Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bennyb

Hormonal Acne-Not cleared by diet

I have tried for the past year or so to clear my hormonal acne through diet and herbal remedies. It hasn't worked and if anything made my acne worse. I think I am going to ask my derm for spirolactone this week. What is your guys's take on the side-effects vs. the benefits, especially for men because i am a 19 yr. old male? I am asking this on nutrition forum because I believe that you guys have a better take on this type of stuff and you will be more skeptical and thus give me a better view on what I am getting myself into. Keep in mind that I really believe this will clear me, as all of my acne is hormonal left over after i finished accutane. Please let me know. Thanks.

That depends. What exactly was your diet like? What a lot of people consider "healthy" isn't really healthy at all.

Lots of people still consume processed whole grains, soy, processed meats and so on. They also aren't eating lots of leafy greens or veggies.

Usually, you can balance your hormones with a good enough diet.

I eat an avocado for breakfast, for lunch I eat a sandwich with ezekiel bread and antibiotic/hormone free turkey or ham, dinner antibiotic/hormone free chicken with turmeric, with each meal I have a big salad, I also only snack on avocados, cucumbers, celery, and other veggies dipped in hummus (the hummus doesn't contain soy). I also drink a lot of water. I do cardio every day. I don't see how I could still be breaking out. I also avoid all sugar because I am sensitive to insulin spikes which usually cause acne. As much as I hate going to the derm, accutane was the only thing that cleared me, even if it was only for a year. I am going to college next year and can't follow this strict of a diet anyway.

Edited by bennyb

Where are the greens? What about the spinach, kale, collards? They're more important than you think.

Maybe you have a problem with digesting protein. Have you considered low stomach acid or leaky gut? Eating healthy or not, these problems can still cause acne if you have them. Try taking some HCl tablets to see if it helps you.

(I freaking love avocados)

I eat romaine lettuce and mix kale and baby spinach in with each of my salads. I also tried taking HCL for 3 weeks and it not only didn't help my acne, it caused me to no longer be regular. It basically hurt my digestion. I had no digestion problems before anyway. My derm also has told me that my acne is hormonal and I had already come to that conclusion beforehand. I also love avocados.

Edited by bennyb

I eat romaine lettuce and mix kale and baby spinach in with each of my salads. I also tried taking HCL for 3 weeks and it not only didn't help my acne, it caused me to no longer be regular. It basically hurt my digestion. I had no digestion problems before anyway. My derm also has told me that my acne is hormonal and I had already come to that conclusion beforehand. I also love avocados.

If you are really considering spiro i would talk to BUKE here on the forums. He is a male that was on it for quite sometime and is now quitting because of the side effects. Here is the thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Quiting-S...52#entry2833952

I already spoke with Buke. He said that he doesn't reccomend it because of the effects that he xperienced, but if i really need to then I can do it. When I went on accutane many people on this site were telling me how dangerous and how many side-effects there are. And, yes it is dangerous, but the only side-effect I got was dry lips. It also cleared most of my acne, then this hormonal acne came back a year later. I am pretty confident that the spiro would clear my acne up for good. As much as I believe that the derms are just a middle man for the pharmaceutical companies, prescription medication is really the only thing that has ever worked. And I am so exhausted from this endless acne battle. 4 yrs. is long enough. I only worry about the feminizing qualities that the medication has.

Edited by bennyb

All of my acne is located on my chin and around my mouth. I get zero acne on my forehead and basically none on my cheeks.

All of my acne is located on my chin and around my mouth. I get zero acne on my forehead and basically none on my cheeks.

Give it more time :)

Same as me bro.

Yeah and I am pretty sure that that means its hormonal acne when its on your chin and around your mouth.

I'm with you. I feel like I've tried everything except the extremes - ive tried otc and prescription topicals, all sorts of diet and lifestyle changes, I eat 38749384759 vegetables a week, and while the forehead/ top half of my face is under control so long as I make healthy choices, the stuff around my mouth just will not go away. I give in. I went to the doctor and asked about spiro. My doctor made me take an antibiotoic first (just a few weeks) and when I go back she said she'll start me on the spiro (only 3 weeks away now!!)

I actually have been considering asking her about accutane instead. We already agreed on the spiro so I don't know what she'll say if I go in there requesting accutane instead.

I did a search on low and high potassium foods, cuz you gotta limit the potassium on spiro, and I realized the foods I eat regularly are all high in potassium. Fruits, vegetables, legumes/beans, nuts, eggs... I don't know what the hell i'd eat if I seriously had to limit those things.

My new wish is to do a course of accutane - mainly because its something you do for a few months and then are done with - and then if it doesn't work or the acne comes back start spiro, which you seemingly have to take forever.

I didn't have any problems with accutane. I had no IB even though people said they had them. The only thing is the acne tends to come back after a year. I really want to try spiro but as a guy it could be a problem.

I'm the same, it's frustrating. I rarely get acne on my forehead and cheeks now, probably due to some diet changes. However I still get alot of the acne and nose area :/ I was looking up Spiro and it says...

Due to its antiandrogen effect, it can also be used to treat hirsutism, and is a common component in hormone therapy for male-to-female transsexual and transgender people. It is also used for treating hair loss and acne in women, and can be used as a topical medication for treatment of male baldness.

It kinda scares me that it doesn't say for men and women.

Yeah it definitely has its positives and negative. But, there are no other androgen blockers that are as strong as this stuff and hormones are my problem right now.

Well if you do start taking Spiro, let me/us know how it goes please, I'm very interested. I'm not sure if you've tried vitamin b5 or not, but I've just started that. I'll let you know if I have any success.

Hmmm...well, hopefully you won't get tons of negative side affects from the stuff! I'm not sure what natural hormonal balancing methods/supplements there are, either.

Saw Palmetto is nowhere near as effective as spiro as an androgen blocker. So there's bascally no point in trying it. i am going to go to my derm this week and talk it over with her. Ill keep u guys updated.

Yeah and I am pretty sure that that means its hormonal acne when its on your chin and around your mouth.

No, it doesn't. Almost all of our acne is hormone related no matter where it is. Even when it's an allergic reaction, there's probably hormones involved as a study has shown a correlation between elevated androgens and histamines.

And have you considered other food intolerances? The cystic acne I used to get all along my jawline, which people like to say means 'it's hormonal' was an allergic reaction to citrus.

And what about sleep, exercise, sunlight, stress, digestion issues, etc?

Spiro's main use is for treating high blood pressure, btw, in men and women.

I sleep well, get plenty of exercise (especially cardio) because I break out from lifting due to testosterone (another signifier that my acne is due to hormones), I am not intolerant to any of the food I eat because I have cut each of them out for at least 3 weeks a piece to test for this, I also have zero digestive problems whatsoever. I also surf every day and always wear sunscreen, so I get plenty of sun. I just don't see it being anything else. I don't get that stressed either, and even when I do, I can't meditate or anything, I have tried it. Regardless, there is no way to completely remove stress from your life. Also, masturbation/sex always causes me to breakout. It shouldn't be that way.

Edited by bennyb