Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazytulip

I'm 25, and my acne is worse than ever :(

Hello all,

I've always had some pimples, here and there, but as I get older, (I'm 25 now) I seem to be getting MORE acne than ever :( And it is not just the little pimples that can easily be covered by makeup, these are the really big and painful kind! Anyone else having this same problem? I wouldn't be so upset, but I am the very self consious type, so needless to say, the acne ruins my whole day or even week... please help, give me some encouragement...

Thanks, Leah

Hey..I feel your pain. I am 25 also, Ive always had mild acne, but I broke out really bad couple months ago, this time full of nodules (which I HATE). Went to the derm for the first time and he put me on Doxy and Retin A....My intial breakout wasnt that bad, maybe 2 nodules. But um, it was Ok..I went back for my one month check up, and mentioned that I was going to attend my husbands OCS formal. He switched me to Minocycline and said this might be better. Now Iam absolutely clear, well I haven't had any pimples, nodules or cyst since my intial break out. Iam still recovering from the horrible redmarks. I wish I would of went to the derm just a month before because I wouldnt be suffering as much. My suggestion is to go to the derm and try some antibiotics. I also suggest Retin A. So far, its going good, but Iam going to continue to use it due to its wrinkle benefits as well. Now looking back, I should of started antibiotics a long time ago, even if I had mild acne, because my face has many icepicks scars.

Im a 26 year old male and a few months ago my acne came at me with a vengenance! My forehead absoultely looked horrible, that I always wore a hat and I never went out in public. I have been struggling with acne since I was 13 and I usually I would have a few good weeks and then a really bad week. Then in my early 20's it really go worse and I was on antibiotics and retin A. For some reason when I was 25, my acne was a lot better and I rarely got a zit, so I actually stopped taking my meds because I thought I finally out grew the acne. After a few months of acne free and no meds, the acne came back worse than before and my self-esteem was horrible. I would never go out, I would tell all my friends lies on why I couldnt see them, it was very depressing for me. I went back to the dermatologist and went back on minocycline and retin-A and sure enought in a couple months my acne became under control for the most part with some small outbreaks here and there. So I would say go to a dermatologist and tell them what you are going through and how it effects your self-esteem. The dermatologist is there for you and will do everything in their power to help you feel like you again. Im not going to lie, its a long process and things wont happen in a day, but you have to hang in there. Its kind of like 2 steps forwards and one step back, but know that you are not alone in this and that a lot of people are in your shoes.

i'm 30. for me, it's stress related.

differin is working wonders on my face.

neutrogena on the spot acne treatment is very gentle and effective, unscented.

neutrogena or nivea for men face washes are very good. the scented ones work better for me than the sensitive skin products, which is surprising b/c i've always thought fragrance was to blame for breakouts. use the tips of your fingers and hardly touch your skin. 30 seconds, rinse, pat dry.

i try to keep the shower water luke warm.

i drink tons of water. TONS!

i think you should go on accutane if you never went on it. I heard that people that go on accutane usually dont ever break out bad again. Its the closest thing to a cure i guess. There are side effects but if your careful it might be perfect for you.

I've had my worst ever break-out last year aged 30!. It stretched from the hairline on the back of the neck, to halfway down my spine, and it appeared literally over night. Prior to that i was about 99% clear.

I'm fairly sure it was stress related.

I have zero active spots now, but 14 months later i still have a few, faded, residual red marks from that biblical-sized break-out.

I wonder wats with d age 25??!! i just turned 25 this month and a month ago I had d worstttttttt breakout ever!!! i never really had clear skin...always small bumps and blackheads that wud go away with medication or a facial... but this time it was like terrible cystic and pus filled acne that just wudnt go away:( they were so red and painful..made me feel like a freak!! after 2 months of struggle im finally gettin clear :D well i hope no1 has 2 undergo wat i went thru...i literally had suicidal thoughts!!

well i wanna put it all behind me now as a bad dream..hope so you too achieve clear skin fast:)

I know you're feeling 100% better already, but if it makes you feel even better I'm 25 also and my acne hasn't gotten any better than when I was 15. In fact my acne was at its worst when I was 22 and I'd gone on accutane on two different occasions with little to no success.

I have been using Carley's Clear and Smooth for about a month now, and to nobody's surprise acne has just gotten worse.

I try to stay positive most of the time - it's not easy but what else can I do? stress only causes more acne, anyway.

yes STRESS definitely makes my acne worse, so we all need to be positive and not worry so much about it, but easier said than done... :\

HI

I just got back from my derm literally an hour ago, armed with perscriptions for oratane and a goodies bag. i am 27 and have had severe cystic acne for almost 10 years now and was too scared to do anything medical about it. i have bad scarring on my face and now try to avoid cameras at all costs, my partner and i have been together 8 years and he has never seen me without makeup.

my doctor has perscibed me oratane 20mg with a check up in 3 months, he also advised of the various side effects and horrible things that may happen. the way i see it now i have felt like crap for 10 years and hate looking at my face so im willing to try the medications and maybe even get optimistic about it.

I would advise taking the step to see a medical professional, it took me years and i wish i did it sooner. i am so embarrased of my face and it wasnt until i noticed how bad my scarring was underneath make up i decided i needed to do something now.

i hope it all goes well for you, this is the first time i have seen this website but i imagine i will check it alot now. goodluck :)

Wow, I wonder what happens between age 25-30 that makes acne all of a sudden appear. I started getting pimples here and there in my early 20's and then at age 26... BAM! In 2 months, my face went from 1 or 2 pimples to huge cysts all along my jawline and lower cheeks. I no kidding looked like I had been stung by bees and had a severe allergic reaction. So the derm put me on tretinoin, Duac and Yaz bc and 3 months later, the cysts are all gone, I still get a few manageable breakouts here are there, but now I have red marks and scars. :(

lazytulip, please do whatever it takes to get clear. I thought maybe the acne would go away on its own, but it just got worse and worse and I think I could have avoided alot of this scarring and redness if I had gone to the derm sooner instead of trying the usual otc acne products.

Edited by Jane_Eyre

Another here. 26 year old male. Ance also started getting even worse a year or so, finally said enough is enough and began accutane a month ago.

So far, so good! (fingers crossed)

At this second in time, im totally regretting not going on it years ago.

Good luck

25yo Male. acne victim for 8 freaking yrs. started off slowly and skyrocketed 3 yrs ago. was ignorant at first but got re-educated quickly. been through SA, Proactiv, BP, differin, tea tree oil. differin cleared me but i couldnt get it for a while and then it had no effect later on. on Retin A now. improvement is painfully slow but its what i will take for now.

keep working on it.

Hi,

You might also investigate the hormonal acne message boards and look into peoples posts about spironolactone- if your symptoms match others who were prescribed the medication it may be an option to explore for you as well... Best of luck!

i think you should go on accutane if you never went on it. I heard that people that go on accutane usually dont ever break out bad again. Its the closest thing to a cure i guess. There are side effects but if your careful it might be perfect for you.

I agree!!

24.. turning 25 this year. Acne showed no sign of leaving any time soon.. its frustrating!! I decided to go on Accutane- progress is slow so far, but I can definitely say things are MUCH better now than they were a month ago ;)

Read up on it and see if you think it's right for you.

All the best!

Edited by hopeful42day

Hi,

You might also investigate the hormonal acne message boards and look into peoples posts about spironolactone- if your symptoms match others who were prescribed the medication it may be an option to explore for you as well... Best of luck!

Same here....when I turned 28, I got a slew of nodular and cystic acne all on my chin. I rarely had acne problems as a teen or in my early 20's. I've read that adult acne is stress and hormone related as well. For over a year, I tried different topical treatments (both spot and all over) and was left with very dry, sensitive, itchy skin. If zits went away, new ones would spring up next to the old scars.

I finally talked to a derm, who gave me Acanya gel, would could treat existing zits very well, but was still drying out and irritating the surrounding area. After reading several posts on how ingesting dairy products can affect your acne. I eliminated dairy for about 2-3 months and now sneak a little in every once in awhile. My chin has totally cleared up and I no longer get new zits, blackheads, cysts - nothing. In the beginning, I still used the Acanya for existing zits, but have not needed to use it after about a month in to the new diet. The rest of my skincare regime consists of cleansing, using a moisturizing toner and moisturizer.

If it's really the hormones in the milk products that were triggering my zits, hormones may be the cause of yours as well. If it seems really hard to eliminate dairy from your diet (it wasn't too hard for me, but I admit i had my weak moments...cheese!), try talking to your derm about other hormone treatments (birth controls, spironolactone etc.)

Goodluck!

I am a 27 year old female. never had acne in high school, in college i had occasional spots but nothing serious. Then once I graduated college I started getting bad cystic acne around my chin and mouth. a sign of hormonal acne. it seemed to come out of nowhere. it was embarrassing, painful and honestly pretty gross.

Unfortunately with skin and finding a regimen that works for you, it's trial and other, what others swear by might not work for you. that doesn't mean nothing will, just that your skin is different.

I've tried proactiv, murad (oh, the horror!), retin a.

This past Christmas I was committed to finally stop my breakouts that just kept coming. I was hopeful about Differin with a prescription BP cleanser and stuck it out for 100 days, unfortunately I was getting worse breakouts and had to face the fact that I spent 3 and a half months on something that ended up not working.

I got over it. Found a new amazing dermatologist and have just started a regimen that has already improved my skin. something I never experienced with other treatments.

It's kind of like getting into the dating scene. You're just going to have to be brave, suck it up and be willing to out with a lot of people who might not like in the beginning before finding the right fit.

Oh I understand how you feel! I have battled cystic acne for years (I am 30 now) and it really makes you feel self conscious! A few years ago I had a HUGE cyst on the side of my nose - it was so embarrassing. I spent forever trying to camoflage the thing with a pound of makeup and checked my face obsessively in the mirror from every angle while I was at work. Every time somebody talked to me I felt like they were staring at it and they probably were - it was that bad! I even had this guy I work with ask me what was that thing on my face! I wanted to crawl under my desk and hide lol. It was terrible. Since then I have had plenty of cysts that were embarrassingly big but that one was like the biggest ever. I have tried everything and nothing has ever kept my acne under complete control except being pregnant - I had the best skin of my life!

Have you ever tried Retin-A cream, tretinoin, it really works for me? cleared me up in a matter of weeks. If you are interested i get it from this site, I got a 10% discount on all pharmaceuticals like anti-biotics. You can use the code, because it is one per person the site is www.247-pharmacy .com

and the redeemable code is jgcs101.

hi leah

im in the same boat as you except older

i am turning 29 and my face exploded!

my best advice (its working for me when nothing else seems to) is Aloe fresh from the plant. they are cheap and AMAZING

I have been exfoliating with a BP face wash

I then ice the pimples (i have quite the variety: cystic, red lumps that make-up wont cover and im am also sooo self concious!)

I wipe my face with Aqua Glycolic Astringent

they aloe the hell outta my face even around my eyes and sleep with it on

when the pimples were really bad i would put 5% BP ontop of the zit directly ontop of the aloe after its dry

its changing my skin dramatically. look up the bennefits of fresh aloe on line

goog luck

-Leahla

Hi Leah,

Right there with ya! Acne sucks for sure but you found acne.org which is already a huge step in the right direction, I think :clap: There are days where I can't even bare to go outside, and days where I'm like "screw you acne, I look foooiinne!" Ha, it's a rollercoaster. Acne.org is the best thing in the world sometimes :comfort:

I'm also 25 and have had acne since I was about 13. It's gotten steadily worse and I've tried everything (the OTC stuff, BCP, Rx topicals and antibiotics). I finally decided to take the Accutane plunge, which I will hopefully be starting in a couple of weeks.

I know you said your acne is just now starting to get bad, have you ever treated it with anything before?

skylyre

P.S. I recognize your name/avatar from teefury... looks like we both have a love of awesome tees and loathe for bad skin lol :thumbsup:

I'm a 33 year old guy from Durban, South Africa. I have had acne all my life. I started using Oratane 20mg five months ago and for the first time I see improvement on my skin. I used to have at least one or two big pimples once a month, but have not had any since I started treatment. Use natural tears for dry eyes, lip balm for dry lips and vaseline for dry nose. It's overwhelming in the beginning and you get used to it. Good luck