Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miffy18

How to Reverse benzoyl peroxide (BP) Damage

Hi Everyone

I completely just messed up my skin by using 10% benzoyl peroxide for over a year. This has caused fine lines/wrinkles and worstly...my skin is now starting to SCAR really easily...even the tiniest pimples are giving me scars whereas before I didn't EVER scar before.

I'm so sad and depressed especially since its my own fault that I weakened my skin like this.

Please...if there's anyone out there that went through the same thing and was able to reverse the BP (benzoyl peroxide) damage please please post about what you did.

If anyone else has any other info as well pleaseee post.

And if you also damaged your skin via BP and wasn't able to to reverse it please let me know so at least I'll know what to expect...

It's been almost two weeks since I quit the use of benzoyl peroxide...yet my skin texture is still horrible...however the thing I'm concerned MOST about is the fact that my skin starts to SCAR so easily...even from the tiniest pimples....did anyone else experience this and get better (stopped scarring so easily)??

Jojoba oil is acne.org approved, it will help. I have also had great success with grape seed oil, sunflower seed oil, and adding a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to any of the above. You can apply a small amount to your skin at night and it will absorb fairly quickly.

Thanks for the replies :)

c'est la vigne - how long do you think it will take for my skin to heal....and do you recommend any products in the meantime like a moisturizer? (I was thinking cetaphil....I really want to use Eucerin anti-wrinkle w/Coq10...but I'm afraid I'd break out)

MOST Importantly....do you think my skin will stop being so scar-prone like its gotten to be now?

DeeVoo- . I was wondering if you had the same experience (damage from excessive benzoyl peroxide use) and then used jojoba oil to fix it? Thanks for the info tho.. every little bit of info helps and I'm going to look into it.

I use Cetaphil and think it's great, especially combined with jojoba oil. Moisturizing can help keep your skin balanced and moist, which can help with healing.

I can't really give you a time estimate, because everybody's different, and everyone heals at different rates, but it takes around a month for skin to renew itself, so I'd say your skin should be feeling better in a few weeks.

Jojoba oil is acne.org approved, it will help. I have also had great success with grape seed oil, sunflower seed oil, and adding a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to any of the above. You can apply a small amount to your skin at night and it will absorb fairly quickly.

Agree

Jojoba oil + extra virgin (true) olive oil.

Thanks for the replies :)

c'est la vigne - how long do you think it will take for my skin to heal....and do you recommend any products in the meantime like a moisturizer? (I was thinking cetaphil....I really want to use Eucerin anti-wrinkle w/Coq10...but I'm afraid I'd break out)

MOST Importantly....do you think my skin will stop being so scar-prone like its gotten to be now?

DeeVoo- . I was wondering if you had the same experience (damage from excessive benzoyl peroxide use) and then used jojoba oil to fix it? Thanks for the info tho.. every little bit of info helps and I'm going to look into it.

I have been using EVOO, Grapeseed Oil, and Jojoba Oil in a moisturizer that I make while using BP and have not had any drying or side effects (except wonderful skin :) ) from the BP. So I haven't had any damage from excessive benzoyl peroxide use, but I am positive that the oils will help you...

Be sure to let us know what works for ya!

Guest bangandthedirtisgone

hello, if you are currently not taking any prescribed medication for your condidtion, maybe you should try skinderma pro *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

The man who invented it talks a lot of s*** about how it can heal scars, but there is no denying the ingredients (consisting of essential oils and maybe some carrier oils) are great for moisturising the skin.

If your skin is dry, and dull it needs to be moisturised! Plus the whole b**** about how it might also heal scar tissue etc might also lift your mood as its a win win situation.

If its just your face and neck you can use it once a day (maybe apply it before going to sleep) lightly to the neck and face area until absorbed. That way the bottle would last you two months.

If you live in the USA there is also the US site in Dollars. Google it or maybe I can find it, if you want it.

I had the same problem from the Bp. Havn't used it for over 6 months now, but the wrinkles it caused are mostly still present.

Has anything helped so far?

Edited by Scarface1983

Stop using all acne products. Wash face once a day in shower with water only. This helped make my skin better, it takes time though.

If the wrinkles are wrinkles and not dry skin, you can use retin a to get rid of them. If they're dry skin the retin-a will make them worse. Retin-a can also make you break out and make you scar easier.

You're supposed to use a moisturizer with BP or any chemical peel product, or your skin will dry out and cause it to crack.

But don't sweat it. It will heal in time. But using a decent moisturizer will speed up the healing process.

Hi there,

I noticed the same thing after using BP (small pimples leaving scars or red marks that take forrrevvver to go away). I didnt use it all over my face just in problem areas, which is alot of areas lol but yes stop using the BP and use an essential oil like grapeseed at night, definately helps the skin heal. I did so much research after having the worst break out of my life and realized you have to be GENTLE with your skin. Get a non-comedogenic cleanser, better if its natural and only wash 2-3 times a day, grapeseed oil or even better argan oil at night before bed. Also, i heard acupuncture helps with scars too. I did acupuncture for a hormone imbalance and acne and it really helped. Oh and dooo nottttt pick at your skin, seriously. Im a serious skin picker, but because your skin has got so sensative from BP its imparative that you dont scratch, pick, pop, touch your face! I've read other ppl say the same thing after BP usage. And most important, diet and exercise, seriously its important. Exercise will help you not break out but also it helps blood and nutrients circulate through your skin, which you neeeed for your skin to heal. And diet, fruits, veggies, protein. Healthy body = healthy skin.

Hi,

As an adult, I developed a lot of tiny bumps under my skin, like clogged pores. They never became whiteheads or blackheads except one once in a while.

I started using a famous BP program to heal the bumps.

I, of course, became a slave to the product and used it for 10 years regularly.

I started getting little tiny splotches of brown on my upper lip, then my forehead...

The last couple of years, (this last year in particular) the condition has 'spread' on my cheeks, nose, chin. It's melasma now, everywhere.

I'm so grateful to everyone who has reached out for help and shared their experience on this board and others or I would never have known what was wrong with me or why.

I stopped the BP about six weeks ago. My skin looked better, lighter, but then the sun...

Because I'm not using any acne medication, my face is really breaking out and all sunblock is a nightmare. I wear a hat- it's the only thing I can do at this point. And I just noticed a new dark patch forming...

For some reason, I believe if I can just keep my face out of the sun and stop all the medications it will fade in time. I just have to do a better job with the hats and be vigilant. I don't want to use any more harsh chemicals. No hydroquinone, etc.

I believe my body was overproducing melanin to protect my skin from the BP effects, and if I remove the BP, my body will stop producing the brown melanin spots. I guess I'll see what happens.!

Also- I have been washing with a jug of bottled water and ivory soap. The pimples at least are drying, and the bottled water is the reason.

Best of luck to all!

Guest bangandthedirtisgone

all I said is if ure skin is dry then it needs moisturising. Whats so wrong about that?

it makes me feel good that this post is helping others =)

I think short-term BP is okay for some people...Ive used it for many years but now I unfortunately cannot because it damaged my skin.

I dont use any sunscreen because stuff in there can cause breakouts so I do my best to stay out of the sun...however I do wear Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Compact Foundation makeup (its no longer in stores but I buy online) it has salicylic acid in there and protects me somewhat from the sun.

Im not claiming that this is right or wrong but this is just my experience....

Hello when I read your post I was like wow I'm going through the same thing...a few months ago began using epiduo along with a lot of benzoyl peroxide. In just a couple of weeks my skin began to get very dry leading to even oilier skin. I never had any trouble with indented scars as well. But I noticed out of nowhere there were 2 indented scars on my cheeks. I immeditately started freaking out and stopped picking but unfortunately continued the epiduo. I finally got sick of it and stopped it all together, it made no difference in my skin. For a while I didnt know what to do with my skin so stupid enough I used my mom's rettin a on the 2 indented scars. Over time I realized that this wasnt doing much, it dried them out a little bit but it wasnt worth it. So I realized that I should start finding ways to rehydrate my skin. Exactly what you are doing right now. I also needed to get rid of acne as well, so I just decided to go on accutane. Ive been on it for about 2 weeks and there are no pimples on my face just a lot of scarring. Ive been using something called tamanu oil for my scars and ive been using aloe vera to hydrate my skin. I will probally do this for the whole time Im on accutane. If anybody has any ideas of what will also help tell me. Also my indented scars have been slowly rising with each day, its amazing. Im just keeping my fingers crossed.

Guest Timehealsall

yep. I knew it.

Im stopping the bp as well