Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aboodykiss

WHEY PROTEIN

Hi guys, I have been working out in the gym for about 4 months now. I started the gym with light acne (the usual 1 or 2 pimples a week), then one of the guys I trained with recommended I should buy Whey protein... So I decided to buy it, I carried on using it for 3 months or so and started to realise my acne became severe (woke up with like 5 new pimples a day). I didnt know it was from the protein shakes so i carried on drinking. My dad then heard they make acne worse so one day i came back from the gym only to realise he threw out my tub of protein.. now its been 1 week and my acne is recovering very well. Like they say... milk makes you break out really bad, whey = cheese = dairy.

good luck guys

try stop using protein shakes for like 2 weeks and youll see what i mean.

First of all, if you bought whey protein concentrate, then you may break out. In other words, whey protein isolate is the one that you should have chosen.

Whey protein "isolate" is a big yes to me. :P It's working wonderful. Generally, I drink this 3 times a week with out any problems!

In addition to whey protein isolate, it's known to be safe, and it does not contain harmful ingredient that may break you out. Choose a good brand, and you'll be all set.

So, I think you're being a pessimistic. ^^

Edited by EddieE

If someone threw out my protein, I'd probably kill them.

I drink whey on and off all the time. It has never had any impact on my skin positive or negative. Just think, next you can buy some creatine and your dad will throw it away because he think it's steroids or that it will destroy your kidneys. Lulz.

If someone threw out my protein, I'd probably kill them.

I drink whey on and off all the time. It has never had any impact on my skin positive or negative. Just think, next you can buy some creatine and your dad will throw it away because he think it's steroids or that it will destroy your kidneys. Lulz.

Creatine is a big no no :P

I love my whey protein isolate from jayrobb.. I know that it's expensive.. but that's the only protein that I trust.

Yeah I drink protein shakes everyday. I eat meat, chicken, ham, cheese and eggs. All great protein sources and it has absolutely no effect on my skin whatsoever. I do Dan's regimen religiously and I get virtually no spots.

yeah I do fine with whey protein.... creatine on the other hand, not so much

Eh, I doubt creatine gives you acne, it's the most studied sports supplement in the world by a huuuugge margin and no research indicates it causes acne. Creatine has literally been studied to death.

What's more likely is you bought a creatine product loaded with sugar. Simple sugars are supposed to increase creatine uptake, which is why so many creatine supplements come like this. Simple sugars in high quantities will spike your blood sugars and are a much more likely culprit for acne.

yeah I do fine with whey protein.... creatine on the other hand, not so much

Eh, I doubt creatine gives you acne, it's the most studied sports supplement in the world by a huuuugge margin and no research indicates it causes acne. Creatine has literally been studied to death.

What's more likely is you bought a creatine product loaded with sugar. Simple sugars are supposed to increase creatine uptake, which is why so many creatine supplements come like this. Simple sugars in high quantities will spike your blood sugars and are a much more likely culprit for acne.

When I used to take creatine, even ones without sugar, I would always start to break out on my back a little bit, and I never have acne on my body normally. My face would stay the same, I broke out, but I dont attribute it to creatine, I would have broken out anyways. My whole experience with supplements over the years has been that for me they are really not necessary though. When I was competing in high school in weightlifting I was the strongest I'd ever been at a time I happened to not be taking any supplements. I just made up for it by eating extra food. Supplements can definitely be beneficial, but should only be taken if you have everything else in order (good training, good diet, adequate rest). I would also recommend those just starting out to NOT take any kind of supplement. When you first start lifting your body will gain a lot of strength and muscle quickly and you seriously won't need to take anything. The first year I started lifting, by the end of the year my bench was up 80 pounds. Only in my second year did I start with whey and then later creatine.

trueprotein.com

get milk protein isolate, its 80% casein 20% whey

Trueprotein.com is a good company.. I haven't tried their product yet... :P because nothing beats jayrobb. :P

Edited by EddieE

trueprotein.com

get milk protein isolate, its 80% casein 20% whey

Trueprotein.com is a good company.. I haven't tried their product yet... :P because nothing beats jayrobb. :P

Holy shit you can't seriously be spending that much money for protein powder? It's just protein powder, literally all of them do close to the same thing. Yes, there is a some variation in quality, but not enough to justify that kind of price.

For reference, I get mine from buybulkwhey.com . I got 44 pounds shipped to my house for around 200 bucks. Lasts me 7-8 months.

by the way guys i took nitro-tech if that helps, it has properties that spike insulin levels.

Nitro Tech is a blend of a bunch of different crap. It likely didn't break your skin out, but it's still overpriced hype. Any supplement from Muscletech (Iovate) is going to be a complete rip off.

What about an amino acid supplement? Cuz aint amino acids responsible for carrying protein to your muscles?the suplement that i am planing to use has alot of difrnt amino acids and 1000iu of vitC .Think its acne friendy? (and a stupid qeustion:amino acids wont change your bodys ph ?would it? Im just kinda confused by acids an bases and al that stuf)

i think its hard to pin point protein as being the problem, because working out weight lifiting increases testosterone anyway so how would you know?

i think creatine is person specific, i think it gives me bad cystic acne i remember how painful that was. and i think its because it steals water and holds it in the muscle. also puts strain on the liver, and bad liver can cause outbreaks

ive not tried protein isolate before, i use the natural reflex instant whey which also has a probiotic in it.

i think its hard to pin point protein as being the problem, because working out weight lifiting increases testosterone anyway so how would you know?

i think creatine is person specific, i think it gives me bad cystic acne i remember how painful that was. and i think its because it steals water and holds it in the muscle. also puts strain on the liver, and bad liver can cause outbreaks

ive not tried protein isolate before, i use the natural reflex instant whey which also has a probiotic in it.

Actually working out has a pretty minimal impact on overall test levels. Diet can impact your test; high fat diets being the ones that raise your test the most.

Creatine does volumize your muscle cells some by retaining a bit of water. Most people don't retain more than 5 pounds of water though, and it takes about a month of consistent dosing to get to that point. That isn't a lot of water compared to the overall amount of water consumed in a months time.

Creatine absolutely does not strain your liver. The only organ it may put any sort of stress on is your kidneys, and even then there's no evidence to suggest it causes any harm if you stay properly hydrated and don't have a pre-existing kidney problem.

Actually working out has a pretty minimal impact on overall test levels. Diet can impact your test; high fat diets being the ones that raise your test the most.

Creatine does volumize your muscle cells some by retaining a bit of water. Most people don't retain more than 5 pounds of water though, and it takes about a month of consistent dosing to get to that point. That isn't a lot of water compared to the overall amount of water consumed in a months time.

Creatine absolutely does not strain your liver. The only organ it may put any sort of stress on is your kidneys, and even then there's no evidence to suggest it causes any harm if you stay properly hydrated and don't have a pre-existing kidney problem.

ah yes i meant kidney not liver!

well all im saying is when i was on creatine my skin was shot to bits!

Just wanted to point out that there's research that creatine raises DHT levels, which would implicate it in acne, especially considering the hundreds of testimonials of creatine causing increased acne.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

RESULTS: After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001).

Just wanted to point out that there's research that creatine raises DHT levels, which would implicate it in acne, especially considering the hundreds of testimonials of creatine causing increased acne.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

RESULTS: After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001).

which must be why i broke out whilst on it! so glad i natrually stopped taking it.

my mate who takes like 5 different supplements is having problems with break outs. sometimes he has huge red zits and other times you would never no he had an issue

I started started a greens+ smoothie every morning, and noticed it made my skin worse. Surprise surprise, top ingrediant ... whey powder.