Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Day....93? Wowzers!

So i thought given the fact that i haven't been logging as much as i had planned, and the fact that i just started month 4 of accutane today (OH YEEEEEAAH) i would update today. I had my derm app yesterday, all went well. I asked her how long she felt i needed to be on this stuff, she said definitely 5 full months. She puts her patients on the full dose right off the bat (and warns then about a bad initial break out) so that the treatment can be cut down by a month. So i am more than halfway there!!! I am totally on the home stretch too, i feel it in my bones. I touch my skin, i feel SKIN, i wash my face, my skin is SMOOTH. I look up close at my pores, NO BLACKHEADS, no whiteheads, no itching or swelling under the skin, no big red lumps, no scabs. I hadn't had a single breakout for a full week, until yesterday, i had a pustule pop up on my neck/jawline kinda area. Weird it came out of nowhere and i just popped it out easily that same night.....So i'm not completely clear yet. And i still have a lot of discoloration, a lot of pigment. I'm noticing that i can really see where many of my past breakouts were especially on my cheek area, the pigment takes FOREVER to fade on my cheeks!!! Why is that? my forehead i have very little, and my chin which as been the worst war zone on my face doesn't have much hyperpigmentation either....i went on this stuff at the right time then because my cheeks had really gotten worse right before i went on it. My derm recommended azarac (sp?) for afterwards for fading that. I had never heard of that topical before.

Side effects are much better. Eczema is no more on my hands. Arms get a little rough/flakey if i skimp on my coconut oil everyday. Face is less peely/red. I don't use anything other than a rosewater/glycerin mist at night to hydrate after i cleanse with the cetephil. Mornings i still do borage butter cream. Lips are even less dry but lip balm is still an absolute MUST.

Still doing 80/10/10 diet for the most part. I am eating all raw right now but i think probably a bit more fats than 80/10/10 recommends. But eating primarily fruits and greens, TONS of water, coconut water, sea veggies.....i feel pretty awesome health-wise. I think getting way more hydration in my body also helped with the severity of dryness. I also have been hitting up exercise a lot more and this like i've said before is a LIFE SAVER if you deal with low energy and mood fluctuations/being more emotional while on accutane and birth control pills.

So i think i'm going to bite the bullet and post some pictures. They aren't going to be great quality since they're with a cell phone camera, but you'll get the gist. Improvement is definitely visible enough to warrant posting.

I hope everyone reading who is thinking about going on accutane DOES IT. Please!!!! And i hope that everyone who is on it now and who is struggling keeps strong because it does get easier, just know that.

So, hopefully this works. Never thought i'd Ever show my acne to the world, but here ya go. Please excuse the poor quality and how horrible i look..haha...

Sad girl, but hopeful because i was about to start accutane. That was a doozy on my forehead.....

post-126342-1276919413_thumb.jpg

Same day, different angle, bummed

post-126342-1276919402_thumb.jpg

just got back from running...was getting better here, maybe like 2 months into accutane....

post-126342-1276919551_thumb.jpg

Yesterday!

post-126342-1276919631_thumb.jpg

Yesterday as well. No actives, the red spots are post inflammatory pigment from cysts and from me picking at my face when i had actives. Oh, and the redness on my temple was an effing mosquito bite that LOOKED like huge weeping cyst....i love bug bites that mimic acne....*rolls eyes*

post-126342-1276919716_thumb.jpg

w/makeup taken just now, Doing good!!!

post-126342-1276919737_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1276919402_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1276919413_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1276919551_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1276919631_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1276919716_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1276919737_thumb.jpg

Ohhh you are beautiful. You're skin is lovely. From the pictures I can't even see any post inflammatory pigmentation! So don't you worry :) It really makes me happy when I read people reaching satisfaction and increasing confidence in their accutane treatment- it makes me soo hopeful. I have to agree with the exercise. I've been keeping up with it and I swear its really positively impacted any lethargy I might feel, even getting me through my lack of sleep from study. If I didn't go out and exercise I reckon I'd feel like a wreck. Looking forward to hearing more! Take care til then hon.

Day 98-

So not much is really changing these days. I started getting the dry skin patches on my arms again because i ran out of coconut oil, as soon as i started using this again it improved. Get raw, organic coconut oil if you have dry, flakey, burning skin on your body, it Really helps! i've had 1 or two tiny little bumps come up, it's like my skin wants to break out so bad but it can't because it's accutane to the rescue!!!! It's like impossible for anything to become big and inflamed. Dare i say that i actually have normal feeling/acting skin now??? I have a spot though that was the nastiest, deepest cyst i've ever gotten that popped up along the way, i'm sure i wrote about it. It's been over a month since it "got better" and i still feel this tiny knot deep down in my skin where it was. The scab also hasn't fulling gone away and still peels and bleeds once in a while. I need to ask my derm about it because it's driving me crazy. It has already gone away and come back in a rage once, it almost feels like it's going to come back again.....the never ending cyst? Hopefully by the end of the month it will be gone because it's really the only thing left to heal now. Picture from yesterday: (i am wearing some foundation and concealer)

post-126342-1277321576_thumb.jpg

Thanks girls for the encouragement! Jasmine, definitely keep as active as you can, it is saving me. I really don't get the whole depression thing around accutane. I feel more alive and free than i have in a LONG time. I feel like my life has just begun for real this time haha. I know what depression feels like too however. But i don't think accutane as a drug can cause clinical depression. Feeling tired and like crap and being physically uncomfortable from accutane is not the same as clinical depression where a person wants to end their life. I wish this medication was more easily available for people and there was less fear surrounding it. I look forward to following your experience too!

Well it's getting hotter outside. I've noticed more flushing again, heat flashes.....face gets super red and blotchy.....oh well, less than 2 months to go!!! WHOOO!

post-126342-1277321576_thumb.jpg

Day 101:

O M G. I was sitting on my bed messing around on the internet and my hand happened to brush over the side of my head.....i felt a tenderness....and i was like, ohhh noooo. Yes, a big cyst has popped up on the left side of my forehead near my temple completely out of nowhere! Definitely one of the most swollen ones i've had in a very, very long time. I swore to leave it alone until it was visibly ready to pop (sometimes my cysts turn into popable acne) but no, i of course proceeded to try to extract it right away. I don't think it's humanely possible to leave stuff alone. I have tried so many times its not even funny and i don't think i've actually EVER succeeded. So, of course it is worse now, it probably would have de-inflated in a day or two because accutane seems to speed stuff up, but now it's probably pushed deeper, its definitely redder, and i'll have a nice scab to deal with for the next week. AHGGG!!!!!

Missmooshoo, YES Tazarac must have been what she said. What is it for? To keep acne away or for pigmentation afterwards? i'm scared of topicals too, i have NEVER had a good experience. Although a girlfriend of mine who has The Most Perfect looking skin of anyone i've ever seen was on accutane years ago and still uses Differin and says it really helps. Also i have another friend who uses Retin-a and it has totally helped her acne. I've tried retinol creams though in the past and like you my skin went bizerk and got worse and was completely irritated and inflammed. I've had pretty good results with a mild natural glycolic/lactic acid based product so maybe i'll just stick to that after accutane. Or have you tried retin-a micro? Supposedly gentler......I don't know if i want to do much vitamin a stuff though for a long time after accutane. We've been on a mega dose of the stuff already so it might be good to give the skin a break....

Thank you SO much for the compliments!!!! Makes me feel good. I feel better now, i'm trying not to let this gigantic cyst ruin my weekend.

Day 121:

Nearly on my 5th month! Derm app. is this coming up Monday and i'll be staring my last pack. She put me on 60 mg right from the get go in order to cut my treatment time down from 6 to 5 months. I'm doing really good. Ready to be off accutane! I tried to exfoliate for the first time since starting the medication and i looked raw....then i tried putting on a "soothing seaweed mask" that was made for sun burned skin, and it felt like battery acid on my face! I immediately had to rinse it off with cool water. Aye yi yi. I'm looking forward to being able to exfoliate and use a mask once in a while...I've had only 1 breakout since the big knarly cyst i had during my last update...that went away, is flat now but did scar....bullshit.....it's mainly just a dark spot but it did leave a little indentation too which if i know my skin it will probably smooth over luckily in time. Picture!.....

post-126342-1279301724_thumb.jpg

My boyfriend says my pores and texture of my skin has changed, it's true, the texture of my skin is completely different and i literally have zero blackheads. I dreamt the other night that i looked in the mirror and kept finding all these blackheads....glad to wake up and realize that nightmare is behind me. I'm going to look for a good natural vitamin C serum today with lightening abilities so i can start working on some of my scarring. I have a little concealer on in the picture and it is really sunny in this room so you can't tell that i have some discoloration, mainly on my cheeks where i got the bad cysts early on in my treatment. Oddly the scars i had now are only from bad breakouts i got when i started the medication. I'd never had so many cysts. But it was worth it.

post-126342-1279301724_thumb.jpg

Edited by Myskiniswhole

You are looking great!! Congrats. Im on day 40 and jumped into your log looking for a little encouragement for the upcoming weeks and you just gave it to me :) Thank you!! Hope the rest of your course runs smooth and you get the results you deserve from this thing.

Day 126-

Had my derm appointment a few days ago and she was so happy! I am so happy too! She said looking at my skin we could have pulled me off now but she wants me to finish the course so that i can get the full number of mg for the highest rate of lasting cure. I said i'm all for it! I've come this far. So i picked up my LAST prescription!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to be done!!! My skin is just getting better and better, the scaring is really starting to fade now as well to the point where i can walk around without foundation/concealer and feel okay about things. May seem like a small feat to non-acne sufferers but for those of us that have been plagued this is a HUGE DEAL. I am noticing that i have way less anxiety now than i have had in a long time. I feel a sense of calm and peace that i haven't enjoyed for quite some time. I have been cycling everywhere because its beautiful out, and my car bonked on me (and burning fossil fuel isn't the coolest thing) and i don't care if i sweat all my makeup off! I'm not worried about my pores getting clogged, breakouts, i catch myself thinking about it and then i remember, it's OVER, your face will not be a mess tomorrow morning. My skin has changed so much that i really can't imagine it ever going back to how it was. My whole being has changed i feel. It is a huge shift, a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. So....1 more month to go. I just can't stress this enough, if you are thinking about doing this DO ITTTTTTTT. Also i want to mention, my cholesterol levels and liver function has remained the same throughout this entire treatment, no changes. No worries. No nosebleeds, aching muscles, extreme fatique.....the worst of it was getting all of those cysts early on and then the consequent wounds/peeling/healing that had to go on, the red flushing in the first month or two, mild headaches, and dry lips that are just gonna be that way no matter what. The worse before it got better phase was a bitch i'm not going to lie. Many tears shed. But totally and completely worth it, no doubts. My bloodwork has been so stable that i've only had to have 3 blood draws throughout my entire treatment.

I'm going camping later this summer for the first time in FOREVER. I had crossed camping off on my list of things i love to do because taking care of/covering up my acne while camping was too much for me to handle. HOORAY!

Hi! I just came across your log hoping for something to cheer me up. I'm on Day 28 of Accutane, and although my skin is a lot worse than yours was to begin with, I'm basically dreaming all the time of going outside without make up on. Some day. Hopefully after this treatment's over I can. Anyway, congratulations! Your skin looks fabulous. :dance:

Day..138?

Almost halfway through my box of pills for my last month! Month 5 baby...going strong....I am elated that i will have clear skin now of course....but i am also elated that i'll have some money in my life again! 400 dollars a month for 5 months when you make minimum wage hurts, big time. This experience has also brought to light the fact that i can go on a tight budget and make it work, save money, put money aside, etc. if i really need to. I have shelled out 2000 dollars over this 5 months course towards my accutane, this is the cost of the 330 prescription, plus the dr. bills, plus the cost of birth control.....amazing. But well worth every penny.

Skin update:

I've had i think...1 tiny tiny spot on my cheek that healed up immediately after i extracted it. 2 little tiny clogged pores that i simply extracted and poof they were gone, and then one half assed pustule that popped up the day before yesterday on the underside of my chin...extracted and it's healing no problem. So...skin is NOT 100% perfection....but even if it doesn't get any better than this long term i would be happy. It is normal to have a pimple once in a while. Numerous pimples everyday, not normal. Even girls with gorgeous skin break out....i am an esthetician and have done lots and lots of facials so i have experience with these things...= ) Two things that are bothering me.....the cyst that i had maybe 3 months ago or so on my left cheek has still not completely healed. Granted i mucked with it something fierce while it was active, it was a really bad wound at one point. I will post pics with no makeup to show you all. I can feel a little lump when i press on that area. It isn't tender...and you can't see any lump on the surface of the skin, it's deeper down.....and it still looks red and peels when i wash my face....it's been months since the cyst was actually active so i'm amazed that this is still going on...maybe it can't fully heal until after i'm off the meds? Then i have another mark from a cyst on the right side of my face that kind of bubbled back up in a weird way about a week ago...some clear lymph fluid came out of it...and now it's healing again....kind of weird. The original cyst i had again messed with really badly, but it had originally formed about 2 months ago....so these are taking a looooong time to heal. Everything on my cheek area always takes longer to heal for some reason....

You can't really see the mark well, but it's there. Weird deep bump that wont full go away from past cyst...

post-126342-1280690320_thumb.jpg

Other side. You can see the mark on cheek that was a cyst from 2 months ago...still not fully healed up...just a mark not though...

post-126342-1280690335_thumb.jpg

No makeup people. I just woke up too. I'm a brave girl

post-126342-1280690347_thumb.jpg

Yay!

post-126342-1280690379_thumb.jpg

Stay strong everyone on accutane!

post-126342-1280690320_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1280690335_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1280690347_thumb.jpg

post-126342-1280690379_thumb.jpg

Wow, I just wanted to say hi and thank you for posting your log. I've just started on accutane, on day 6 today so a while to go yet but I'm excited. I totally get all the psychological issues it caused you - same here. Was so great to read your posts towards the end where you seem like you've had a total shift in mindset. How exciting for you!

Congrats on the great skin, enjoy! :clap:

Day....i dunno but i only have 8 days left until i complete my 5 month treatment!!!~~~

So not much has changed, skin just continues to improve. I think i'm on the fast track to actually LOVING my skin! Amazing and like a dream come true. That damn scabby thing on my left cheek is still acting up. It will peel and feel raw...i still feel scar tissue deep under there....i'm not sure what to do for it....i've heard the supplement MSM which an organic sulphur derivative works well for scar tissue. Or maybe it will just take time? I wanted to share a few products that i've been using recently that are really helping:

I used to work with this line at a spa i was working for called Arcona, love it. I really like this exfoliant, and have started using it again only once a week, very gently. I don't really recommend exfoliating on accutane, especially in the beginning of treatment:

http://www.arcona.com/page/100/PROD/2001/8900

And this serum from Eminence organic, which helps heal, hydrate and lighten pigment. I was looking for something to help with the pigmentation that wasn't an acid, a harsh exfoliant, a vitamin a derivative, or a chemical. Stone crop is a natural lightener and it is totallllly gentle, and it is working! It's helped my skin in general look better, more hydrated, plumped up, less stressed from the accutane:

http://www.skin-one.com/eminence-stone-crop-serum.html

I am almost done, i can't believe it! We're going to the beach to celebrate. = ) = )

Day- Who cares, i only have today and tomorrow left!!!!!!!!

A picture speaks a thousand words...

post-126342-1282059456_thumb.jpg

Makeup/bronzer on.....but skin is doing really great. It is time to get off this stuff though because my skin is so thinned out. Every little nick, scrape, a bug bite, etc. peels and is raw and then leaves a mark. I'm also feeling more emotional lately (could just be whacky hormones from birth control pills) but my system is feeling maxed out on this stuff. There are times were i feel like i've taken too much of a certain medication...like an anxiety feeling, a bit flushed, a headache...i think its just that i'm at the last stretch and i have quite a bit now in my system. 60 mg from day 1 was quite a lot.

Tomorrow is my last day, and it happens to fall on my mother's birthday, which was cool. I will post pictures of me with no makeup soon. No active pimples for weeks now. I've noticed a few tiny, tiny little bumps that i can't even call a pimple because there is no redness or swelling or inflammation, and they go away in a day or so......i have normal skin now.......nothing short of a miracle.

post-126342-1282059456_thumb.jpg