Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mopatop

Icepick scars info request

Hi there,

I am new to the forums and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the volume of info here, so please forgive me if I am bringing up an issue that has already been addressed. Feel free to direct me to a previous thread if that seems more practical. I have some questions about treating icepick scars, which I have a whole bunch of. Here they are in no particular order.

1) Is there any laser that can improve icepick scars without an accompanying elevation or excision? People seem really big on lasers, but I'm just not sure about this. Also, I get a lot of very varied information regarding which lasers are appropriate for what, even from doctors. Is there a reliable source for info on which lasers are safe for what?

2) How important is it that no acne be present before one has an excision or elevation? How often does an excision or elevation open up or go wrong? I'm finding it difficult to find a lot of information on this procedure, and much of it is contradictory. I'd be very interested in some before and after photos too, which I've also found scarce. Oh also, I've heard there is a great deal of bleeding with this procedure! I'm worried I would puke! Has that happened to anyone? Are you sedated during the procedure? Are there any antibiotics to take?

3) How does something like needling, derma roller, or tca treatments compare to elevation or excision? Are those performed by surgeons generally? Are they painful? From what I understand some people attempt a "do it yourself" approach with these procedures, but that is not something I would be willing to do at all.

Thanks so much, I'm looking forward to hearing your advice.

-M