Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lifeless

What do people really see??

Has anyone else wondered what you actually look like to people around you? I know I have... I look in some mirrors, look great, then look in other mirrors and have hideous skin. Unfortunately, I have a mixture of severe scarring and mild acne.

I just wish I knew what people really see when they see me throughout my daily life. Hopefully, most of the time I don't look as gross as when I'm looking in the mirror. Especially under harsh lights such as overhead fluorescent lighting...

So what do you go by? Dark light? Natural light? Bright light? Harsh light? How do you know what you look like to other people?

Also, are some mirrors less accurate than others?? Do some mirrors actually magnify your flaws/make them more noticeable?

Edited by Lifeless

Story of my life.

The mirror in my room I love, because my room doesn't get much light. And when I look at my face in it, I think to myself wow I'm happy with my skin.

Then 2 feet away in the bathroom where there's more light, and the mirror has to be different or something, my face looks awful.

Story of my life.

The mirror in my room I love, because my room doesn't get much light. And when I look at my face in it, I think to myself wow I'm happy with my skin.

Then 2 feet away in the bathroom where there's more light, and the mirror has to be different or something, my face looks awful.

Ughhhh, I so know the feeling. I do think that some mirrors are terrible. The one in my room is awesome. The one in my bathroom makes me look TERRIBLE! But I know it's not the light because I brought my mirror into my bathroom a few times and I look better in that one still.

I think i look better in mirrors where there is more light...

Go outside in natural light - take a picture of yourself and then you will know what people see when they look at you.

Oh im female and this is a nightmare! If i put foundation on in my bedroom it looks amazing! Then when i go downstairs (big roomsize window) i look either so pale or hideously umpa lumpa style orange :( arghhh i feel your pain

Car mirrors seem to conspire to make me look worse. I look fine in every mirror in my home, then i go get in my car, catch a glimpse in the mirror, and that's my day just about ruined!

I usually look at myself next to a window with a hand held mirror before leaving the house during the day. I can't stand being oblivious to what I actually look like. Sometimes it's fine to just ignore it, but I just want to be sure there's not some big, ridiculous clump of cover up or patch of flaky skin I don't see in the bathroom mirror --- because that has happened before and it's not fun when you finally discover it in the bathroom at work....

I notice there's even a difference between the rear view mirror in my car and the sun visor mirror. Rear view mirror = not looking too bad....sun visor mirror = dreadful!!

I thought I was the only one who felt lik this!! Its the same story with me. I look decent in some mirrors with make up on but serisouly I have never looked at myself in daylight outisde in a mirror I too terrified of what I will see.

Car mirrors seem to conspire to make me look worse. I look fine in every mirror in my home, then i go get in my car, catch a glimpse in the mirror, and that's my day just about ruined!

dude its the exact same thing with me!!!!!! i look in every mirror in my house and finally im like "wow im clearing up" then i accedentally look into the car mirror (i try to avoid it at all costs) then i instantly go back inside and hypernate for a few weeks

Mind my french but I dont give a fuck what people think about what I look like its there problem, if they think I look ugly they get the bad karma not me, we are greatful for life but people who never get acne dont bother about life they throw it away and wonder why they die young.

yea, I only like one mirror in my house. Even people I know without acne prefer certain mirrors to others just because they look better in them. Generally, people don't notice your flaws as much as you think because they aren't sitting from 3 inches away staring at your face. Though, every once in a while there will be those people who just sit and stare at your face despite your attempt to make eye contact..... :naughty:

ohmygosh i so agree!! Car mirrors look my skin look so hideous! Which is why i avoid them at all costs... haha

Edited by pinksparkle

bathroom mirrors are The worst place for me along with outdoor sunshine. I just look crap with all these severe scarring + redness.

i realized something yesterday, mirrors aren't there just for your reflection, the lighting is always placed to highlight your imperfections so we can address them. plus your mindstate (ie stress) affects your skin. in a mirror i'll look red, but coming in from outside i see my natural color slowly turn red from the associated stress. truth is, finding your skins imperfections is where's waldo, you only really find them when you look for them.

Yeah, It depends on how much lighting and how close I am. When my face is shaded and im close enough my face looks great since I look like I have an even skin tone and a have good bone structure.

When im far away and the lights hits me and shades my face I see actually how jacked up my face is =( Also depends what side of my face im seeing. It sucks

Tell me about it.. my acne isn't bad anymore, but I still look terrible in some mirrors.. espcially when fluorescent lights are involved.. who invented those stupid lights anyway? I look fine in normal lights, but at school i'm constantly self conscious because of the stupid fluorescent lights that stay on all day for some reason even if the sun is shining in the room!

I think I look best in daylight, dim light is good obviously, orange lights make me look darker, and let me say I love to be pale.. fluroscent lights make me look pale, I love that but also showed a scratch scar I have on my cheek, hate that.

I look horrible in car mirrors, I couldn't even look at them today when I was searching for cars to buy. But the mirrors at school and home, my face looks amazing. I think that its impossible to look good in car mirrors though, way way way too much light in a small area.

I look horrible in car mirrors, I couldn't even look at them today when I was searching for cars to buy. But the mirrors at school and home, my face looks amazing. I think that its impossible to look good in car mirrors though, way way way too much light in a small area.
Car mirrors aren't flat (they're actually convex on the outside)

They make your face look fat and magnify its flaws.

Edited by Spikey