Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miserable

Dan's AHA, please mention results .

Hi

I am considering getting Dan's AHA.

I want to hasten the shedding of my facial skin , i.e. speed up the natural exfoliation process.

I have dark skin (type 5) which is sensitive and scars easily.

I am concerned on how gentle or strong Dan's AHA is. Has anyone here with dark skin used the product? Anyone seen any hyper pigmentation, scarring or reddness from the product? I don't have acne, so the product is for exfoliation/shedding.

I read the AHA faqs . Do I need to use any other product before or after using AHA. The Faqs mention getting allowing about 3 weeks getting used to Benzoyl Peroxide before using AHA, BUT this only applies to those following a regimen right? I am just looking for exfoliation so I should be fine just using Dan's AHA alone? And sunscreen if I am going out.

The AHA is great as a stand alone product. You don't need to be on any particular regimen or use any other products (except for sunscreen) along with the AHA if you don't want to.

Dan's AHA is strong enough to get its job done, but it's relatively gentle on the skin. Start out by using it two or three times a week, and if your skin handles that well, you can try using it more often if you so choose.

I used to use the AHA, and didn't really experience any redness with it, although it can sting for a little while after application. Once your skin gets used to using it, though, the stinging should subside.

Hello c'est la vigne

I am going to go in for facial lazer hair removal and electrolysis soon. Can I use Dan's AHA in between the lazer treatments, which are like 4 weeks apart?

I read in the FAQs that sunblock should be used when using Dan's AHA, so thats why I ask.

How long does it take for the skin to normalize after stopping use of Dan's AHA? I wondering if it is ok to stop using the AHA a certain number of days before my lazer treatment then start it using it again after the lazer treatment.

Are there any visual signs that the AHA is working? Could I see skin flaking off? How does Dan's AHA compare with Retinoids? Can both be used?

Edited by Miserable

Hello c'est la vigne

I am going to go in for facial lazer hair removal and electrolysis soon. Can I use Dan's AHA in between the lazer treatments, which are like 4 weeks apart?

I read in the FAQs that sunblock should be used when using Dan's AHA, so thats why I ask.

How long does it take for the skin to normalize after stopping use of Dan's AHA? I wondering if it is ok to stop using the AHA a certain number of days before my lazer treatment then start it using it again after the lazer treatment.

Are there any visual signs that the AHA is working? Could I see skin flaking off? How does Dan's AHA compare with Retinoids? Can both be used?

I think that's something you ought to talk to your doctor or derm (or whomever is doing the laser hair removal/electrolysis) about. I don't have any experience with those procedures, and I'm not sure if the AHA could negatively affect either the treatments or your skin.

AHA can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and more prone to burning, which is why it's recommended that people use sunscreen for at least a week after any AHA use. As I said, though, I don't know if it would make your skin more sensitive to lasers or anything like that, although it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

As for visual signs that AHA is working, some people do experience more flaking early on, since the AHA is breaking up the "glue" that holds dead skin cells together, allowing them to slough off more easily and quickly. With continued use, it helps to prevent the build up of dead skin cells, so the skin looks softer, fresher, and more even toned.

I'm not sure about combining AHA with retinoids. Again, that might be something to discuss with your doctor or derm.

C'est la Vigne

Are Retinoids prescription only? If Retinoids are available over the counter, I am assuming they are they less potent than Rx ones?

hey i have asian skin and i have been using dan's AHA for a week. it has made my skin quite dry and flaky but i feel thathe dr flaky skin is actually my dead skin coming off. so far i have used it thre times and my skin is still flaking.. hopefully after flaking i will have new nice smoother skin. .

C'est la Vigne

Are Retinoids prescription only? If Retinoids are available over the counter, I am assuming they are they less potent than Rx ones?

I'm not 100% sure on that, since I've never used or looked into retinoids. The stronger ones, you'd need a prescription for, but I believe that some OTC anti-aging products contain retinoids too, albeit in smaller, less potent doses.