Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vielleicht

Sea Buckthorn Oil.

Okay, so I've tried jojoba oil, & tea tree oil, and neither works for me.

I do also prefer these homeopathic/natural approaches rather than anything else.

[However, i've been using proactiv for the last 6 years, and it's just been getting worse lately].

I was watching Dr. Oz the other day, :P

And, he suggested sea buckthorn oil, for acne. I've tried looking for it, but I haven't found it in any holisitic stores.

Burdock root's another I heard about on tv, for the treatment of acne.

Has anyone ever tried either with any luck?

Edited by vielleicht

I took a lot of that stuff through a supplement called Omega 7. It didn't do much for me.

Oh really, it's sold that way?

I thought it was only sold in a topical form.

I took a lot of that stuff through a supplement called Omega 7. It didn't do much for me.

Oh really, it's sold that way?

I thought it was only sold in a topical form.

Yep, if you're interested:

Omega 7

Weleda makes a body oil which has sea buckthorn in it, if I remember correctly. I've used it, although not on my face. I thought it did help with some acne on my back. Smelled great, too. I would use it again if it were a little cheaper. I know there are some soaps out there, too -- Face Doctor, maybe? -- but I've never tried them.

Weleda makes a body oil which has sea buckthorn in it, if I remember correctly. I've used it, although not on my face. I thought it did help with some acne on my back. Smelled great, too. I would use it again if it were a little cheaper. I know there are some soaps out there, too -- Face Doctor, maybe? -- but I've never tried them.

I actually saw that at Target yesterday, but it had many other ingredients in it, and it said it was massaging oil.

idk, kinda scared to try it on my face now. :(

I'm pretty sure it's just sesame oil, sea buckthorn oil, and essential oils. You're right, it is a massage oil. I used as an all-over moisturizer bathing and loved how nice my skin felt afterwards. I didn't use it on my face, though come to think of it, I'm not sure why. I do regularly moisturize my face with oils (a mix of olive and castor) and they work well for me. I would definitely use the Weleda oil again except that the other oils I use are so much cheaper.

Sorry not to be more help. I remember researching the Face Doctor soaps a while ago and they got very good reviews. I just don't like soap, so I decided not to use them.

Those oils you tried wont work just on their own. I had real good results with a blend of oils from Young Living. They are called Essential Beauty Serums and are specially formulated for dry, oily, or acne-prone skin. The serums offer the skin care benefits of pure essential oils to protect, strengthen, and improve the appearance of the skin. Each serum also utilizes a proprietary blend of skin-nourishing carrier oils such as coconut, avocado, jojoba, rosehip seed, and wolfberry seed for ease in application and absorption and to protect the skin without over drying or clogging pores.

This is what's in the acne prone one:

Eucalyptus Staigeriana† Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia† (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Cedrus Atlantica (Cedarwood)† Bark Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Rosa Rubiginosa (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Leptospermum Scoparium† (Manuka) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Lycium Barbarum (Wolfberry) Seed Oil, and Thymus Vulgaris† (Thyme) Oil

These work cuz they have a real high antimicrobial and antibacterial property. I hope it works for you. I get it at www.youngliving.org/mbstarr

I heard about Sea Buckthorn Oil on the Dr. Oz show too! LOL. The reason I came on here today was to see if anyone else has used it for acne before...

I'm looking up SBO online right now and it's surprisingly difficult to find...

Apparently there is Seed Oil and Fruit Oil of Sea Buckthorn Oil. Hm.

This site was interesting: http://seabuckthorn.com/acne.htm . What do you think? I really want to try buying some SBT oil (prolly not their whole acne regimen).

i've tried it. made my breakout. it makes your skin really smooth, but its also really oilly and made me break out even more. great for fading marks after you get rid of your acne, not during.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and after a few years of being acne free I'm once again facing the battle. However, this time around I'm going the holistic route...although it's required some patience I am making strides.

- probiotics in the AM before breakfast

- Vitamins A, E, C, Zinc & Evening Primrose Oil in the evening after dinner.

- AM...wash face with Sulfur soap bar (found @ whole foods) dab problem areas with tea tree oil, light moisturizer for acne prone skin

- PM... wash face with Sulfur soap bar, dab tea tree oil, let dry then with cotton ball massage Sea Buckthorn all over my face and neck. Sea Buckthorn has made an unbelievable difference in a short amount of time.

I'm working hard ensuring that I'm only putting good foods that are high in fiber, proteins, and omegas.

I hope that what I've shared helps you and if you have any suggestions for me....please share.

Thank you!

I have actually used Sea Buckthorn Berry oil mixed with Neem Seed oil. I put first a couple drops of Sea Buckthorn oil in my hand and then put a couple drops of Neem seed oil on top of it and mixed them in my hand right before application...I put it on any active acne on my face at night time. It incrementally helped to heal any active acne on the face and made it smaller each day. I had put it on each day in the evening. In my experience it did not cause me breakouts.

lol who the hell is this doctor Oz?

I suspect he has a cult following.

One day at work someone came in set on buying some weird herb tincture this 'dr oz' had just raved about on tv. Then, like 20 minutes after that customer, ANOTHER one showed up asking for this same tincture because doctor oz said to try it... he must be a convincing man.

I've read that Sea Buckthorn is supposed to be good for "demodex", those little mites that live in people's skin... some believe it contributes to acne.

I have the oil, and didn't notice any major effects. Unfortunately, I think it gets a fishy smell to it unless you're really careful about where you store it. I'd rather deal with the stinky garlic smell of Neem than fish smell. I tried the supplements, but didn't see any effect. I have SIBU brand oil in a 10ml bottle. I tried their soap, but it's way too gloppy. I like Aubrey Organics sea buckthorn soap-- it smells good and has a more solid consistancy-- I use it more for my body though, not my face. I don't have acne problems on my back (and I have in the past), so I guess it can't hurt if you're acne prone. Makes my skin soft, and I haven't had any problems with dry body skin lately. Incidentally, if you're a guy, the sea buckthorn soap I mentioned has a nice smell that's not excessively feminine. It probably keeps the skin soft, and it probably doesn't contribute to break outs, but I don't think it "cures" acne.

I've been trying Manuka oil lately, haven't been on it long enough to be able to report anything, but it's not as irritating to my skin as Tea Tree oil (and the properties are supposed to be the same). I think Dr. Oz suggested Manuka oil for acne as well. I'm not a follower by any means, but since several sources on the internet suggested it as a good alternative to Tea Tree, I decided I'd order it.

It's annoying how some oils are hard to get in the US. I think Manuka and Sea Buckthorn are more available in Europe. I know the Manuka oil I got was from a New Zealand distributor. I think what sold me to try Manuka is that it's supposed to be effective against MRSA and drug-resistant infections in general. I've been on every acne drug treatment under the sun, including accutane, with no real lasting benefits. I'm getting older, and it seems that any treatment that is drying to my skin makes it 10X worse acne-wise. Hopefully I will find a good oil combination that will help. Neem oil seems really good for infected, painful acne. Helps deaden the irritation. However, the smell makes it hard to use consistantly, since I don't want to offend people out in public. Tamanu seems good for scarring, I can't honestly say it keeps me from breaking out.

Sorry this isn't actually related to the sea buckthorn oil but my neem oil doesn't smell at all. However, I have it in a shampoo form so who knows what else is in it. Tea tree oil is definitely one of the strongest smelling things I ever use. Apple cider vinegar takes second place. I think I'm immune to tea tree oil since I've been using it for so long. As a side note neem works very good for infections of the scalp (probably dandruff). I've never used it anywhere else, though.

I agree that Dr Oz spews out a lot of stuff that contradicts itself. He's really a surgeon and probably just gets information about herbs and stuff 10 minutes before the show because people like holistic approaches to things. It also annoys me to watch the show sometimes just because of the way he always recommends eating. "whole grains, cut saturated fat, cut calories" etc.

lol who the hell is this doctor Oz?

He's a heart surgeon with a TV show and before he got that, he was a frequent guest on Oprah. And has a series of books that are just as goofy as the show.

I don't mind the show because at least he talks a lot about the role of nutrition in health conditions and nutrients that help heal those conditions. And every now and then, some little bit of info appears that useful to me. Of course, I have to look it up on my own, because he didn't elaborate.

It's just that the show is full of goofy games and segments in which the info is so superficially covered that it's at best unhelpful and at worst confusing. And he frequently makes contradictory recommendations. And the books are the same way. Some years ago he made some specials with the BBC and Discovery channel that weren't that bad.

Also, twice I've seen an audience member ask him about acne and he responded with something vague about diet. Of course, in addition to being superficial he said something different about diet each time: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Admitting...30#entry2817730

Edited by alternativista

does the seabuckthorn oil have to be stored in ther refrigerator?

I don't store mine in the refrigerator. But then again I've only started using it a few days ago. The info on my bottle (Sibu) states to store it in room temp.

I heard about Sea Buckthorn Oil on the Dr. Oz show too! LOL. The reason I came on here today was to see if anyone else has used it for acne before...

This site was interesting: . What do you think? I really want to try buying some SBT oil (prolly not their whole acne regimen).

I bought the SBT Seabuckthorn Fruit Oil in a Health Food store so if you can't find it in one I suggest you buy it from that site :) I haven't been using it for very long but I do find my skin is more moisturized and even...I can see some of the acne healing. Then again you can only use it at night because this oil is highly pigmented so your face is going to be orange ahaha but when I wake up in the morning its completely absorbed in my skin and the orange is gone. Is also not oily at all which is good since I have very oily skin. I'm going to get the capsules as well because I'd probably see faster results if I use it orally and topically. Hmmm what would be the difference between the seed and fruit oil does anyone know??

This site was interesting: . What do you think? I really want to try buying some SBT oil (prolly not their whole acne regimen).

I bought the SBT Seabuckthorn Fruit Oil in a Health Food store so if you can't find it in one I suggest you buy it from that site :) I haven't been using it for very long but I do find my skin is more moisturized and even...I can see some of the acne healing. Then again you can only use it at night because this oil is highly pigmented so your face is going to be orange ahaha but when I wake up in the morning its completely absorbed in my skin and the orange is gone. Is also not oily at all which is good since I have very oily skin. I'm going to get the capsules as well because I'd probably see faster results if I use it orally and topically. Hmmm what would be the difference between the seed and fruit oil does anyone know??

I believe the seed oil is more potent. The seed oil is also orange but I find that I can use it during the day so perhaps it's less orange than the fruit oil. But I have never tried the fruit oil so I can't compare. :)

If you are buying the organic pure form of it, I would store the Sea Buckthorn oil in the refrigerator just to be safe.

If you want to try the Sea Buckthorn oil for acne, know that it will not cure overnight. Be sure to put a small towel over your pillow and change to a new towel everyday (easier than having to change the pillow case) It seems to take a while if it does anything at all. But, it at least will be nourishing to your skin unlike other harsh acne treatments that in the long run will probably cause everyone to get dry skin and wrinkles faster in the future. So if it doesn't stop all acne the Sea Buckthorn oil at least will help in the health of your skin in the long run.

Edited by I~Hate~Acne

If you are buying the organic pure form of it, I would store the Sea Buckthorn oil in the refrigerator just to be safe.

If you want to try the Sea Buckthorn oil for acne, know that it will not cure overnight. Be sure to put a small towel over your pillow and change to a new towel everyday (easier than having to change the pillow case) It seems to take a while if it does anything at all. But, it at least will be nourishing to your skin unlike other harsh acne treatments that in the long run will probably cause everyone to get dry skin and wrinkles faster in the future. So if it doesn't stop all acne the Sea Buckthorn oil at least will help in the health of your skin in the long run.

ethicalcare.com.au I LOVE SEA BUCKTHORN OIL :D clears my rosacea not so much my acne though :( lol