Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest bangandthedirtisgone

Scars - lets talk about PRODUCTS!

hello fellow threaders, care to share your experiences with any products/procedures you have tried together with the type of scar you tried them on?

It might give us new ideas/approaches/products/procedures to try or avoid!

I'll get the ball rolling!

I have ice-pick acne scars and I have tried:

Mixing my own essential oils and carrier oils - useless!

Pixel resurfacing - after one treatment I vowed never to go back! Way too much hassle!

Come to think of it, that's about it! Considering trying something by Zenmed. The customer services peeps are gonna get back to me with a recommendation.

Scars suck and so do scammers! But maybe there is something out there that works.

when did you start noticing scars or did you always get them from the beginning of having acne?

Do you use BP?

oR

Have you used BP in the past?

oh wow, thats going back a bit! I remember noticing my acne scars straight after I had my acne treated with accutane. Once my acne was gone it left scars in its place. The acne itself was raised but as it went away the skin was left invertably dented. You could tell straight away. But, you know, not all acne leaves a scar behind.

i dont know what BP is so not tried it.

Looking back now I should have paid a couple of hundred pounds and gone to see a dermatoligist in Harley street straight away during my acne breakout. At the time I would never have considered paying to see someone for my acne and really get on top of it. But once scars form - there is no turning back. I should have spent maybe a thousand pounds on it and got my acne safely removed. I ended up spending nearly that much on scar removal over the years.

but whatever, not the end of the world!

To tell you the truth, if you wanna get rid of scars, it's gonna be a hassle. Way more than one pixel treatment too.

Cremes, oils, etc will not work. The skin needs to be damaged in order for it to remodel itself..

yeah, I know :) Guess Im just quietly hoping there is some miracle out there that can do all that with a simple application in the form of a cream or something! But I guess I've been to enough consultations to know there really is very little that can help, and a lot of attached sacrifice. Plus its very easy to give in to advertised products.

But you cant just give up can you?

There is a lot of down time/inconvenience/discomfort that go with those treatments that are only partly effective such as those mentioned in other posts. I personally tried it and no way I can do it on a long term basis. After my skin resurfacing session it took three weeks for the redness to dissipate, took one week for the pain alone to subside and for the area to stop looking like a third world war zone.

There needs to be a better way. Maybe somebody somwhere has tried something that had good results.

This one is the principal post of the forum on the topic that you propose:

Thanks, still finding my bearings around the forum. Pretty sure much of anthing I say or write has already been discussed somewhere before. Will check out the link it looks promising but I guess with a pinch of salt...

what about punch elevations?

oh also...my brother went on accutane and after a couple months into it his acne started scarring him. I think the accutane made his skin really weak.

I didn't go on accutane due to my heart & thyroid problems...however...i also stupidly weakened my skin from overwhelming BP (benzoyl peroxide) usage.

I'm trying to find ways to re-strengthen my skin...if thats even possible :(

I remember when I used accutane it made my skin really dry. Was not a nice feeling. Doctors obviously regard (a bad case of) acne as a condition that needs to be treated but in my view pay little attention to the real world effects of the scarring it can leave behind.

Not sure either how to strengthen the skin regarding future blemishes. But, for example, comapanies that manufacture stretchmark creams for pregnant mothers claim they can avoid stretcmarks altogether by applying creams enriched with natural ingredients and what not throughout pregnancy.

Companies that advertise online are always going on about how their lotions enriched with vitamins and essential amino acids can strengthen the skin when applied topically. But then theres the counter-argument of skin absorbtion and whether its just outright crap!

Think theres a cople of pinned threads on this site explaining pros/cons of topical creams, will give it a read later.