Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dbadba

Following Accutane with Dermasanding

Hello,

First time poster looking for any advice, experience or knowledge about dermasanding. I searched the forums but couldn't find any posts that really pertained to my situation. I just have a few questions and would be grateful if anyone, with dermasanding experience, could comment on them.

I had bad acne, which I was prescribed Accutane for. The Accutane worked great and I came off my cycle last August. I haven't had any breakouts at all since then so I'm very happy in that regard. The only problem now is the scarring that my zits have left behind. I recently had a follow-up appointment with my dermatologist and he suggested I do dermasanding, which is sort of similar to dermabrasion. A few questions I have:

What is the procedure like?

What is the recovery period like? (Couldn't find much info online regarding how long it took for people to fully heal. I go to school and work full-time so I'm constantly out and about.)

What were your results?

Is it worth $400?

Again, thanks to anyone who can help.

I assume it's similar to dermabrasion... But maybe they use one of those things that's like a small sand blaster or something, I'm not sure. I had dermabrasion done. It didn't do much. It depends on the severity and your skin as far as healing and all that. Whatever they tell you, it will probably take twice that long for it to go away. But it depends how deep they go and everything. Most of the time it's going to take more than one procedure to get big results.

Dermasanding is basically a procedure where the surgeon/dermatologist abrades your skin with sandpaper. It's pretty much a "manual dermabrasion" type of procedure. It is more controlled than the conventional dermabrasion where a mechanical fraise or wheel is used.

The results from dermasanding are comparable with that of dermabrasion. Depending on the size of the area sanded and the grit used, dermasanding normally takes longer but can reach a similar depth to that achieved by the mechanical devices.

The recovery period is the same, 7-10 days for the crusts to come off from a deeper sanding and 5 for lighter.

Redness normally persists for three months or so, once again depending on how aggressive the treatment was.