Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
laurenbee03

To accutane or to not accutane?!

About a year ago my acne was at it's worst.. really bad i'd do just about anything to get rid of it.. i begged my mom to let me go on accutane & she wouldn't let me because of all the side effects (suicide/bad thoughts mainly i was pretty depressed @ the time). When I went to the derm. i was so surprised he didn't even bring up accutane! About the same time my other friend also had acne it was no where near bad as mine (we both have PCOS=hormone problems=acne). She insisted to her doctor that she wouldn't leave without getting put on it, because her older brother had such good luck with it she thought her acne would be gone forever too. Well, after all said & done i'm glad i didn't go on it, eventhough i still understand why people do. my face is like 95% clear.. some spots sometimes but nothing big.. unfortunately, my friends face never stayed clear after being on accutane it looks about the same acne wise.. but almost like different skin.. her acne looks more like scabs now (brown, dark, and make up doesn't help) i feel so bad for her, espically sence she had to pay for it herself, her skin doesn't look really bad but still.. all that work. & she'd always tell us these stories like.. "i was walking out of the bank & my hand got caught on the door & my skin ripped opened & i was bleeding everywhere!".. poor thing. bottom line: it didn't help her.. it kept her skin the same?! but i guess everyones different it could work for some people & not work for others..

I chose not to go on accutane & i know i made the right choice for me. (this is just my opinion!)

What about yall? Accutane? Stories about accutane... please share!

I wont do it. My doctor mentioned it to me but Im not gonna risk the side effects. I dont want to trade one problem for another. My acne is not that bad. I usually have 2 or 3 active spots on my face and my back usually has a bunch with a lot of red marks. I have just accepted the fact that this is how it is and I just have to deal with it. Its kinda depressing, but once I came to that realization I havent been worrying about my skin so much. \This site has helped me to realize that it could be much worse (I know thats seems a little insensitive and Im sorry but its true) Hopefully Ill just grow out of it. Im 19 now so hopefully I only have 1 or 2 more years to deal with it.

I think its definatly the right thing to do i the spots bother someone so much like they do in my case :( i hate them so much and its taken my confidence i dont think any of the other tablets work well enough and if they do its only for a short time! Most of the bad side effects are really rare the common ones are just dry skin and lips which is nothing really its well worth it for clear skin im really happy to be on accutane at last my skins improving everyday, my mum also wunt let me go on it when i was younger but really wish she had because it would all be over with now lol! :) x

I think if you have got to the stage of considering taking it then you should.

I imagine you'll end up taking it further down the line any way. I found all other acne treatments pretty useless.

I've been on Accutane for a month and although my skin is actually worse now than before I started, at least I can see my skin reacting and I know it's going to get better, rather than smearing unaffective lotions over my face every day and taking antibiotics taht just never work.

I wish I'd done this about 3 years ago. I'm 23 now and wondering if my acne will ever go away. I don't want to take it assuming that my body is on the verge of getting rid of it naturally.

However, what if I'm wrong and I'm this for another 3-4 or more years? Honestly I'm strongly considering it even if my acne is not horrid. It's just been too long now and I'm tired. I want to see that person in the mirror I used to like. Acne has robbed me of so much.

I wish I'd done this about 3 years ago. I'm 23 now and wondering if my acne will ever go away. I don't want to take it assuming that my body is on the verge of getting rid of it naturally.

However, what if I'm wrong and I'm this for another 3-4 or more years? Honestly I'm strongly considering it even if my acne is not horrid. It's just been too long now and I'm tired. I want to see that person in the mirror I used to like. Acne has robbed me of so much.

Exsactly it could just carry on and on then before you know it you have wasted years when you could have done something about it i really really wish i had done it sooner i just kept thinking it would go away but never did it just got worse to the point have started gettin scars! Id say any one thinking about going on it should just go to dermatologist and see what they say because it might only take a small dose anyway then its all over with better than wasting time on crappy tablets that doctors try palmin ya off with!!

Exsactly it could just carry on and on then before you know it you have wasted years when you could have done something about it i really really wish i had done it sooner i just kept thinking it would go away but never did it just got worse to the point have started gettin scars! Id say any one thinking about going on it should just go to dermatologist and see what they say because it might only take a small dose anyway then its all over with better than wasting time on crappy tablets that doctors try palmin ya off with!!