Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rugged Rat

HAIR LOSS on Accutane!

Hello,

I've been on Accuane now for 7 months. I still have acne but it's all under my skin and have been there for months.

Now, for around a week I have noticed that I loose hair much more than before. I feel like I loose hair all the time. I count the hair that fell in the morning and it's around 50, normally just around 10 when I have count them! And it continues through the day

I still have around 75 tablets left. Should I stop and have a break? I told thi my derm and dhe said that Accutane can do this and it will be back to normal when I get off tane, but I don't think this is true, wont I be bold by then? I'm 18 y/o female and I don't think this should happen.

If i stop what can I do to the acne I have left? I'm not clear yet, and I was supposed to be on tane for 5 more months.

Please help.

Personally, I'd continue until I noticed a change in my hairline or a bald spot. Hair loss is a common symptom and in most cases a reversible side effect. I don't have the exact numbers, but most people lose a good bit of hair throughout the day normally, so it may be that you are a little bit paranoid too and are just noticing your hair falling out more than normal.

I am seeing hair "loss" too. I am shedding quite a bit. I have stuck it out and will stick it out for my last two months. I don't have "bald spots", but my hiar is definitely thinner. I have very thick hair so a little thinning is not an issue for me. No one can predict who will have hair loss as a side effect or to what extent. It is one of the side effects and MOST people do have a reversal once they finish their course.

Heres an uptade

I still have the same problem and I think it has gotten worse! I loose 50-100+ hair on the morning. This is far from normal to me. It was usually 10-20 when i counted them at the beginning of my accutane course. I'm frightened that this wont stop when I stop taking accutane!

Should I stop accutane? And if I stop it, with what can I replace it? I'm 18, and when I asked about Spironolactone from my derm, she said I'm bit to young for that. But I've had 4 derms in my acne journey, they have all spoken loads of bs and should all go to hell.

Anyways, I still have the cysts under my skin and I don't know how to get rid of them.

Help, anyone?

so you are on your 8th or 9th month of accutane? that seems extreme. what is your dosage?

Yes, I'm on my 8, soon 9 month now. I started with 20mg, then 40mg(or 20 one day and 40 the next etc), but my acne got much worse and then we decited to keep it on 20 until february-present time, which is now again the 20/40mg a day.

You don't deserve to have hair if it's within your power to stop and you still continue. The sad part is you're a female, STOP.

You don't deserve to have hair if it's within your power to stop and you still continue. The sad part is you're a female, STOP.

hiya, thanks for putting it that way

Hello,

I've been on Accuane now for 7 months. I still have acne but it's all under my skin and have been there for months.

Now, for around a week I have noticed that I loose hair much more than before. I feel like I loose hair all the time. I count the hair that fell in the morning and it's around 50, normally just around 10 when I have count them! And it continues through the day

I still have around 75 tablets left. Should I stop and have a break? I told thi my derm and dhe said that Accutane can do this and it will be back to normal when I get off tane, but I don't think this is true, wont I be bold by then? I'm 18 y/o female and I don't think this should happen.

If i stop what can I do to the acne I have left? I'm not clear yet, and I was supposed to be on tane for 5 more months.

Please help.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it's been about 7 months since you've been on Accutane, and it has not worked for you. In this case, you should stop immediately. Your doctor may push you to continue, but your body has already signaled to you that Accutane just won't work.

In my case, I took it for about 6 months with some luck but not much. I became progressively sicker and remained sick for several years. My clear skin lasted for maybe 2 months after treatment, and then came back. However, I have to say for about 2 years, my acne wasn't as bad as pre-Accutane, but then my acne came back full force.

And the hair shedding during the actual treatment phase is normal, and in most cases your hair will return to the way it was pre-Accutane.

However, if you find your hair to still be thin a year or more post-Accutane, and you generally have a sick feeling, you need to do a colon cleanse. The reason for this is because there is still Accutane residue in your body, which is causing the continued symptoms that you may see while on Accutane. A colon cleanse will flush out all the junk.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it's been about 7 months since you've been on Accutane, and it has not worked for you. In this case, you should stop immediately. Your doctor may push you to continue, but your body has already signaled to you that Accutane just won't work.

In my case, I took it for about 6 months with some luck but not much. I became progressively sicker and remained sick for several years. My clear skin lasted for maybe 2 months after treatment, and then came back. However, I have to say for about 2 years, my acne wasn't as bad as pre-Accutane, but then my acne came back full force.

hi. No, I meant I'm still on Avvutane and i've been on it 8-9 months now. And for the last month now I've had hair loss. Thanks for sharing your experience. How are you doing now?

And the hair shedding during the actual treatment phase is normal, and in most cases your hair will return to the way it was pre-Accutane.

However, if you find your hair to still be thin a year or more post-Accutane, and you generally have a sick feeling, you need to do a colon cleanse. The reason for this is because there is still Accutane residue in your body, which is causing the continued symptoms that you may see while on Accutane. A colon cleanse will flush out all the junk.

Thaks for the new info!

Edited by Rugged Rat

hi. No, I meant I'm still on Avvutane and i've been on it 8-9 months now. And for the last month now I've had hair loss. Thanks for sharing your experience? How are you doing now?

Thaks for the new info!

From your original post it seems your skin is not perfect the way it should be from taking Accutane. You should stop Accutane immediately.

I have a feeling that the people, like me, who suffer from effects post-Accutane are the same people for whom Accutane did not work well. Even in my last week of taking Accutane, my skin wasn't completely clear and I had unusual symptoms.

My intention is not to be rude but if you're experiencing adverse effects stop. That's what I did when I start shedding, I can only imagine how much worse my hair would be had I continued.

My intention is not to be rude but if you're experiencing adverse effects stop. That's what I did when I start shedding, I can only imagine how much worse my hair would be had I continued.

It's okay lol. I'll have to stop then

thanks for your effort

I seen on youtube that jojoba oil mixed in with shampoo and massaged into your scalp helps with hair loss. Dont know if it works. Im just saying I seen it before and the girl that made the video said it works. Check it out.

As far as stopping the accutane....I mean.....thats up to you man. I personally wouldnt. You can always get hair implants or something if you go bald I guess. But the acne you cant fix. Stick with it

I seen on youtube that jojoba oil mixed in with shampoo and massaged into your scalp helps with hair loss. Dont know if it works. Im just saying I seen it before and the girl that made the video said it works. Check it out.

As far as stopping the accutane....I mean.....thats up to you man. I personally wouldnt. You can always get hair implants or something if you go bald I guess. But the acne you cant fix. Stick with it

I'm a girl and it would be terrible if I got bald..

I took it for 10 months on 30mg/day. I lost hair around my first month. However there was a period of time I didn't lose hair, 5th to 9th month. It could have been a mass gainer supplement I took or could be that I used a steroid inhaler for a month. I haven't used both and the hairloss has been back now after 5 months off 'tane.

So if any of you is interested that was my accidental "cure".

lol the primary reason I'm saying stop, hell if you were a guy I'd say stop. Acne vs. hair loss? Acne please.

You're not going to go bald. Women from what I have read have much more success getting their hair back to how it was prior to Accutane, but some men seem to suffer. A little hair loss shouldn't scare you away from taking it at this point.

Hi there,

I was never on Accutane but I experienced telogen effluvium (hair loss) this winter because I became extremely stressed and depressed over my acne/scars. Thankfully, my hair density seems to be back to normal after about 7-8 months. PLEASE, dont stress over the hair like me. DONT count the hair, you'll go even crazier like me and its not healthy. What you want to do is the following:

1) Dont brush hair while its wet. Even if its not falling out, you should never do this because your pulling on the roots. Just let it air dry and then brush it out

2) Take a B complex supplement. I'm not sure if you can while on Accutane, so ask your doc

3) Use a gentle shampoo, without sulfates. Try something called Organix, I found it in CVS

4) DONT STRESS. DONT COUNT. You might accelerate it if you do.

5) If the hair doesnt come back after stopping accutane, ask your doc for these tests: Vitamin b12, b6 and ferritin levels. Ferritin is verryy important for hair growth.

Trust me, hair grows. TE unfortunately may reveal female pattern baldness, but only if youre genetically predisposed.

This past year has been the worst experience of my life. I hope I can help someone out there rest assured because there arent many TE recovery stories.

Hi there,

I was never on Accutane but I experienced telogen effluvium (hair loss) this winter because I became extremely stressed and depressed over my acne/scars. Thankfully, my hair density seems to be back to normal after about 7-8 months. PLEASE, dont stress over the hair like me. DONT count the hair, you'll go even crazier like me and its not healthy. What you want to do is the following:

1) Dont brush hair while its wet. Even if its not falling out, you should never do this because your pulling on the roots. Just let it air dry and then brush it out

2) Take a B complex supplement. I'm not sure if you can while on Accutane, so ask your doc

3) Use a gentle shampoo, without sulfates. Try something called Organix, I found it in CVS

4) DONT STRESS. DONT COUNT. You might accelerate it if you do.

5) If the hair doesnt come back after stopping accutane, ask your doc for these tests: Vitamin b12, b6 and ferritin levels. Ferritin is verryy important for hair growth.

Trust me, hair grows. TE unfortunately may reveal female pattern baldness, but only if youre genetically predisposed.

This past year has been the worst experience of my life. I hope I can help someone out there rest assured because there arent many TE recovery stories.

I know the counting deal all too well. That's how I was while I was on Accutane and for about 4 years after stopping the drug. I was obsessed about my hair and would often examine my hairs in the shower.

The hair loss you are describing, however, is very different than what I and other people who took Accutane have experienced. The type of hair fallout and the change in hair texture is very different.

Lisa14- Thank You for this information, but Accutane TE or Alopecia is nothing like non accutane hairloss. I will say shortly after accutane I was defficent in Iron, thyroid out of wack etc etc.....Hoewever after getting all theese back to normal I did grow some of my hair back, but not all and the texture is way diffrent and I still go in cycles where my hair tends to fall out and grow back.

So beware Ladies if you are accutane and loosing hair I do suggest that you have hormones, iron, etc checked, but be warned it is not the cure all and you may get some back but it won't be the same. There are many stories on here of women and elesewhere some have devloped chronic TE or Alopecia the same as the men. However, women don't experince mpb like the men do from accutane.

Oh, and I would suggest trying some collegan or biotin it helped for me some too. Oh and I also want to add that Lamarr has it posted about a mixture he does for his accutane induced alopecia just look at his posts, it's similar to what realtalk mentioned about on the 1st pg.

Good Luck

Edited by oli girl

Lisa14- Thank You for this information, but Accutane TE or Alopecia is nothing like non accutane hairloss. I will say shortly after accutane I was defficent in Iron, thyroid out of wack etc etc.....Hoewever after getting all theese back to normal I did grow some of my hair back, but not all and the texture is way diffrent and I still go in cycles where my hair tends to fall out and grow back.

So beware Ladies if you are accutane and loosing hair I do suggest that you have hormones, iron, etc checked, but be warned it is not the cure all and you may get some back but it won't be the same. There are many stories on here of women and elesewhere some have devloped chronic TE or Alopecia the same as the men. However, women don't experince mpb like the men do from accutane.

Oh, and I would suggest trying some collegan or biotin it helped for me some too. Oh and I also want to add that Lamarr has it posted about a mixture he does for his accutane induced alopecia just look at his posts, it's similar to what realtalk mentioned about on the 1st pg.

Good Luck

Your very welcome. I wasnt aware they werent the same type of hair loss...thats very scary. I just saw your thread title and felt a huge need to tell others my experience. Hair loss was very traumatizing to me being a girl, even though my derm told me TE is supposed to be reversible. I cannot imagine having to deal with this again, let alone alopecia. I am very sorry for what any of you are going through..truly.

Honestly though, I am a better person because of it. I never judge anyone and ask myself "eww, why doesnt she ever brush her hair?". I looked like crap for a while because my hair just wouldnt cooperate. It was a traumatizing, yet humbling experience.