Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KNL71

AHA and moisturizer and other questions

So two nights ago I used Dan's AHA for the first time. My face didn't sting at all, I was actually suprised. Last night I had a ton of dead and flakey skin on my face. Most of it was around my mouth and chin area. I was kind of upset, I thought the AHA was supposed to help with dry and flakey skin, not make 10X more flakes? It looked gross! :( From a distance you couldn't see it, but looking in the mirror I could definitely tell.

I decided to try the baby brush method to try and help with the dead skin. I took a shower and cleansed and did the method. I think it actually did help. I applied my BP like usual, waited and then applied the AHA. This time it actually stung and burned a little. Maybe it's because there wasn't a bunch of dead skin, but new fresh skin? Since my skin has been so dry, I used Cetaphil moisturizer and jojoba oil after the AHA dryed. My face burned like hell and looked really red aroud my chin and mouth area especially. I took a paper towel and blotted the extra jojoba oil and Cetaphil off. About 15 minutes later it didn't burn anymore. When I got up and looked in the mirror today, it wasn't red or irritated at all. So, what caused this burning and bright redness!? Is it bad to add moisturizer after using AHA? Also, how often should the baby brush method be used?

Also, I'm confused on how often the AHA should actually be used. I've read where Dan has said 2-3 times per week, but I've also seen where he says he uses it at night instead of a regular moisturizer. I've read through some of the message boards and some people use it every day, others only a couple of times a week. I don't want to overdo it and cause irritation.

Also, in the morning my face seems to be so much more moisturized. At the end of the day, my makeup looks cakey. It's not really cakey though, it's just dead skin that is actually flakey looking. Any ideas why this happens? I am moisurizing in the AM and PM and am using jojoba oil. I've been using AHA for two nights. Will the dryness and flakes ever stop!?!?! FYI, I've been doing the regimen for 5 full weeks today. How long does it actually take for most people to see noticeable results and no dry/flakey skin after they begin using the AHA?

Sorry for the long post and ton of questions. I just figured I'd put them all in one instead of doing 5 different posts! I hope you guys can help me out! Any feedback is appreciated! :)

You're right to only use the AHA two or three times a week to start out with. People that have been using the AHA and know that their skin handles it well can start gradually using it more often, which is how people get to the point where they're using it nightly. I've done it both ways, and it actually seemed to help my skin more when I only used it a few times a week.

AHA works by breaking down the "glue" that holds dead skin cells together, so they can slough off more easily. Because of this, your skin may appear flakier for a bit, because the dead skin cells are loosened up and flaking off. Once you've been using it for a week or two, the majority of the dead skin should have sloughed off, so you shouldn't be looking as flaky. Continued use will maintain this, as there won't be as much build up of dead skin.

Some stinging is normal with the AHA, but your skin may have already been irritated from doing the baby brush method, which would explain the burning you felt. You basically put a fairly strong chemical exfoliant on freshly scrubbed skin.

You can use the AHA and moisturizer at the same time if you want to, but keep in mind that Dan's AHA is specifically formulated to be moisturizing, so you shouldn't need to double up.

You're right to only use the AHA two or three times a week to start out with. People that have been using the AHA and know that their skin handles it well can start gradually using it more often, which is how people get to the point where they're using it nightly. I've done it both ways, and it actually seemed to help my skin more when I only used it a few times a week.

AHA works by breaking down the "glue" that holds dead skin cells together, so they can slough off more easily. Because of this, your skin may appear flakier for a bit, because the dead skin cells are loosened up and flaking off. Once you've been using it for a week or two, the majority of the dead skin should have sloughed off, so you shouldn't be looking as flaky. Continued use will maintain this, as there won't be as much build up of dead skin.

Some stinging is normal with the AHA, but your skin may have already been irritated from doing the baby brush method, which would explain the burning you felt. You basically put a fairly strong chemical exfoliant on freshly scrubbed skin.

You can use the AHA and moisturizer at the same time if you want to, but keep in mind that Dan's AHA is specifically formulated to be moisturizing, so you shouldn't need to double up.

I was hoping you'd reply! Thank you! :)

I can only use AHA once a week tops, my skin is just really sensitive to it, which is ironic as I thought my skin was pretty not-sensitive. Anyway - I wouldn't suggest using the moisturiser with it aswell, I think the double combo plus the BP would just be too much - and AHA is moisturising in itself. I use BP.. allow to dry.. then a very thin layer of AHA, but not very often. Hope you have some more luck with it, it's a fantastic product just be gentle with it.

:)

I can only use AHA once a week tops, my skin is just really sensitive to it, which is ironic as I thought my skin was pretty not-sensitive. Anyway - I wouldn't suggest using the moisturiser with it aswell, I think the double combo plus the BP would just be too much - and AHA is moisturising in itself. I use BP.. allow to dry.. then a very thin layer of AHA, but not very often. Hope you have some more luck with it, it's a fantastic product just be gentle with it.

I don't think I will use a moisturizer again with the AHA. I just thought well hey, my skin is dry, lets add more moisturizer to it. But, I'm guessing your skin can only absorb so much, so why waste and add moisturizer that isn't needed? I am just so sick of the stupid dryness and flakey looking skin. Makes makeup look like crap and my skin is more oily since it's producing more to compensate for the dryness! Surprisingly, my skin doesn't look as bad as it did yesterday and isn't oily. Maybe the AHA I've used twice this week has helped. Who knows, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed. :pray:

I don't think I will use a moisturizer again with the AHA. I just thought well hey, my skin is dry, lets add more moisturizer to it. But, I'm guessing your skin can only absorb so much, so why waste and add moisturizer that isn't needed? I am just so sick of the stupid dryness and flakey looking skin. Makes makeup look like crap and my skin is more oily since it's producing more to compensate for the dryness! Surprisingly, my skin doesn't look as bad as it did yesterday and isn't oily. Maybe the AHA I've used twice this week has helped. Who knows, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed. :pray:

Well that's good news :) I plaster on the moisturiser lol even if I'm left with a white face it will sink in within 20-30 mins by itself so if you're not in a rush use as much as needed it's not going to harm.

I've got my fingers crossed for you too! :)

Well that's good news :) I plaster on the moisturiser lol even if I'm left with a white face it will sink in within 20-30 mins by itself so if you're not in a rush use as much as needed it's not going to harm.

I've got my fingers crossed for you too! :)

Yeah when I go to bed at night my face looks nasty HAHA Tons of moisturizer + jojoba oil=greasy looking face. But hey, I wake up and my face is more moisturized!