Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JaneDoe26

My Veggie Smoothie Test..

Well I'm 26, a female, in good shape and use to have terrible acne especially around my jawline and surrounding area.

Anyway I went on Diane 35 (Birth Control/Acne miracle drug) and 6 months later not a blemish or cyst in sight. Only thing is it has other health risks that I'm not too stoked on. Like high blood clot ratios and so on.

So I want to come off. I am scared.

I think that since I'm at a clean slate right now (because Diane is monitoring my hormones) I would be a good test subject. On March 27th 2010 is when I will stop taking my acne killer. So please pray for me.

After I quit Diane I will consume one shake a day made from Leafy greens such as Kale and Spinach, freash lemon juice, and a small mixture of frozen fruit.

Lets see what happens!!

And if ANYONE knows another good hormonal substitute for Diane 35 please please please speak up!!

Thanks muchly 0x0x0x0x0

Edited by JaneDoe26

This may help anyone seeking more info about what I'm on...

Diane-35 ED also known as Dianette is used fot the treatment of androgen-dependent diseases in women, such as acne, especially pronounced forms and those which are accompanied by seborrhea or by inflammation or formation of nodes (acne papulopustulosa, acne nodulocystica) The aim of treatment with Diane 35 is to block the peripheral action of male hormones commonly present in the female body.

When androgen activity is increased in women, conditions such as acne, seborrhea and hirsutism and female pattern baldness can result. These conditions are known as symptoms of androgenization.

Diane-35 ED contains two hormones: cyproterone acetate, a progestogen, and ethinyl estradiol, an estrogen. Cyproterone acetate inhibits the influence of androgens, and reduces the activity of the sebaceous gland which plays an important role in the development of acne and seborrhea.

What’s unique about Diane-35 is its ability to block androgen activity at the pilosebaceous unit. While all oral contraceptives may decrease the production of androgens to some extent, only Diane-35 decreases the ability of androgens to bind to their receptors, improving signs of androgenization such as acne.

Efficacy data from three pivotal clinical trials of Diane-35, including trials in Canada, provides results from 1,462 women with symptoms of androgenization, including severe acne, over a period of 23,549 cycles. In these trials, acne was improved in 38% of patients after three months, and in 91% of patients after 12 months. Improvement was steady with progression of therapy and, by the end of 36 cycles, all cases of facial acne were completely healed.

I was on Modicon for a year. It did a decent job of controlling my acne, but at the start of the new year, I figured I didn't want to have the health risks that came with birth control. I was terrified I'd have abnormal periods, my skin would go nuts or my hair would fall out from hormonal imbalance as my body struggles to make it's own, again.

My last week on the stuff was when I started eating healthier. I cut out ALL grains and processed foods and upped my veggie intake. Then, I started making green smoothies and eating fresh fruit, eating most of my food raw, eating a small cooked meal of meat and veggies at dinner. It's been nearly 3 months since coming off of it and no sign of skin problems returning and fortunately (or unfortunately) my hormones seem to be regulated more quickly than I'd thought.

Just be kind of warned. I don't know if this happens to most women who come off or just me, but when my first real period rolled around, I thought I was going to die from the pain. Modicon had basically eliminated most cramps, but for hours, I was doubled up on my boyfriend's bed, unable to move until I just sort of passed out. (from pain or exhaustion, I don't know which).

So, I think getting off is a good decision. I also think you should focus on your diet as a whole, not just green smoothies. It'll keep you much more balanced. And if you're looking for an alternative to moderate your hormones, some people take Vitex. It's a supplement that technically makes you more fertile. Some women says it helps their acne. Others say it made it worse. After BCP, I'm not a big fan of altering my hormones in any way, especially considering Vitex has the potential to make things better OR worse. But, you could try it if you need to. I'd just much rather let my body do it naturally on it's own.

That's definitely a pretty drastic hormone change. I agree with gMaria; you really should focus on your dynamic health. That means eating healthier all around (bad foods raise hormones), being very active (regulates hormones), lowering your stress levels (also regulates hormones), not to mention laughing a lot and getting plenty of sunshine.

Thanks for the advice ladies!

I'm already a vegetarian with the exception of eating tuna (so I'm not a true vegetarian) I grew up eating a lot of fruits and veggies. I naturally like them. But leafy greens I'm not so fond of. By that I mean I don't have time to make them taste good by preparing meals that would go good with them. So I figure the smoothies are genius and a good way to have leafy green intake everyday. Iceburg lettuce has like zero nutritional value so salads should be made with spinach I guess.

I just don't know how to incorporate kale and chard everyday besides adding them to a smoothie. Need some more recipes I guess.

Thanks for the advice ladies!

I'm already a vegetarian with the exception of eating tuna (so I'm not a true vegetarian) I grew up eating a lot of fruits and veggies. I naturally like them. But leafy greens I'm not so fond of. By that I mean I don't have time to make them taste good by preparing meals that would go good with them. So I figure the smoothies are genius and a good way to have leafy green intake everyday. Iceburg lettuce has like zero nutritional value so salads should be made with spinach I guess.

I just don't know how to incorporate kale and chard everyday besides adding them to a smoothie. Need some more recipes I guess.

Kale chips! They may not have as much nutritional value, but they do retain SOME of that value. Just stir up some kale leaves (stems excluded) with some olive oil and add some unrefined sea salt and/or other seasonings you may prefer. I like garlic.

Then, stick 'em in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Presto! You've got some addictive crunchy little green chips. Just be sure not to burn them. They'll taste horrid if you do.

Do you eat eggs? I've mixed kale or spinach in with my eggs before. I'm sure you could do this with chard as well. I've never had chard, personally. It's oddly expensive at my local grocery store. You could also try processing a little kale, chard or whatever and sprinkling it into your salads in addition to your spinach base. That way, the flavor will be covered up by the other ingredients.

And if you aren't fond of using spinach in your salads, I've found 2 ways to make it extremely tasty. You'd be surprised how darn good it is to just dump some salsa on top of spinach and eat it. I've also grown fond of processing some spinach into tiny bits and mixing it up with an avocado. It really adds a nice texture to the avocado, a mild green flavor that's still mostly just the avocado.

Just try tossing some greens into a homemade soup. There are lots of recipes that incorporate kale into soup. You could also just steam it a bit and add some seasonings. Just google recipes for the greens you want to use. There are plenty out there!

Add greens to soups, curries and stir fry. You just add near the end when everything else is cooked, although kale takes a little more time than the more tender greens. With baby spinach you can just ladle soup on top of spinach in your bowl and it'll wilt in a minute.

And I second gMaria's eggs scrambled with spinach. I think kale is a bit tough for that, but I haven't tried it.

The greens are a good step in balancing your hormones. Click here for a lot more info:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574328

Great recipe ideas! I will for sure try to incorporate spinach with eggs. I have done a Benny with poached eggs and spin with hollindase sauce and with whole foods english muffin.

I have been drinking veggie shakes for 2 days now and it feels great to have it for breakfast. Although it can be a bit bitter I feel more energy afterward. I find that when your stomach is empty it may absorb the nutrients more so than at the end of the day.

Anyway these are great diet plans and hopefully my skin will benefit. I got a period pimple a few days ago and I just started to drink these veggie shakes yesterday. The pimple is not gone but it is less inflamed and I can hardly feel it anymore. We all know what a 2 day pimple is like and usually mine hurt but this one is ok I guess.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback. I can't wait to find a holistic solution for my acne.