Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcnePwns

Lumps after subcision

I had subcision and VBeam done 6 WEEKS ago and there is one area that still has a firm lump. Will it go away with time? and how long?

Edited by AcnePwns

Im not sure if the lump is scar tissue? You should see your doctor and ask. If it is scar tissue massage tends to help. Apart from that time heals all wounds ;) lol

]

Sorry that was a typo. I mean 6 weeks.

hey acnepawn, gosh i been away from this site for a week or 2, kinda liked being away.

anyway, you still have lumps?

i think you shouldn't worry, as long as the lumps don't become visible.

Lumps from subcision are common, most go away, but sometimes nodules can persist.

again, they are not harmful as long as they don't become visible lumps. other than that, just thickness of your skin that you gotta get used to.

it sucks I know, no procedure is without complications, I guess you gotta deal with some lumps under your skin to have an outer appearance of smoothness.

it will get better with time, give it another month or 2.

hey acnepawn, gosh i been away from this site for a week or 2, kinda liked being away.

Lumps from subcision are common, most go away, but sometimes nodules can persist.

again, they are not harmful as long as they don't become visible lumps. other than that, just thickness of your skin that you gotta get used to.

it sucks I know, no procedure is without complications, I guess you gotta deal with some lumps under your skin to have an outer appearance of smoothness.

There is really only one lump that is bothering me. It is quite wide and has not subsided as much as the others. I also have 2 lumps at an area that was not subcised but was treated with the vbeam. I don't mind waiting for the lumps to go down but I don't want to have to wait for years. Hopefully within a few months it will go down.

Did you get your laser treatment done? Im not sure if you are on spring break yet

I had subcision and VBeam done 6 WEEKS ago and there is one area that still has a firm lump. Will it go away with time? and how long?

Was the subcision worth it. Hows your results?

There is really only one lump that is bothering me. It is quite wide and has not subsided as much as the others. I also have 2 lumps at an area that was not subcised but was treated with the vbeam. I don't mind waiting for the lumps to go down but I don't want to have to wait for years. Hopefully within a few months it will go down.

Did you get your laser treatment done? Im not sure if you are on spring break yet

Hey, just give it another month. If it doesn't feel better, and still bugs you, have your doctor inject some mild cortisone.

as far as my laser treatment goes, I decided not to do it. After doing lots of research, I don't believe Fraxel or Lumenis have the patients best interest at heart. Frankly I think they don't give a shit about the patient. YOu learn a lot about company ethnics, morals, and politics by doing some simple research.

This is not to say I won't ever do it. I mean sometimes I do shit out of desperation.

At this time, no co2 on my face. Not until these companies realize that a patient has a right to be informed.

Anyways, good luck, I think your swelling will feel better in a month, I hope.

Well you probably saved a load of money that can be used towards potentially better treatments in the future... all we can do now is hope for a brighter future

It will go in sometime. In my case it took 2~3 months..

Thanks for the response.. hopefully in a month or two it will be completely gone or at least close to it

Was the subcision worth it. Hows your results?

I would say yes. One scar on my forehead appears as if it completely disappeared while a few others are slightly improved. It really depends on the type of scars your have.

i have large rolling lumps 2 years post-procedure after having had subcision with filler. a prior subcision without filler went well but now i'm finally looking into reversing the overcorrection from the second. both were done by very experienced derms. please be careful kiddies. :)

I had subcision done on both cheeks Dec. 28th 2010 and after all the swelling and most of the bruising went away I am now left with raised nodules on all the areas the doctor worked on. I am quite disappointed as my doctor never informed me the procedure might leave behind these noticable raised bumps. Now instead of acne scars, I look like I have cysts growing under my skin. If I had known, I probably would've held off on doing the procedure. I am disappointed and will be seeking a second opinion to see if anything can be done to alleviate some of these hard, raised lumps.

I just read a doctor's response to someone who had the same problem with subcision lumps and he said "sometimes 5-FU injection can reduce the bump." Does anyone know about or have experience with this injection?

I would ask the doctor about 5-FU injection...you definitely don't what to go the Kenalog injection route because the purpose of this procedure was the get rid of the shallow scars, right?

I would ask the doctor about 5-FU injection...you definitely don't what to go the Kenalog injection route because the purpose of this procedure was the get rid of the shallow scars, right?

Yes, most were shallow and a few deeper dents on my upper cheeks. None were icepick. He said they were boxcar scars.

What is the Kenalog injection?

I was reading up on 5-FU and it is a chemotherapy drug for cancer patients which blocks dna replication. Although I realize it will be very small quantities, I'm not sure I want something like that shot into my face.

I had subcision done on both cheeks Dec. 28th 2010 and after all the swelling and most of the bruising went away I am now left with raised nodules on all the areas the doctor worked on. I am quite disappointed as my doctor never informed me the procedure might leave behind these noticable raised bumps. Now instead of acne scars, I look like I have cysts growing under my skin. If I had known, I probably would've held off on doing the procedure. I am disappointed and will be seeking a second opinion to see if anything can be done to alleviate some of these hard, raised lumps.

Oops...it was Dec. 24th, actually.

Yes, most were shallow and a few deeper dents on my upper cheeks. None were icepick. He said they were boxcar scars.

I was reading up on 5-FU and it is a chemotherapy drug for cancer patients which blocks dna replication. Although I realize it will be very small quantities, I'm not sure I want something like that shot into my face.

Steroid injection..it is potent and can eat away tissue and fat.

Steroid injection..it is potent and can eat away tissue and fat.

Well, the problem with acne itself and many of the treatments available is that they always do a number on the skin's collagen and fat. That's why most acne sufferers then have premature aging to deal with. Horrible.

:boohoo:

I don't think you should do any injections until you have given it 6 months. During this time put some silicone strips on it at night, it could help flatten it. Do you think aesthetically a bump looks worse than a dent? I guess it would depend on how big the bump really is. I think I would take a small lump over a big dent.

Boxcar scars are not amenable to subcision. It's for rolling/saucer scars that have no firm indented borders, but rather scar tissue underneath that are tethered, holding the scar down. Using the needle breaks these tethers, raising the scars. New collagen is not really produced in subcision. It is most likely swelling. Although a bit of collagen *may* be produced, but again, that's not the goal of subcision. The goal is to release bound down scarring - this is what causes the scars to lift to the surrounding skin. Boxcars are have rough and deep borders that won't respond to subcision.

^^^ Is this totally correct? I'm sure some respond better than others, but wondering if harsh edges still couldn't get improvement. I have some wide scars with harsh edges, I have thought about having subcision on. One is really wide, almost like the width of a nickel, and deep enough to notice, but smooth looking in the middles, just the edges create the shadowing. I have wondered if I should try a TCA peel to smooth out the edges, but I'm apprehensive about doing it at home to myself.

Another thing I am worried is I just have fat loss in the middle, and perhaps nothing but permanent fillers or stem cells from fat would help with. I've had two round of silicone of similar type scars with little results, and too paranoid to go back for more with all the negative history on silicone. I will probably just live with them until something safer and more permanent comes around

Edited by tricia

Well I have one remaining lump on my right jawline that hasnt gone away since I had my last subcision in May last year. It's quite wide and firm. I tried massaging it the last month but it hasnt done much.

Im thinking of asking my doctor to give me a cortisone shot there when i have my final subcision this May. Do you guys think this is a good idea or will it just cause more complications?

Let me just ask those of you who've had subcision done (& who would recommend your doctor): who was your doctor & where is he/she located? It's so damn hard to find someone to do it.