Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone,

I'm not really sure if my problem is a type of rosacea or what, but I'll try and give a few more details and see if anyone can take a shot at what to do.

I'm 18, male and I've been on Accutane 3 times (currently about half done with the 3rd, I should say).

I've never had any raised, keliod (sp?) type scars, but I do get red marks very badly (in addition to the redness of my face). They tend to last a LONG time.

I'm decently active. I generally run about 2-3 miles an afternoon and always shower after.

I have tried over the years many lotions, creams, etc to help remedy the situation (for example: AHA, BHA, Witch Hazel, etc), Absolutely nothing works. Lotions ALWAYS make my face severely red. And yes I mean horrible sunburn red.

At current, my face never gets flakey or itchy. It's always just very red looking (people tell me it looks like a sunburn, rash, irritaton, etc). I should add this type of facial redness is in neither side of my family.

If there is anything else I need to answer or address, just let me know.

Any help is beyond appreciated.

Are you still taking Accutane? Do you have any flushing with the redness????? If it is just red then I would talk to your derm maybe lower your dose if your not willing to stop it and give it at least 6 months to see if gets better. If it doesn't get better and you have flushing also then I would read the Accutane flushing thread above.

I know you said lotions make it red like sunburn, but have you tried redness calming moisturizers. They don't take it away 100%, but do help a little.

Edited by oli girl

Are you still taking Accutane? Do you have any flushing with the redness????? If it is just red then I would talk to your derm maybe lower your dose if your not willing to stop it and give it at least 6 months to see if gets better. If it doesn't get better and you have flushing also then I would read the Accutane flushing thread above.

I know you said lotions make it red like sunburn, but have you tried redness calming moisturizers. They don't take it away 100%, but do help a little.

Oh, yeah, I know about that. I don't think it is that. I'm still on accutane, anyway.

The redness was there before and in between the dosages of accutane. I guess I should add, it has, at times, gone away to an extent, but when it has I don't know why (it couldn't logically be accutane, but who knows).

I should probably add too that my skin generally feels warm to hot most of the time. I don't know if this is a real contributor to anything (as I have read).

Edited by Kraft

Yea I have the same problem as you, and the worst part is I cant get a tan to save my life, so my face is always sunburt red looking and the rest of my body looks like glue, actually one of my nicknames in middle school, lol.

I dont run as much as you do, bad knees from basketball, but I do swim a lot... I'm currently using the clean and clear sensitive foaming cleanser, its keeping the breakouts to a minimum and has actually removed a lot of the blackheads from my nose. But has so far done nothing for the redness. I also tried the redness soothing one from neutrogena, but that one also did nothing for redness.

I think I'm past the point where I break out a lot, but I cant get rid of the redness or scarring, its so frustrating.

The only advice I can offer to you is to use a zinc oxide sunscreen when you go outside, and take fish oil pills and zinc pills too. I've found that it helps, the results are not instant or miraculous but any improvement is better than my skin getting worse. Also I dont know what you use to shave, but I've seen some improvement by switching to the gillete fusion 5 blade razor and using the gillete sensitive skin shaving gel...

you're not alone bro, make sure to post if you find something that works for you, so you can save me too :)

Why do people still do accutane? Didnt they get sued for a bunch of crazy stuff that happened to people? I would rather be covered in acne than be so sick that I could win a lawsuit against a major corporation, but thats just me...

Hey everyone,

I'm not really sure if my problem is a type of rosacea or what, but I'll try and give a few more details and see if anyone can take a shot at what to do.

I'm 18, male and I've been on Accutane 3 times (currently about half done with the 3rd, I should say).

I've never had any raised, keliod (sp?) type scars, but I do get red marks very badly (in addition to the redness of my face). They tend to last a LONG time.

I'm decently active. I generally run about 2-3 miles an afternoon and always shower after.

I have tried over the years many lotions, creams, etc to help remedy the situation (for example: AHA, BHA, Witch Hazel, etc), Absolutely nothing works. Lotions ALWAYS make my face severely red. And yes I mean horrible sunburn red.

At current, my face never gets flakey or itchy. It's always just very red looking (people tell me it looks like a sunburn, rash, irritaton, etc). I should add this type of facial redness is in neither side of my family.

If there is anything else I need to answer or address, just let me know.

Any help is beyond appreciated.

Companies like to put bullshit in their lotions like salysylic acid, AHA, alcohol, and other things that irritate the skin and turn the skin red like you describe. stay away from lotions that contain these things! acid BURN your skin causing it to turn red.