Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ohhellojanie

Non-comedogenic routine, and sulfate question

I've been reading about comedogenic ingredients in skincare products and I'm shocked by how many ingredients I've been finding in most of the items I use daily. I'm going to try to switch to a makeup/skincare routine that has the fewest comedogenic ingredients I can possibly find in the drugstore and see how my skin fares. I've checked all the ingredients of the following products against this list: (http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm). Here is what I'm going to test out:

Cover Girl Clean Oil Control foundation (haven't used this since high school!)

Maybelline Dream Matte Powder

Enrich moisturizer for a daytime SPF lotion (from Trader Joe's)

Jojoba oil for nighttime moisturizer (also from Trader Joe's)

Witch hazel toner

Occasional aspirin/honey mask

I'll update with any significant changes/findings!

One thing I've been surprised by in my research is the comedogenicity ratings of sulfates (found in most shampoos and cleansers). Does anyone know how/why these clog your pores?? I've been having an extremely hard time finding a cleanser that does not contain any comedogenic ingredients including sulfates AND is effective at removing makeup. The only one I've found with good reviews is Spectro Jel, which is only sold in Canada. Currently I alternate between a cream cleanser for makeup removal (L'Oreal Go 360) and Johnson and Johnson Baby Wash as a gentle AM cleanser. Both of these contain sulfates, as do many other soap-free cleansers.

So my question is, does anyone know whether the pore-clogging component of sulfates is removable by just following up a cleanser with a good toner? I've never really believed in the necessity of toners, thinking they were just a waste of money... but if sulfates are leaving behind some kind of soap scum on the skin that is clogging my pores, I wonder if I could just use any old cleanser so long as I had an effective toner to use right afterwards. The one I had in mind is the Neutrogena Pore Refining toner, which contains both BHA (salicylic) and AHA (glycolic). Any insights?

Edited by ohhellojanie