Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RiceDream

Acne developing where skin touches pillowcase?

Hey folks,

I've been dealing with acne since I was young, and have it mostly under control thanks to BP and a bluelight. However, I keep getting acne on the sides of my face in spots that line up perfectly with the contours of where my skin touches my pillow. Another way to describe it would be to imagine my face as a cube, and the acne happening on the edges of the cube.

Here's a highly detailed MS Paint recreaction of my face. As you can guess, I sleep on my left side the most.

post-126628-1270799116_thumb.png

Any idea what causes this, and how to eliminate it? I bought enough pillowcases that I use a clean one every night, and only wash them in fragrance/dye free laundry detergent. In the past I didn't use a moisturizer at night, which I thought might have been the problem (creating more friction), and have since started using it. It's helped some, but it doesn't look like it's fixed things.

post-126628-1270799116_thumb.png

Do you use fabric softener or dryer sheets when you wash your pillowcases? Both contain pore clogging ingredients.

Neither! Maybe I'm wrong about the pillowcase and it's something else? I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this or heard of it.

I’ve heard a lot of people mention that they deliberately sleep on their back to avoid breaking out on the sides of their face. I’ve never thought much about it until recently when I broke out on the right side of my face (I sleep on it the most) so I’m trying to avoid sleeping on my sides for now… just until I clear up. Mind you I’ve never broken out there before so I think it was more a result of switching my products (big mistake!) but in an effort to get my skin back to where it use to be I’m taking all sorts of precautions. Anyways, I can definitely see how pillowcases may harbor bacteria, but if you’re using a clean pillow case every night I’m not sure that’s the source of your particular problem…

You mean to tell me that's not a real picture? :o

(i think there is some link, i always sleep on my right and that is where my acne is most prevalent, i can't get to sleep on my back though..=/)

Right, glad to hear it's not abnormal. I'm thinking it has to do with abrasion- thinking about Dan's theory about trying to limit contact with your skin. I'm wondering if there's a certain thread count that would work? Through some googling I found an "acne pillowcase" that is supposed to be ideal, but there's no real evidence to support that other than the manufacturer's claim.

I have rosacea in addition to acne on the right side of my face, that's the side I prefer to sleep on, and I had convinced myself way-back-when that sleeping on my side with my face touching the pillow was exascerberating my skin issues, so I understand completely. I use organic cotton pillow cases, I change them nightly, I use only a free and clear laundry detergent (preferably Seventh Generation, my fav, although I do alternate with Cheer and All), AND I RUN MY SHEETS THROUGH A SECOND ENTIRE WASH CYCLE with just plain hot water after every wash cycle. And no dryer sheets or sure. I do this with my towels too. When I started to do the extra full rinse cycle, everytime, it started to make a positive difference. It may be worth a try. Good luck :)

Damn, I just made a thread, I have the same problem I think. I'm getting pimples in the EXACT same spots as you. I didn't think it was my pillowcase, but now I do. I seriously need help with this

I get most of my acne on the front side of my face. Sometimes on one side of my face too (like right now, the left side, while the right side is more clear). I remember some years ago I had decided to sleep without a pillow and was able to sleep fine like that.

But I change my pillow case often enough I think. It certainly could be related. I also think that if you sleep on a pillow it is likely that it pushes the oil back into your skin, a lot like what happens if I try to remove excess oil on my nose with a brown paper towel; it absorbs the oil but some of it is pushed back in the pores and causes my nose to breakout. This might also be the cause of acne behind the ears if you get it, I do, and I think it is for the same reason (ear pressed against the head because of the pillow).

But it is certainly not the cause of acne itself.