Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bennyb

trying to get rid of this acne holistically, but don't know if I can

I have the last 15-20% of my acne to clear up and I have tried everything. The acne consists of of clogged pores, a couple of whiteheads under the skin, and 4-5 inflamed zits. It's located on my chin and around my mouth, nothing on cheeks or forehead. I use a Purpose face wash, and apple cider vinegar toner. I used to use aloe vera straight from the plant, but event that seemed to break me out. I cut out all sugars and my diet mainly consists of avocados, hummus, cucumbers, antibiotic/hormone free chicken/turkey/ham and some ezekiel products. I also put a lot of turmeric on my food. Then I moved onto a gluten free diet and cut out the ezekiel bread to try and rid myself of this stuff, and as odd as it seems I broke out worse when I quit the gluten, so i started back on it (started eating ezekiel bread again). What could this possibly mean if i am breaking out due to not eating gluten. I have heard so many people say that gluten is so destructive to the body. I am really getting frustrated with this acne because I am trying to get my terrible pockmarks lasered before I leave for college this summer and my derm says that I can't unless my acne is gone. She's trying to prescribe me a bunch of crap I don't want to use. I don't know what to do and the diets don't seem to work. I guess my acne could possibly be hormonal, because I have an extremely selective diet as is and don't think that any of the food is breaking me out. I don't want to go to the derm, but I think i gotta. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Just stick with it. Took a while for diet to take effect for me and I'd get occasional bad breakouts in between. Just try not to cheat on your diet too often and don't binge eat. That's what does it to me every time.

Oh and you might wanna try not eating avocados. They were a prob for me (which really sucks, cuz I love em).

There is nothing wrong with using a medicine that a derm gives you along with diet and a healthy lifestyle to combat acne. You could spend years trying to find the magical diet or supplement combination that works for you, to the point where the search controls your life. Using a medicine gives you some leeway while you find your cure.

I don't have a problem with creams like retin-a and stuff, but my derm said I can't get laser while I am using the retin-a or other creams. My scars are way worse than my acne, so I really need them gone. Especially before I leave for school over summer.

Also, avocados are not a problem for me. I know some people have problems with the large amounts of fat, but I don't.

Should I see my derm for a hormonal fix to the problem? Do any of those hormone pills really work, because I have heard they cause people to break out in cystic acne?

Your diet seems mildly lacking. If you eat dominantly what you listed - then you certainly aren't getting enough (if any) nutritious greens. Eat more spinach, collard greens, kale, romaine lettuce and so on. There are a lot more vegetables out there than cucumbers (which is technically a fruit). You need more balance.

Have you tried eating broccoli, cabbage, peppers, carrots, tomato, zucchini or squash in general, cauliflower, celery, garlic, sweet potato...the list goes on for healthy choices. You may not actually enjoy some of those, but there are still other things you should be consuming.

It's not always just about what you ARE eating, but about what you aren't getting enough of as well. One would expect that eating more nutritiously would help balance hormones naturally. You'd be surprised. Expect it to take time. If, in a few months, your hormones still seem out of whack, some people try Vitex (supplement) if you're a female . If not, I'm not entirely sure what hormone options are available for males.

Should I see my derm for a hormonal fix to the problem? Do any of those hormone pills really work, because I have heard they cause people to break out in cystic acne?
You could see an endocrinologist to get your hormones tested to see if that really is the problem. Your treatment will vary based on your particular imbalance, but I've heard really good things about Spironolactone, and a derm can prescribe that. I'd also recommend getting between 500-1000mg of GLA from Evening Primrose oil to help with hormonal balance.

To me this case sounds like "Adrenal Fatigue". Do some research into improving the adrenal glands. I had the same problem, I took a supplement that was called Adrenal Support (UK only) that help remove the strain that was being put on the glands.

P.S Vitamin C supports adrenal function, considering supplementing with that. Also Vitamin b6 is really great. It supports adrenal glands as well as controlling hormones (estrogens) this might be perfect for you.

Let me know how your getting on.

I also eat 2 big romaine lettuce salads with each big meal of the day. I also eat celery and cabbage as well. Things like broccoli make me break out due to iodine, same with spinach. I don't think it could be my diet. I do a liver cleanse every 2-3 months, I am regular (every day), so no digestive issues. I can't see anything other than hormones being the problem, especially because I tend to break out after sex and the acne is located on my chin and around my mouth. What is Spironalactone? Can guys take spironalactone? Does it cause an IB like Accutane?

Edited by bennyb

I took a look at that list and I already do most of those things that help the adrenals. I take vitamin C, I exercise daily (mainly cardio), I get around 8 hours of sleep during the week and more on weekends, I take vitamin D, I also surf so I get in the sun as well, I eat sea salt, I don't have anything with caffiene. I don't really know what else to do. I am not going to be able to eat like this next year anyway becuase I will be in college. It seems as though even if I make these large changes in diet, I won't be able to maintain them for too long because I am leaving for school. And the breakouts are not constant. I usually just always have those whiteheads under the skin (they've been there for like 8 months) and some clogged pores. I get like 4-5 zits a week and by the time the old ones are healing, the new ones are forming, it's extremely frustrating. Plus the zits are extremely red and inflammatory.

Edited by bennyb

And the breakouts are not constant. I usually just always have those whiteheads under the skin (they've been there for like 8 months) and some clogged pores. I get like 4-5 zits a week and by the time the old ones are healing, the new ones are forming, it's extremely frustrating. Plus the zits are extremely red and inflammatory.

Other than blackheads, I never had much problem with the small, non-inflamed stuff. Until last summer when i started getting them on the back of my neck and blackheads on my back. And I've come to the conclusion that they don't just go away, they have to exfoliate away. I'd try a BHA to speed that up if your skin isn't too irritated. And oil cleansing helps black heads. I'm not sure about whiteheads.

And the breakouts are not constant. I usually just always have those whiteheads under the skin (they've been there for like 8 months) and some clogged pores. I get like 4-5 zits a week and by the time the old ones are healing, the new ones are forming, it's extremely frustrating. Plus the zits are extremely red and inflammatory.

Other than blackheads, I never had much problem with the small, non-inflamed stuff. Until last summer when i started getting them on the back of my neck and blackheads on my back. And I've come to the conclusion that they don't just go away, they have to exfoliate away. I'd try a BHA to speed that up if your skin isn't too irritated. And oil cleansing helps black heads. I'm not sure about whiteheads.

Would AHA work for blackheads too? I got my nose full of them after trying BP. They never went away when I stopped the bp regimen.

Edited by hesitation

What is BHA? and where can I get it? Is it irritating? Would this help with active acne also because the clogged pores are around the active acne lesions?