Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone? I've been losing more hair than usual, including eyelashes and eyebrow hairs, and am becoming concerned that my Renova cream (.02% tretinoin) may be the cause, as it is actually helping my skin more than anything has in a while. I don't see my derm for another two weeks and she's not easy to get in touch with otherwise....

Edited by Q_P

Absolutely not. In fact it is prescribed as treatment for alopecia areata because it works to stimulate the hair follicle. Dont confuse it with Accutane, one of which side effects is thining of your hair, but it stops when you stop taking those pills.

Good luck!

Actually, if you do your research about trtiones creams and retinoids, they do cause hair loss. It happened to me. I notice that when ever I take it, I lose eye lashes and the hair on my scalp comes off. I did talk to my drem and he confirmed it. It doesn't happpen to everyone, but if it happend to you, I suggest you stop right away . It may take a few weeks to settle. But Retinoids DO caue hair loss!!

If you took Accutane, and you're one of those people (like me), who experienced side effects for a long time afterward, vitamin A topicals can cause you to lose hair. In fact, if you were like me, even vitamin A from food can cause it. For a couple of years, I avoided anything with vitamin A in it, and it did minimize the hair shedding, but the healing really didn't occur until I did the colon cleanse. Now, not only can I take in Vitamin A from food again, but I have also been using Differin cream without issue, and my skin's reaction to the cream is exactly the same as it was pre-Accutane. Before the colon cleanse, whenever I would use any vitamin A cream, my skin would have a really odd look to it...it's hard to describe, but it was really blotchy and the skin never became dry for some reason.

If you've never taken Accutane, it is very, very, very unlikely that a topical like Renova would cause hair loss, unless you are using it incorrectly. When using vitamin A topicals, the cream/gel should never be caked on your face like Benzoyl Peroxide. You should apply 3 peanut size dabs to your face (1 dab on the left cheek, 1 dab on the right cheek, and 1 dab on the forehead)...and maybe 1 dab on your chin area. If you apply too much of the Renova onto your face, you do risk some of the same side effects as Accutane.

Thank you everyone for your input! But now I don't know who to believe, haha. I haven't taken Accutane. I did go through a lot of stress in the past few months, and had a stint where I was taking a lot of primrose oil that messed my hormones up a few weeks ago, so trying to pinpoint the cause of the hair loss is really frustrating. I'm afraid to stop the Renova because I scar (dents) from every pimple and it's the only thing keeping my face reasonably under control right now. I use a pea-sized amount on my face every night. Is there any chance that if it is the Renova it'll eventually stop if I keep using the cream?

I'm going to ask my derm about it next week, but this is driving me CRAZY.

Edited by Q_P

Thank you everyone for your input! But now I don't know who to believe, haha. I haven't taken Accutane. I did go through a lot of stress in the past few months, and had a stint where I was taking a lot of primrose oil that messed my hormones up a few weeks ago, so trying to pinpoint the cause of the hair loss is really frustrating. I'm afraid to stop the Renova because I scar (dents) from every pimple and it's the only thing keeping my face reasonably under control right now. I use a pea-sized amount on my face every night. Is there any chance that if it is the Renova it'll eventually stop if I keep using the cream?

I'm going to ask my derm about it next week, but this is driving me CRAZY.

I wouldn't stop the Renova. I really don't think that's the reason if you haven't even taken Accutane.

I wouldn't stop the Renova. I really don't think that's the reason if you haven't even taken Accutane.
So do you think any hair loss caused by retinoids is typically caused by Vitamin A toxicity, then?

It certainly seems like the hair loss came on too suddenly for it to be Vitamin A toxicity, especially since it's a cream and a very low percentage of tretinoin! I don't know how much the skin can absorb.

So do you think any hair loss caused by retinoids is typically caused by Vitamin A toxicity, then?

It certainly seems like the hair loss came on too suddenly for it to be Vitamin A toxicity, especially since it's a cream and a very low percentage of tretinoin! I don't know how much the skin can absorb.

I do think topical retinoids can cause hair loss, but only for people who have taken Accutane before - in that sense, it is due to some form of Vitamin A toxicity. In your specific case it is very hard to believe that Renova would cause hair loss, especially if you are candid about how you are applying the topical. The chances of your specific hair loss being due to Renova are microscopic.

The only absolute way to sort it out is by stopping the Renova for a week or so and just seeing how your hair is doing. You can use Benzoyl peroxide and salicyclic acid or something in the meantime.

I do think topical retinoids can cause hair loss, but only for people who have taken Accutane before - in that sense, it is due to some form of Vitamin A toxicity. In your specific case it is very hard to believe that Renova would cause hair loss, especially if you are candid about how you are applying the topical. The chances of your specific hair loss being due to Renova are microscopic.

The only absolute way to sort it out is by stopping the Renova for a week or so and just seeing how your hair is doing. You can use Benzoyl peroxide and salicyclic acid or something in the meantime.

Thanks, that's reassuring. It does make sense to stop it for a week and see what's up, but I'm afraid of wrecking any progress I've made with it in the past month by stopping. Sounds like it's gonna be necessary though, so at my appointment next week I'll ask my derm for something to tide me over while I try stopping the Renova for a week. Geez, what a mess. :lol:

It does cause hair loss..It states it in the paper that comes with the box. "overdose sideeffects will be similar to vitamin A overdose" Or something along those lines. I forget because I haven't looked at mine in a while. Whats a side effect of vitamin A overdose? Hair loss.

I am actualy goign to my derm on Tuesday and get a Finacea prescription. I have been on Differin .3 for a while, and I gradually started noticing my hair getting thinner. It isn't like male pattern baldness, its more like a overall thinning of the hair. I first started with .1 differein, and it helped but didn't stop all the pimples. Then I tryed .3 and it helped more, but not 100%. Then I read about people on here using it twice daily with real good results. So I bumped it up to using it twice daily, and my skin cleared up 100%. But I guess that was way too much vitamin A getting absorbed into my skin..I started getting the thinning of my hair, and I mean it is noticible. Another side effect that I have is mild neck rash. My derm doesn't think either symtom is from the Differin and wants me to stay on it, but I will go and explain to her how serious it is and have her look at my hair!

I have been on Accutane before, so the guy that posted about that in this thread might be on to something. I did experiecne the hair thinning when I was on Accutane, and my hair never recovered from that. I hope it recovers this time from the Differin. But on a side note..I have been completely off the differin for about a week, and I think I have a few pimples forming..Too early too tell, but I know my skin well enough to know. :wall:

It does cause hair loss..It states it in the paper that comes with the box. "overdose sideeffects will be similar to vitamin A overdose" Or something along those lines. I forget because I haven't looked at mine in a while. Whats a side effect of vitamin A overdose? Hair loss.

I am actualy goign to my derm on Tuesday and get a Finacea prescription. I have been on Differin .3 for a while, and I gradually started noticing my hair getting thinner. It isn't like male pattern baldness, its more like a overall thinning of the hair. I first started with .1 differein, and it helped but didn't stop all the pimples. Then I tryed .3 and it helped more, but not 100%. Then I read about people on here using it twice daily with real good results. So I bumped it up to using it twice daily, and my skin cleared up 100%. But I guess that was way too much vitamin A getting absorbed into my skin..I started getting the thinning of my hair, and I mean it is noticible. Another side effect that I have is mild neck rash. My derm doesn't think either symtom is from the Differin and wants me to stay on it, but I will go and explain to her how serious it is and have her look at my hair!

I have been on Accutane before, so the guy that posted about that in this thread might be on to something. I did experiecne the hair thinning when I was on Accutane, and my hair never recovered from that. I hope it recovers this time from the Differin. But on a side note..I have been completely off the differin for about a week, and I think I have a few pimples forming..Too early too tell, but I know my skin well enough to know. :wall:

Ooo, I think I'll ask my derm for some Finacea samples to try; that stuff sounds excellent. Hair loss was not listed in the documentation that comes with the Renova and I haven't taken Accutane or applied the Renova more than 1x per day, so that's why I'm skeptical. Also, not one review in the 1,000+ reviews of Tretinoin in the Acne.org review section mentions hair loss as a side effect. This is all terribly confusing. :think: But thank you for sharing your experience.

Ooo, I think I'll ask my derm for some Finacea samples to try; that stuff sounds excellent. Hair loss was not listed in the documentation that comes with the Renova and I haven't taken Accutane or applied the Renova more than 1x per day, so that's why I'm skeptical. Also, not one review in the 1,000+ reviews of Tretinoin in the Acne.org review section mentions hair loss as a side effect. This is all terribly confusing. :think: But thank you for sharing your experience.

Caused horrific shedding in me. 25 years ago I started on .01 Retin A cream, then went to gel, upped dose and started to have hair problems I didn't connect. It's when I went up to .1 Retin A cream that my eyelashes and eyebrows started to shed within two weeks- didn't make the connection though- still! My hair line started to thin and then the all over shedding after 2 months- scalp pains too. After 6 months on the .1 I figured it out. Duh! Now, 5 months off I am shedding up a massive storm. Two months off I got a liver Vit A test- over the top toxic Vit A levels. I had the same test last year and had normal Vit A levels. So it was all the Retin A .1 at work. I'll be going to another Vit A test soon. I imagine it takes a long time to clear the synthetic Vit A out. It took 3 months off for the depression to lift and 2 month off for the blurry eyes to clear up. Toxic stuff!

And I was never an Accutane user. Never had acne. I used Retin A for skin damage. Sorry to give it up because it worked so well. Yes, they use Retin A for hair loss, but the dose is .0125 mg- much weaker. And I have read accounts that this strength can be too strong on some peoples' scalps and cause more shedding than they can deal with.

AG

listen these topical medications are local! so where you apply it is where you get the effects! when you take accutane its an oral medication it goes into your GI tract and gets absorbed into your blood stream! once its in your blood stream it can travel everywhere in your body! topical local medication vs oral medications totally different! i'm pretty sure you're just going bald in general

Hair loss happened to me with every topical I have ever been on: differen, retin A, tazorac. Not long after applying them, I can feel my scalp itch and then the hair stars to thin out along my temples. After I stop using them, it only takes a week or two for the spots to fill back in and for the scalp to become less itchy. It sucks because the topicals really work for me but id rather have a full head of hair than clear skin so I just use mostly natural treatments that keep my skin semi- ok. I wish more people talked about this hair loss problem, it seems like it is becoming quite common though.

Retinoids cause just the opposite hair growth. I have noticed peach fuzz on chin since using it, and its also prescribed for people with thinning hair, as a previous poster mentioned. Retinoids, absolutely DO NOT cause hair loss, you should attribute it to stress, or an unhealthy diet, lacking nutrients, not to the tretinion.

Edited by demona

Retinoids cause just the opposite hair growth. I have noticed peach fuzz on chin since using it, and its also prescribed for people with thinning hair, as a previous poster mentioned. Retinoids, absolutely DO NOT cause hair loss, you should attribute it to stress, or an unhealthy diet, lacking nutrients, not to the tretinion.

Maybe, but I'd caution others against relying on this. I think it's best to listen to your body as different people tolerate drugs differently.

People at another forum have discussed similar problems with Retin A: http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/viewto...=13&t=13630

For those of you who reported hair loss on Retin A, could you give us an update? Did hair loss stop after stoping the drug?

I have Retin A but I haven't used it recently because I noticed that it was causing similar side effects as when i was on Accutane.

Edited by datsnotmyname