Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaveM

Does caffeine affect acne?

Does caffeine affect acne?

I have heard it can but I really hope not because I am so addicted to it lol.

Anybody here avoid it?

i drink tons of green tea (which has caffeine although less than the amount in coffee) without any bad side effects, maybe just insomnia. i think it has helped to flush out tonxins and such.

i can't live without green tea.

green tea is not tasty if you drink it like me, which is really really thick and murky and works in a minute to make you instantly alert.

i recommend only drinking the leaves kind because the one in bags aren't strong enough to be beneficial. mainly, i drink it to sharpen my senses when i'm without sleep for days.

but it is tasty if you drink it like normally.

caffeine is meant to be bad for your liver if its not functioning properly , to what degree im not sure , so if you follow the clean liver = clear skin line of thinking - yes caffeine could be bad.

but who can say no to coffee ? not me rolleyes.gif

from www.chinesefood.about.com

To date, the only negative side effect reported from drinking green tea is insomnia due to the fact that it contains caffeine. However, green tea contains less caffeine than coffee: there are approximately thirty to sixty mg. of caffeine in six - eight ounces of tea, compared to over one-hundred mg. in eight ounces of coffee.

Yes, too much caffeine will aggravate acne. Caffeine in sufficient amounts will cause the release of corticosteroids and noradrenaline - both of these increase sebum production. I know that myself in particular, if I take an expresso that I'll notice a slight layer of oil on my forehead and nose.

I usually try to eliminate caffeine because it feels like borrowed energy - what I mean is that while you feel REALLY pepped up for an hour or so, you'll feel a lethargic afterwards. At least, thats how I react to it....of course I really abused stimulants in the past, sooo

funny because although coffee has more caffeine in it than green tea, it has never done anything for me. in fact i feel kind of weighted down with coffee.

both have never caused acne for me.

Funny enough my doctor told me that diet will have no affect on my acne, the only thing that could have an effect is too much caffine.

So im cutting down on my cups of tea:)

All tea has something that I believe is called tanner and tannen which is natural and is actually quite good for your body. In the summer its great to use iced tea as a subsitute for soda, I like to make sun tea.

funny because although coffee has more caffeine in it than green tea, it has never done anything for me. in fact i feel kind of weighted down with coffee.

both have never caused acne for me.

you probably have to be a caffeine junkie to break out really _badly_ from caffeine, but it does increase sebum production.  1 cup every 8 hours shouldn't do much.

what about decaf? I know , what's the point right. I just love the taste of coffee and can't imagine giving it up completely

you probably have to be a caffeine junkie to break out really _badly_ from caffeine, but it does increase sebum production.   1 cup every 8 hours shouldn't do much.

Hi, I'm GT and im a caffeholic rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I have about 3-6 cups a day <_<

Ty keats for that suggestion:), i live in the Uk so how could i get hold of some Rooibos Tea?

I agree that caffeine can aggravate acne. I get far more breakouts when I'm drinking alot more coffee (which normally also includes iced coffees and frappucinos throughout Summer). I've currently cut out all forms of caffeine from my diet including chocolate (excessive, I know!) for the next month just to test out whether it does actually make a difference.

Also if you do drink alot of coffees etc you should always follow with an extra glass of water as it's very dehydrating.

Will keep you updated..

Well, I haven't noticed anything from caffeine. I don't drink coffee or tea, but I do take caffeine pills sometimes. About 300-400 mg and that doesn't do anything to my skin.

I've been drinking about

3 cups of coffee a day

2-3 cups of tea a day

It doesn't effect my acne one bit...it's fine

I'm glad that its not affecting some of you. My point was that it can aggravate acne in _some_ individuals, because the fact of the matter is, caffeine is an agonist to corticosteroids and norepinephrine, both of which increase sebum production. No one is disputing this, right?

Does this mean that anyone that takes caffeine will break out profusely? NO. But it will make it worse in some individuals.

I do not drink any caffeine (only water, herbal tea, and white tea), but I still have moderate acne. Just throwing my thoughts out there that getting rid of caffeine won't get rid of acne.

what about decaf? I know , what's the point right. I just love the taste of coffee and can't imagine giving it up completely