Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tuff24get2

Acne and Chocolate

Some people connect sugar directly with acne. If thats true then chocolat is bad for acne. But coke would be just as bad. However people tend to eat a lot of sugar at once because its so addictive. If i have as much as i want i eat myself sick xD

Food sensitivitys seems to have a big influence on acne. So if you eat milk chocolat and you have milk sensitivity it will cause acne. But still milk and some other things would be way worse.

I dont know if there would be any other things in chocolat infulencing acne.

Note that ice cream has both of these factors way worse. But you tend to eat a lot more calories of chocolat as of icecream mostly. So chocolat is worse.

Btw you also can be sensitive to cacau of course.

and also food sensitivities are not the same as allergys. It doesnt have a direct reaction like swelling. Sensitivities have smaller effects that take more time to surface.

the evidence lies in your careful skillfull observation of your own experiance. the nature of science is that anything could be true, if we havent looked at it 3-5 times in a row yet.

Every person is different, so for some people eating cocolate can worsen there acne.

From personal experience (im a chocoholic) it does not really affect my acne at all.

THE POINT:

I notice that research says that chocolate, itself, does not affect acne at all, but an unbalanced diet does.

I hope not because I just ate half a chocolate cake!

Some argue that your diet affects your acne, due to food sensitivities and such (SweetJade1980 has a good article about this in the nutrition and holistic health forum [i can't seem to post links?]). From my experiences, nothing I eat; chocolate, pizza, or a salad makes any difference to my acne. I think we are all different though, so if you feel that you seem to have breakouts after eating chocolate then perhaps it does affect you!

Edited by PostmanPat

Some people may disagree, but i think diet has ALOT to do with acne breakouts. I notice if i have week where i eat alot of chocolate, coke, McDonald's etc... i feel like CRAP, not just do i feel un-healthy and sick my skin breaks out. But when i workout, Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and eat Healthy breakfasts, I feel energetic and my acne lessens. Give it a try. Give up chocolate for a week or two. :)

It is true that people react differently, some people do not get affected at all at how they eat. It is not a scientific fact that the "wrong" food causes acne (in this case chocolate.) I can eat A LOT of unhealthy food, and not see any changes in my skin. For me it is more about keeping my skin from getting irritated. Also, my skin can't seem to benefit from expensive acne treatments with a lot of different ingredients in them. That's why I'm sticking to natural treatments, and I've been seing good improvements so far.

Go to the clinical research section and look at the thread on chocolate. The newest research suggests it might actually be a contributor. Prelim, but seems connected to the bromine content, not the sugar. Try cutting it out and increasing your iodine intake moderately.

I'm almost certain that it is a myth, because through my experience of diet and acne links, nothing has been significantly improving, but it could just be me.

If you eat chocolate, and get no breakouts whatsoever, than eat! If you do than sadly, you must stop if acne means so much to you.

Milk chocolate has never been shown to cause acne in peer reviewed studies. But the latest study semi-informal one supposedly showed a startling connection between real pure dark chocolate and acne. It's new, it's not yet peer reviewed, but unless the researchers were perpetrating a fraud, I don't see how peer review would cast any doubts on it. There a some other variables at work they might need to account for. And it still needs to be replicated, but it's important to point out that chocolate contains bromine. One of the symptoms of too much bromine in your system (Bromism) is Bromide Acne. That's a real medicate condition. So it makes sense that people with not enough iodine in their system and/or a sensitivity to Bromide, might be susceptible to real dark chocolate contributing to acne. There's bromide and brominated stuff in various processed foods, too, so it's possible this is one of the reasons why several other non-chocolate studies and meta-analysis of pre-existing data has shown a connection between "western diets" and acne. If it was just the sugar doing it, then milk chocolate and "insulin spikes" should have been shown to contribute to acne, but hasn't.

Oh, and another halide that will do what Bromide does is Fluoride. Now that I think of it, my face did turn to crap again when I was instructed to go back to a flouridated toothpaste after having gum trouble. That was bad advice since flouride is for your teeth, not gums, so maybe I should move back.

Edited by Reti