Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, so ive seen my derm after having no luck with Minocycline or over the counter acne cleansers.

I have relatively mild acne most the time, yet i get these red and noticable lesions under the skin.

They rarely come to a head, and can sit there for weeks, and usually scar or leave a mark even if i leave them alone.

Will Differin Adapalene work for these under the skin inflammations? Or should i start a cycle of Accutane?

I guess they could be described as nodules, definately prone to scarring so they have to go!

Any information or experiences is greatly appreciated! Thanks =)

Firstly, it's up to your derm to tell you your options and help you decide.

I'd say that a combination therapy could be a good shot. That would involve a topical retinoid (Differin) and a different oral antibiotic. Try it for at least few months and then, if it fails, accutane might be an option.

Good Luck!

Hey, I'm pretty sure that minocycline is quite a bit more powerful than Differin. I tried both myself (Differin was a while ago and I later switch to Tazorac..which is a stronger topical). Accutane is the strongest stuff on the market so if all else has failed this would be the way to go.

Hey, I'm pretty sure that minocycline is quite a bit more powerful than Differin. I tried both myself (Differin was a while ago and I later switch to Tazorac..which is a stronger topical). Accutane is the strongest stuff on the market so if all else has failed this would be the way to go.

Minocycline is an antibiotic, differin and tazorac is a retinoid, they have different mechanisms of action and I don't think you can compare them just like that. It all depends on the type of your acne. But in general it is better to try other options before going for accutane. Accutane is not a miracle cure and it doesn't cure acne in a blink of an eye. So if mono-therapy has failed, next step is to combine before going for accutane, especially if your acne is generally mild.

Minocycline is an antibiotic, differin and tazorac is a retinoid, they have different mechanisms of action and I don't think you can compare them just like that. It all depends on the type of your acne. But in general it is better to try other options before going for accutane. Accutane is not a miracle cure and it doesn't cure acne in a blink of an eye. So if mono-therapy has failed, next step is to combine before going for accutane, especially if your acne is generally mild.

Agreed, though it's been my experience that mild acne is sometimes the most persistent. You don't break out with 12 or more pimples..more like 2-3 but you never get completely clear (speaking from experience). As Helios said, It's definitely safer to try a variety of treatments before accutane as it's a very serious drug; however, your "condition" (pleasehelp123) sounds very similar to what I'm dealing with. I tried everything (Differen, Tazorac, Minocycline, Proactive)...I basically was a prime candidate for accutane so I'm hoping it works in the end. The problem in general though with topicals is that you aren't treating the source of the problem. You put this stuff on zits when they appear but you're never really "cutting them off" at the source. That's why, in general, oral treatments are more effective. My derm told me that minocycline is one of the stronger oral treatments..after that all there really is is accutane.

Good luck though with whatever you decide. ;)

Everyone's skin is different.

For me Differin after 4 months did not help and I was getting worse.

Differin did not work on my cystic acne, my face got more irritated.

I think since you have deep infections it might be best to take a combination approach using a retinoid to help prevent breakouts, a topical to treat existing ones and an oral antibiotic.

Did your dermatologist say "You can try Differin, but if that doesn't work you can go on Accutane." ?

Seems like you haven't tried any prescription topicals, retiniods, etc. to see if those would work for you. Accutane isn't always a sure thing for everyone, it's a last resort but not every gets clear from it. By all means I would suggest trying all other options before going down the Accutane path, especially since you normally have mild acne with the exception of these nodules.

Great feedback guys this is really helping!

My derm gave me the option to either try the Differin cream and up the Minocycline dosage from 2 to 4 pills a day. or alternatively to be clear with accutane in 5-6 months. (assuming it works as it does for most)

I guess i dont want to take accutane unless i really need to, my acne is not severe, but definately persistent and prone to scarring.

I think i should atleast give the Differin cream a couple of months, it might save me months of side effects on accutane which i could have solved with a topical.

I shall talk to my derm about it when i see him again in a few weeks, and if he thinks the Differin will work on these nasty lesions then i think ill give it a try, possibly along with upping the dosage of minocycline.