Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

What did the majority of your scarring come from?

Did most of your scarring come from Accutane or use of a specific topical cream, or did your skin scar when you tried to leave it alone and let your acne heal on its own?

Did a sudden breakout of acne cause a large patch of scars, or did you get them slowly over a long period of time?

Did seemingly "normal" pimples leave you with dents and ice picks?

Did all of your pimples scar, or just some?

Was your skin inflamed, dry, irritated, or oily when you scarred the most?

Did your scarring follow a period of stress?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm trying to get my scarring to stop and am having no luck so I'm looking for some clues as to where the "off switch" might be. Any help would be appreciated; this is driving me insane.

I hadn't realized it at the time, but my deepest scars were induced by retin-A a little before the end of high school. prior to that time, I had a couple of minor, inconspicuous ice picks that didn't really bother me. I did not anticipate on getting the deeper rolling scars that I am still dealing with on my chin. Once I realized that topicals were doing this to my skin, I got off of that shit fast. It's taken a long time, but I can safely take care of my face with mild face wash, oil, and baking soda for exfoliation, without getting acne that could leave permanent marks. It makes me a little angry that it took me so long to figure it out, and even though my regimen is so much easier now, still I deal with the scarring. Though, needling has been helping a bit, I wish I didn't have to deal with all the emotional and mental turmoil that I had to endure for almost 4 years now since the scars showed up. Plus, I just want them gone, period!

Guys, come on... Breaking the skin is what causes scars. The treatments we use don't cause scars. It may seem that way when everything clears up, but that's not the case.

To be quite frank, you guys really don't know what the hell you're talking about. Yes, inflammation or breaking of the skin causes scarring. However, a product such as retin-a WILL thin the skin, thus making any existing inflammation you had on your skin more likely to scar. I never scarred from cysts before I put retin-a on my skin, and I'm definitely not the only one with this experience. treatments that are meant to kill acne, also have the potential to make one's skin much much more vulnerable. It's really quite that simple.

I used to be fat and lazy, then I got off my butt and turned myself into a fitness machine. Unfortunately, all that sweating caused major breakouts. Not having experienced this and having gotten some bad but comforting advice from mum and dad (it's a dietary problem, it will go away, providing me with weak topical stuff but no doctors appointments), lead me to not seek treatment... my pride was also involved. One of my favourite activites was MMA training , which lead to skin breakages which lead to massive scarring and bleeding, quite frankly I wish I'd just lived out high school as a fatty!

Edited by idiot98

Other than people's claims, there is no clinical proof that the treatments mentioned have that effect. Technically, the top most layers can be thinned, but you are talking about layers that are thinner than paper to begin with. Much thinner. It doesn't thin your skin as a whole. That is a fallacy talked about in the beauty biz circles. If it could really create that much damage, it would have had numerous class action suits brought against it decades ago.

Retin-a does thin your epidermis (top surface) but thickens the skin underneath. I did get a couple of scars from retin-a but that was because I broke out and then picked at it. But retin-a can make your skin more fragile and much more photosensitive. You must always use sunscreen.

Other than people's claims, there is no clinical proof that the treatments mentioned have that effect. Technically, the top most layers can be thinned, but you are talking about layers that are thinner than paper to begin with. Much thinner. It doesn't thin your skin as a whole. That is a fallacy talked about in the beauty biz circles. If it could really create that much damage, it would have had numerous class action suits brought against it decades ago.

There's also no clinical proof that food exasperates people's acne, yet everyone is unique and one's individual diet can greatly contribute to breakouts and for others, it doesn't. People do lasers and get damaged, yet you never hear about lawsuits. There would be no point to bring in lawsuits against retin-a, because it has helped others to control their wrinkles. The legality issues with topicals is quite different than say, someone dying during an operation.

Besides, I think most people have to figure out in time what it is that is causing the problems in the first place. For me, it WAS retin-a. I did nothing differently, except put retin-a on a couple of times a week, that was enough to cause scarring. Maybe I can't give you clinical proof, but I find the correlation between my scarring and the retin-a use highly likely.

I don't really have permanent scars.

I rarely ever get cysts, but when I do I just leave them cause theyre tiny, then it leaves a small faded scar.

But recently I've been getting more cysts, still very small.

I do have a scar on my cheek from when I was a baby. I got cut in the face.

It's about 1.5cm in lenght, barely dented. Noticeable, if up close. But otherwise not.

Now I don't know what to think about the Renova (.02% tretinoin) that I'm using now. :wacko: Everything scarred before I started using it, so I can't tell if it's making me scar worse or not. But apparently tretinoin increases TGF-beta-1, so I guess it could happen.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!

There's also no clinical proof that food exasperates people's acne, yet everyone is unique and one's individual diet can greatly contribute to breakouts and for others, it doesn't. People do lasers and get damaged, yet you never hear about lawsuits. There would be no point to bring in lawsuits against retin-a, because it has helped others to control their wrinkles. The legality issues with topicals is quite different than say, someone dying during an operation.

Besides, I think most people have to figure out in time what it is that is causing the problems in the first place. For me, it WAS retin-a. I did nothing differently, except put retin-a on a couple of times a week, that was enough to cause scarring. Maybe I can't give you clinical proof, but I find the correlation between my scarring and the retin-a use highly likely.

A class action suit is when there's many people claiming one serious side effect that was not warned about while using the product. If you look at accutane, there are class action suits for that, only not for scaring... They are mainly for claims of it creating crohns and other problems. Even though that can't be conclusive, because many of those people may have gotten crohns anyway. But the point is... There's millions of people that have used Retin-A and products with Retin-A in them... Many of those are beauty products. And if there was anything resembling a widespread pattern of it creating more scaring, I guarantee that lawyers would be all over that. If you search on 'accutane class action suit" you'll find tons of law firms looking for people. But most are asking for "bowel injuries" only. Which means that there is no real evidence that it can worsen scaring. If there was evidence of that, they'd throw that in too. If you search on class action suit for Retin A, there is virtually nothing. The only places I've seen these claims of it worsening scaring, are on message boards... I've not seen one medical professional back that up. Doctors have been prescribing it for a very long time... If there was any chance of it making things worse, they would be much more apprehensive about prescribing it... Like they are with accutane. I just think it's doing people who are thinking about using it a disservice, because there is no legitimate proof that is helps create scars... and all clinical papers I have read about it, don't indicate anything like that. I know from personal experience that it is extremely difficult to get a realistic view of your skin until you are fully healed. When you have all kinds of red marks and stuff, it's almost impossible to tell what is an actual indentation and what is red. I just think that people clear up and start noticing indentations, and make a jump to thinking the medication is responsible. I noticed things for the first time when I cleared up too, but it would have been there whether I took the medications or not.

A class action suit is when there's many people claiming one serious side effect that was not warned about while using the product. If you look at accutane, there are class action suits for that, only not for scaring... They are mainly for claims of it creating crohns and other problems. Even though that can't be conclusive, because many of those people may have gotten crohns anyway. But the point is... There's millions of people that have used Retin-A and products with Retin-A in them... Many of those are beauty products. And if there was anything resembling a widespread pattern of it creating more scaring, I guarantee that lawyers would be all over that. If you search on 'accutane class action suit" you'll find tons of law firms looking for people. But most are asking for "bowel injuries" only. Which means that there is no real evidence that it can worsen scaring. If there was evidence of that, they'd throw that in too. If you search on class action suit for Retin A, there is virtually nothing. The only places I've seen these claims of it worsening scaring, are on message boards... I've not seen one medical professional back that up. Doctors have been prescribing it for a very long time... If there was any chance of it making things worse, they would be much more apprehensive about prescribing it... Like they are with accutane. I just think it's doing people who are thinking about using it a disservice, because there is no legitimate proof that is helps create scars... and all clinical papers I have read about it, don't indicate anything like that. I know from personal experience that it is extremely difficult to get a realistic view of your skin until you are fully healed. When you have all kinds of red marks and stuff, it's almost impossible to tell what is an actual indentation and what is red. I just think that people clear up and start noticing indentations, and make a jump to thinking the medication is responsible. I noticed things for the first time when I cleared up too, but it would have been there whether I took the medications or not.

Once again, you don't actually read what people write. Like I said, individuals react differently to different methods. It helps some people, and for others, like me it unfortunately exasperates problems. I never had such acne that left my face covered, as if it was unbeknownst to me which acne was scarring me. For god sakes, I did know what pimples I was getting AFTER and DURING retin-a, and those of which scarred.

btw, Are you like an authority butt kisser? You must be one of those gullible americans who believe everything their president, government, and doctor tells them. I read carefully beneath the lines. And I also know my own body. Retin-A may have cleared up my acne if I stuck with it, but I was not willing to take any more chances once I had seen the scarring from its usage. I am clear now with natural methods and even when I get the occasional cyst, it doesn't scar, unlike when I was on retin-A. To each their own.

Edited by smoothmove

Actually I am pretty sure accutane does make it easier for one to scar. It's pretty obvious, wound healing and fragile skin is quite noticeable for the majority of accutaners. I've been getting light scracthed on my body/arms without realising, and the scratch mark stays around for ages, those dont leave a scar though. The problem with that though it is hard to prove, as ALL acne has the potential to scar, and therefore hard to win a lawsuit. And also there is an inherent warning in that most derms warn you that you will/can experience an IB. And as all pimples have potential to scar, more pimples mean more chances, so you cant exactly sue for that either. My IB wasnt even that bad, and occurred in an area that wasnt that bad either, the pimples werent worse then things i've gotten that have healed completely. But when i got them on accutane they have a slight indentation now. And like i said the area of the IB wasnt that bad, mildish, so it wasnt like there was all these actives/redmarks that hid the true dmg.

Using toothpaste on the scars, which completely dried it out. I ended up peeling the dryness off my skin because I was so impatient - quite painful! As well as the usual picking / squeezing my spots.

Once again, you don't actually read what people write. Like I said, individuals react differently to different methods. It helps some people, and for others, like me it unfortunately exasperates problems. I never had such acne that left my face covered, as if it was unbeknownst to me which acne was scarring me. For god sakes, I did know what pimples I was getting AFTER and DURING retin-a, and those of which scarred.

btw, Are you like an authority butt kisser? You must be one of those gullible americans who believe everything their president, government, and doctor tells them.

Wow... Sounds like somebody's really angry. That's not good for your acne you know.

here's what i think caused me to scar.

1.acne

2. retin a

3.and a crappy derm who only wants to make money and doesn't care about his/her patient.

so for those of you who haven't started retin a yet,please don't use it, am not saying that it'll cause you indented scars but hey id rather have acne rather than this scarring.

For those who are intending to use retin a:(please read this)

find a gentle cleanser, antibiotic topical (clindamycin/clinda gel,sansacne, or duac) and be patient, it'll clear soon, and my worst mistake was that i listened to what other people says about my crappy skin, i ended up having this bad scarring which i think i have to live with my whole life. :mad:

btw, Are you like an authority butt kisser? You must be one of those gullible americans who believe everything their president, government, and doctor tells them.

Wow... Sounds like somebody's really angry. That's not good for your acne you know.

yes, ignorance can bother me at times, but I refrain from anger.

yes, ignorance can bother me at times, but I refrain from anger.

So now I'm ignorant... Man, you really have a hard time with people disagreeing with you, don't you.

I think most of the rolling scars on my cheeks were caused by cystic acne/inflammation. The damaged pores on my nose a combination of chronic blackheads and extracting them wrong. I think the ice pick and scars on my chin are from picking.