Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tom22

If you are considering accutane

Hello, my name is Tom. I just turned 17. I promised myself when i had acne that i would post my story if i was cured. So here it is:)

I began having acne when i was in the 7th grade, i was about 12. I tired everything from proactive to proscriptions from doctors and nothing really worked. I had few active pimples at once but i was plagued by red marks, it was terrible for me but probably good compared to some people. a little over a year ago i went to a dermatologist and was proscribed Accutane. My dermatologist told me it was the best and it had like a 90% chance to "cure" my acne. She told me it would take about 6-7 months, i thought i couldn't wait that long but it was REALLY worth it.

I went threw it all, the dry skin, chapped lips and getting my blood drawn every month. Once i finished my course i was acne free. I still had red marks left though, but i finished my course before summer so getting a tan helped that problem a lot.

Around the beginning of November i started breaking out, like a pimple a week. I thought it was due to the sweat from my football helmet. But after football season finished it got worse, i would get 2 or 3 pimples a week. I was fearing that my acne was coming back and i would have to take Accutane again. I went to see my dermatologist and she gave me some pills and facial cream. She told me to stay away from dairy. It didn't do much for about 2 months but after Christmas my breakouts were less often. Once it started warming up around late February i was completely clear again. I went back to my dermatologist and she told me it was probably because of the cold weather and stress of school and such. My skin is great now. I'm not trying to brag but before Accutane I was a really shy socially awkward kid and now I'm still a little shy but i have a beautiful girlfriend from a different school who is pretty much the hottest girl there and the hottest girl at my school trying to talk to me.;) But yeah, i am a Accutane success story.

Side effects i had on Accutane:

-Very chapped lips.-use Vaseline it works wonders

-Dry skin

-Dry eyes

-Back pain

-A little night blindness

- Some hair loss

Positive effects

-Social life back

-Good looking

-Girlfriend

- My hair is like healthier somehow haha

- No lasting side effects

I highly suggest taking Accutane. It is so worth it in the long run. Good luck to everybody:)

Edited by Tom22

great to hear man!!

I just finished my course and its been great so far...Did you use any topicals such as retin-a after you finished your course or no??

lol @ accutane getting you a girlfriend. You sound like THAT guy, "yeah I've got a hot girlfriend, she just goes to the school on the other side of the city, and I don't have any pics with me and she doesn't have facebook because she thinks it's lame."

I'm just messin with ya. I'm 7 years (almost 8) older than you, and I'd be lying if I said getting girls wasn't at least part of my motivation for taking accutane.

great to hear man!!

I just finished my course and its been great so far...Did you use any topicals such as retin-a after you finished your course or no??

Yes and no, my dermatologist gave me retin-a for scars and to keep the acne away but i rarely used it because i wanted to tan and not have dry skin.

lol @ accutane getting you a girlfriend. You sound like THAT guy, "yeah I've got a hot girlfriend, she just goes to the school on the other side of the city, and I don't have any pics with me and she doesn't have facebook because she thinks it's lame."

I'm just messin with ya. I'm 7 years (almost 8) older than you, and I'd be lying if I said getting girls wasn't at least part of my motivation for taking accutane.

ohhh I could get a girl before accutane, just none that were that attractive. I did it manly for the confidence so i could enjoy life again and not have any worries again. I shoulda said getting a very attractive girl* haha