Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tree23

Do any other animals get acne?

is acne a problem unique to us humans?

I think the answer is yes.. but I just realized that is an assumption and not something I actually know. Anyone ever seen/heard of another animal getting a zit!?!

My uncle's dog has a strange skin condition, where the skin on her body is always in a dandruff-like flaking state. Sometimes if she scratches or rubs it on something, they turn into open wounds. He's taken her to vets, and tried many different dog shampoos, but can't get rid of it. My dog also got this odd cyst on the bottom side of his jaw. The vet said it was harmless, but he's had it for over a year now, and may always have it.

One of my cats actually had a bout of acne a few years ago. It wasn't very bad, and it eventually went away.

However, humans are more likely to get it because our diets are worse and more varied, our stress is generally higher, therefore our hormones are more likely to be screwed up. It probably has something else to do with how chemical makeup as well.

In the wild humans don't get acne, so compared to other animals in the wild we are the same.

In the wild humans don't get acne, so compared to other animals in the wild we are the same.

Proof humans don't get acne in the wild?

Cordain L, Lindeberg S, Hurtado M, Hill K, Eaton SB, Brand-Miller J. Acne vulgaris: A disease of western civilization. Arch Dermatol 2002; 138:1584-90

(http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%20vulgaris.pdf)

2 isolated human groups were examined and neither had acne. With this you can say acne is not a natural human condition.

Cordain L, Lindeberg S, Hurtado M, Hill K, Eaton SB, Brand-Miller J. Acne vulgaris: A disease of western civilization. Arch Dermatol 2002; 138:1584-90

2 isolated human groups were examined and neither had acne. With this you can say acne is not a natural human condition.

Yep. Which is why acne was never recorded in history until about the late 19th century (AKA Industrial Revolution).

Yep. Which is why acne was never recorded in history until about the late 19th century (AKA Industrial Revolution).

Can anyone ever cite anything besides Cordain and the few cultures he picks and chooses? And I don't think two groups is enough. We know acne is genetically influenced and those groups may not have been genetically predisposed to acne.

And if acne wasn't recorded until the late 19th century, that would contradict Cordain who believes grains and agriculture were the root of all evil. But, don't worry, since it's not true. Supposedly, they had acne in ancient Egypt.

My uncle's dog has a strange skin condition, where the skin on her body is always in a dandruff-like flaking state. Sometimes if she scratches or rubs it on something, they turn into open wounds. He's taken her to vets, and tried many different dog shampoos, but can't get rid of it. My dog also got this odd cyst on the bottom side of his jaw. The vet said it was harmless, but he's had it for over a year now, and may always have it.

I think his dog must have the dog disease "mange." It gets worse and worse if it is not stopped. :(. I hope he finds something that helps it.

Edited by Dotty1

Can anyone ever cite anything besides Cordain and the few cultures he picks and chooses? And I don't think two groups is enough. We know acne is genetically influenced and those groups may not have been genetically predisposed to acne.

And if acne wasn't recorded until the late 19th century, that would contradict Cordain who believes grains and agriculture were the root of all evil. But, don't worry, since it's not true. Supposedly, they had acne in ancient Egypt.

I can definitely agree with this.

I've taken several latin courses in which we also learned about ancient Rome and mythology. We were actually taught that the Romans used sulfur baths as a treatment for acne. I'm pretty sure the Roman Empire dates back way before the 19th century.

I've also heard numerous things about there being acne in ancient Egypt, where they used things like moist strawberry leaves.