Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coolguy

would it be weird if i discuss about my depression due to accutane with my manager?

i feel like talking to my manager about depression from accutane. i've been doing horrible in school and my manager doesn't know that. doesn't know i'm failing. she thinks i'm doing well. i don't want to blame accutane but i really do feel depressed these days. it's been 3 months after my last round of accutane. don't know if i can continue school. would it be weird if i talked to my manager about accutane depression? i know it probably depends what the manager is like. but i think my manager would be very understanding.

can somebody answer his question please? i dont know the answer!!

do you and your manager have a close bond? what do you expect the outcome to be as a result of letting him know about your depression? are you trying to get help? i don't see why not. I think everyone should have somebody to talk to their problems about. I don't know how you can live life without venting or having trusted people to cry too!!

i feel like talking to my manager about depression from accutane. i've been doing horrible in school and my manager doesn't know that. doesn't know i'm failing. she thinks i'm doing well. i don't want to blame accutane but i really do feel depressed these days. it's been 3 months after my last round of accutane. don't know if i can continue school. would it be weird if i talked to my manager about accutane depression? i know it probably depends what the manager is like. but i think my manager would be very understanding.

I think without a doubt you should def bring it up. Like you said im sure he would be very understanding about it all and be willing to help you out. Is accutane working at all for you?

It depends totally on how your relationship with your manager is and if you feel s/he is a true FRIEND, or is just a supervisor. If you are having trouble at work, it might not hurt to bring it up, but be prepared for the possible stigma associated with depression. If you are doing fine at work and have no issues, it might be better to say nothing.

Talk to your guidance counselor(s) at school; depression is treatable and if you're doing badly at school, maybe they can find alternate ways for you to study/retake classes without being failed out as that WILL hurt your GPA. Some schools might allow you to withdraw without grade penalty (if this is college I mean).

Hmmm. I would only discuss this with the manager if its affecting your performance at work. Discuss it with somebody closer to you like a close friend or family.

Not saying you shouldnt, but the reason I feel guilty getting personal with higher ups at work is I dont want it to appear that im making excuses. But thats just me, i can be hard headed.

Let us know how it goes - when it comes to discussing anything emotional and personal with your employers, it pays to know exactly the kind of relationship you have with them. My current bosses know all about the issues in my life and any current treatments and their ups and downs, but I've worked there for years now. If it had been any sooner, I would never think of telling them.

Many years ago, when I was about to go on birth control, I discussed it with my boss. I just explained to her that I would be experimenting with birth control for my acne for the next...however long...and that if I were acting weird, or emotional, that the birth control would probably be to blame. We weren't "close" but I just wanted to give her a heads up in case I started crying for no good reaon. She actually appreciated it a lot.

If you feel your manager will be understanding, I think it would be very helpful to get it off your chest.

I agree that it really depends on the relationship you have with your manager. Accutane did effect my work to the point I had to put simple things on post-it notes since I became very forgetful. Explaining this to my manager while assurring him that I was doing my best to be on top of everything for those few months was a huge relief. He's a great guy though and truly cares about the well being of his employees. If you do decide to go to your manager, I hope he or she is as sympathetic and understanding. On the bright side, the depression won't last forever. Best wishes to you. :)

alright guys. thanks again! you all have been great helping me out. ps. this will prob be the last time i check this thread so don't post anymore messages after this haha. thank you all! ty ty ty

Edited by coolguy

Hi there.. I am writing to respond to your question about talking to your manager about your depression and not wanting to continue with school..

1- I think you should first share all of this with your doc that is prescribing the accutate. this may not be the best treatment for you if side effects are too much

2- in school, you could try to talk to your guidance counselor to get support to continue going. getting jobs are so hard now, dont give up because of your appearance!!

just remember - some day we will all be old and wrinkly and gross :)

I think you can share some of this with your boss. just the fact that your going thru a lot of transition right now but your dedicated to your job

hang in there!