Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I know that red marks are supposed to clear up after 6 months to a year but for some reason mine usually don't. I have this one mark for almost a year from a cyst and it's looked the same since like a month after the cyst cleared. I have other red marks from 3 years ago and while they have faded slightly over the years, they are still red (these marks are also indented). My most recent breakout has been flattened out and no longer active for a while now but is still as red as hell and I fear it may not fade. I'm hoping to get a prescription for retin a micro as I've heard it can help red marks but I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Am I the only one with permanant red marks?

I'm in the same boat as you although I've had IPL (intense pulsed light)....I hate the red because with light makeup my scars are 50% gone so I know the red makes really shallow marks look twice as deep...the IPL did improve the discoloration, I think it would work wonders for you!

It costs a lot though>expect a couple thousand for 5 treatments or 250-500 per treatment. I would do it again becausse my derm alternated the light, sometimes attacking the redness, sometimes stimulating collagen...I should have pointed out to my derm which red marks botherd me the most because she missed some of those spots...i think some damage occurs to the bloodvessels in which case peels WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT get rid of it, nor will it fade much>basically it's burst bloodvessels that haven't reabsorbed. IPL works for that. I have some red marks that in a few monts have faded alot but deeper, blood vessel damage can be cleared away with IPL. I saw results after the second treatment.

Thats great news chole. I am considereing going for IPL and you definatley have given me hope. I had a consultation last week but then I started thinking I should try retin a first because its cheaper. Maybe I'll just go ahead and jump into the IPL. Have you tried retin a chole?

My Derm also rec'd. IPL. But my problem is not redness (I had 2 VLS lasers for that), it is the indents. They are not deep, they are very shallow but I have alot of them. They are not really noticable in some lighting but in the sideview mirror of my car I could just about cry.sad.gif Did the IPL help with the indents at all? If I can get 30-50% improvement I'd be happy.

24withacne...I've tried retin a a loooooong time ago (when my skin was scar free and way better than i thought)...all that did was make me red, dry and worse I was more upset about that than the acne....have not tried retin a recently tho and won't.

I'd skip the retin a. IMO, I think it would waste your time since some of the red could be burst/damaged bloodvessels and I don't think a cream helps that. I had several red spots unrelated to acne that sat on my face for years and years and one IPL treatment got rid of them.

Sickofthis::: the IPL does help stimulate collagen, I noticed about a 30-40% improvemnt depending on what mark was targeted. Some very small marks have either vanished completely or are so small I can barely find them. HOWEVER, I think smoothbeam (which I haven't tried) would be better for indents. The marks that have responded most favorably were the enlarged pore looking ones...some patches of those disappeared..basically, it's like the marks contract and you have more good skin versus scarred skin. My mother noticed a diff and my derm remarked on it too.

There is very little downtime but I had 5 treatments spaced over 5 months (the second/third is when i started to really notice a diff. Hope the info helps...also get an experienced doc who's done HUNDREDS of these treatmenst since it is the doc who adjusts the wavelength etc...Karyn Grossman in NYC did mine but she's friggin hard to book and expensive because she doesn't take insurance she's also really detail oriented and caters to celebrities so a few pimples are like a catastrophe to her but she's VERY competent!

Chole your words are very encouraging! How much downtime was there after each treatment? Would I be able to do it during my lunch break or would it be better to wait until friday after work? I think I am going to call the place I had the consultation with next week and try to set up an appointment!

Hey 24,

I hope it works for you! It should since it targets redness>>>especially if your derm suggested it...The downtime depends on how deep the wavelength goes...you could do it at your lunch hour...the most obvious signs are some swelling/puffiness and pink/redness....but it's mild redness, like if you've walked around on a sunny day all day w/out sunblock.

Maybe your first appt. should be on a Fri. so you can judge for yourself...oh, my face kind of ached a bit for a few days but it was mild, showed that the light did it's thing...as for pain it does hurt a little, like a hot rubberband snapping at your skin but is nuthin' compared to the hurt one feels with marks/scars that's for sure!!!!

If it's just redness, so much the indents>you should see some kind of diff. after 2 weeks or the second treatment. (the marks may appear darker at first, give it a couple weeks after treatment).

BTW, always got to have hope right rolleyes.gif:pray:

NO i had some of my marks from 7th grade any way i just heard of a new med called bye bye blemish. I just read it on a message borad maybe you should try it

hi, i hope you get good improvements with IPL.

my experience with IPL was pretty enjoyable. first, i was given a mild chemical peel to get rid of whatever junk i had on my face. then they applied this black carbon (?) mask and you have to wait a while for this to absorb the oxygen on your face (if i remember all this right)... the procedure itself took about 1-2 hours for me... it sounded like rubber bands snapping and can be quite frightening because of how loud it is, although it didn't hurt. (you will smell something burnt all throughout).

at the end of it, i was given a super cooling mask and it felt sooo good. your face will feel incredibly smooth right after, and a bit hot as well. it will be red, and i think it is best not to do this on a working day... not a lunch time thing at all, well at least for me. some people, might scab, but i didn't.

i didn't see much improvements after the first session. i think it takes at least 2 sessions until you notice a difference... i had 3 sessions spaced one month apart, so that was three months+ before i stopped (because i couldn't afford the remaining sessions)...

it helps with broken blood vessels and red marks, but i don't think it works for indents, (what i think). works good for redness around the nose, (was my main concern), just all around redness that never go away...

i would say that it gave me a 20-30% improvement overall. also, i ate a lot of fish when i had this done, i thought it would help...

honest opinion: i feel like i shouldn't have spent so much on this... i'm just bitter because i had bad experience with the doctor, who seemed to only want my money. (everything was done by an aesthetician, except when he came in to do the IPL)... i guess he didn't seem concerned enough about my skin because the majority of my consultation was about how much i owe them. (2 years later) i still receive christmas cards from them... :neutral:

for some people though, i know it completely cleared away all the redness from years and years that never went away from exfoliation because it was deep inside. good luck...