Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I still have some moderate active acne around my chin and mouth, but I also have a bunch of clogged pores and these annoying whiteheads under my skin that have been there for a long ass time. They also always turn to zits. I want to use a BHA or an AHA to get rid of these clogged pores and whiteheads, but I don't want to irritate my active acne. Which one should I use? Also, my regimen consists only of washing with Purpose Face wash, applying Apple cider vinegar toner, and complex 15 moisturizer.

If you're not on any kind of regimen, just wash with something gentle, like Dan's Cleanser and use his AHA every other night. And after a few weeks, you can even add in BHA on the nights you're not using the AHA. BHA is supposed to get into your pores and clean out the crap in them and using the AHA on the other nights will help the BHA get into your pores by exfoliating and resurfacing the top layer of your skin. Plus, the BHA will most likely dry your skin out and the AHA will help you with that by moisturizing! Good luck!

Edited by Joey T

How do you guys feel about Dan's BP and using it with the AHA, but alternating use? Also, doesn't AHA have somewhat of an initial breakout, like a purging effect at the beginning of use?

How do you guys feel about Dan's BP and using it with the AHA, but alternating use? Also, doesn't AHA have somewhat of an initial breakout, like a purging effect at the beginning of use?

If you're going to use BP and AHA together, be sure to give your skin plenty of time to get used to the BP before adding the AHA in. We recommend that Regimen users wait at least a month before starting AHA use, because your skin will likely be a bit irritated while it gets used to the BP, and the AHA can be too harsh during that time. Even if you're not actually doing The Regimen, I'd recommend holding off on the AHA until your skin has time to adjust to the BP.

If your problem is more non-inflamed acne than inflamed acne, though, you'd likely be better off using a BHA, like Salicylic Acid. Salicylic Acid is better at breaking down the gunk that clogs pores, whereas BP is better at killing the bacteria that causes inflamed acne.

And yes, some people do purge when they start using AHA.

I have used BP (Neutrogena on-the-spot) many times in the past and have been on the regimen a couple of times but stopped because my acne was too severe to be cured by BP alone. I am also hoping that Dan's BP is more effective then On-the-spot. I used to use mounds of BP on my face and never even get flaky skin, so I can handle it. I have pretty moderate, inflamed acne now and so I think that BP should help, but I also have a lot of clogged pores so that's why I want to use the AHA. How should I alternate the BP and AHA. Do I apply one and then the other, or use them separately?

Edited by bennyb

alrite thanks. But do i apply the BP and then the AHA on the days I use the AHA? And do you moisturize after the AHA?

alrite thanks. But do i apply the BP and then the AHA on the days I use the AHA? And do you moisturize after the AHA?

Dan's AHA is specifically formulated to be moisturizing, so you shouldn't need to use an additional moisturizer along with the AHA.

Just do the BP and your regular moisturizer every day, and then on the days that you're using the AHA, use the BP and then the AHA instead of your regular moisturizer.