestiations, your confusion over which laser does what, and how it effects your self esteem on a daily basis, from how you feel when you look in the mirror.. all of it.

If you do that ^ and they're a good doctor, they'll take a step back and re-explain your options, taking your emotions into account. xoxo

Edited by L0VE

Hey you problably have amvc!!! Amvc is scars that form out of nowhere! I have the same thing happening to me at the moment, check this thread!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/AMVC-spon...ng-t259206.html

And this article:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1117185-overview

BTW you need to stop Retin A, retin a can sometimes create these scars in some individuals!!!! Have you been on accutane?

Edited by PraisethelordforacneNOT

Hey you problably have amvc!!! Amvc is scars that form out of nowhere! I have the same thing happening to me at the moment, check this thread!

And this article:

BTW you need to stop Retin A, retin a can sometimes create these scars in some individuals!!!! Have you been on accutane?

Hello,

The same thing seems to be happening to me. Who is the Dr. that diagnosed your condition? How long has this been happening to you?

Sapphire Lily, what percentage of retin-a were you using? I hate to hear that retin-a causes more scarring because the reason I'm on retin-a is to get rid of scars.

And this article:

What are you doing for this? I read it is best to stop Retin-A, stop taking Vit A and fish oil. and to take an anti-histamine. Do you know what Dr. Chu suggested as a moisturizer or anything to put on the skin?

What are you doing for this? I read it is best to stop Retin-A, stop taking Vit A and fish oil. and to take an anti-histamine. Do you know what Dr. Chu suggested as a moisturizer or anything to put on the skin?

Well I think in your case the Retin A is causing the scars, and once you stop the retin a the scars will stop. For me its different, I got these scars from my last dermarolling session and have gotten about 16 scars out of nowhere(driving me insane), I they just pop out of nowhere, I dont use anything special on the skin whatsoever. The antihistamine did not work for me, and Im going to try and get mertazipine this week. I have gotten scars ever since the 26th of januari this year...The accutane seems to have fucked up my body...my skin is so dry these days!

And this article:

I've never been on Accutane... and that thread is really confusing. I don't know what to do! :'(