Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have been eating pretty healthy the past three years (by most standards anyway), and like most on here that do so, still have acne. My diet consists of fruits, veggies, meat and fish eggs, sometimes some nuts and seeds, whole grain bread, brown rice, beans and water. This has had absolutely no positive affect on my acne at all. Recently I realized this was not enough so I cut out all wheat, gluten, and dairy. Still not even a slight improvement, in fact, it is worse than normal. Then, about a week ago, I started thinking and it occured to me that all throughout high school (I only started eating this diet of no processed foods and such since college) I ate whatever I felt like (fast food, ice cream, candy bars, etc.) not all the time, but the same as the average American these days, and my acne was actually better back then. I then started thinking that maybe it wasn't 'this food or that food' that could be contributing to me breaking out, but maybe all the stress that came with eating the past few years. Every time I would eat I would be like "Oh no what if this breaks me out I'm nervous to eat it,etc." and all day long I would think "what if I break out now cause I ate a slice of bread...." and I think things such as this constantly flooding my thoughts is what was truly breaking me out more than the food itself. Back in high school when I believed the whole 'Diet doesn't contribute to acne thing' I ate whatever and had my face more under control than I do now. So, the past 7 days I have eaten whatever I wanted (just to test, even when I end up getting rid of acne I don't plan to go back to my old eating habits), not worried at all about any food breaking me out, not constantly checking the mirror, not had any negative thoughts, and guess what? I have only gotten two new pimples the past seven days, which is less than I normally get on a better diet. Coincidence? It's possible. Maybe the food hasn't began to cause a reaction yet, not enough time? Maybe, but I doubt it. I think for me, stress was a larger issue than food. Now, I certainly believe that some people have food sensitivites and certain foods do break them out, but I really don't think it makes a big enough difference for me to constantly worry about every little thing I put in my mouth anymore.

Stress can definitely contribute to the condition of your skin. It creates a raise in the hormones that can trigger the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum that could, in turn, clog your pores, creating more problems.

It'd be optimal to learn how to eat well without stressing. Take smaller steps and you may fare better than cutting everything out all at once. You'll grow accustomed to certain things and will stop thinking about it. Start focusing primarily on health and secondarily on acne.

Do what works best for you.

I agree with not stressing. In fact, I don't get all the stressing going on here. Why can't people just start making healthier and healthier diet choices and methodically trying to figure out and avoid food intolerances without obsessing?

Of course stress is a big factor in acne and health. Anyone freaking out over everything they eat needs to get a grip.

However, just because you weren't intolerant to something before, or didn't notice the effects of an intolerance, doesn't mean you don't have an intolerance now. They can start at anytime. And the detrimental effects of eating something you can't digest could have just caught up with you. Or the reactions you get to an allergy may have changed.

Edited by alternativista

Agreed. I'm still going to continue eating no dairy, wheat, gluten, processed, fried, or fatty foods, but I'm not going to worry about generally healthy foods such as certain fruits and such breaking me out. For example, I'm not going to stop eating bananas or oranges just because some people on here say it breaks them out. Before, I would think "maybe it does for me too". Now I'm just going to eat it and not think about it.

lol. Just noticed right after using the oranges example that your sig. said oranges break you out in cystic acne. I have had an issue with cysts for the past few months for some unexplained reason, but I also haven't had an orange or any kind of citrus fruit in around 6 months. I wish oranges were the cause of mine so I could just avoid them.

For example, I'm not going to stop eating bananas or oranges just because some people on here say it breaks them out. Before, I would think "maybe it does for me too".

You should take those as suggestions on things to try avoiding to see if it makes a difference. That's all I ever say about citrus.

Agreed. I'm still going to continue eating no dairy, wheat, gluten, processed, fried, or fatty foods, but I'm not going to worry about generally healthy foods such as certain fruits and such breaking me out. For example, I'm not going to stop eating bananas or oranges just because some people on here say it breaks them out. Before, I would think "maybe it does for me too". Now I'm just going to eat it and not think about it.

Just remember to eat things like sugary fruits in moderation. I love bananas, but it's rare that I eat more than 2 in a day. That may be high for some people. Luckily, citrus doesn't break me out. However, if you've noticed a moderate break out, it'd be a good idea to take a look at the foods you're consuming to see if it's relative.

I've had really bad fatigue for 4 years and the doctors kept trying to convince me that it was "all in my head." The fatigue was so bad that I had to drop out of school. I was only awake for 1 hour a day and I couldn't even feed myself because getting up was too exhausting.

Anyway, everyone was saying it was in my head. But since going gluten-free 95% of the fatigue is gone. I think the fatigue that is left over is from small amounts of contamination like vitamins.

So I see a balance between imagining symptoms and actually having them.

Good luck!

Just remember to eat things like sugary fruits in moderation. I love bananas, but it's rare that I eat more than 2 in a day. That may be high for some people. Luckily, citrus doesn't break me out. However, if you've noticed a moderate break out, it'd be a good idea to take a look at the foods you're consuming to see if it's relative.

I don't get why do many people here seem to be so sensitive to fruit. I mean, I get it, about the sugar and blood sugar spikes and all that jazz, but I have never had a problem eating lots of fruit. I was actually doing very well a few months ago when eating TONS of fruit, however I was beginning to lose weight because I wasn't eating as much meat and other high calorie foods, so I ate less fruit and more meat and such to gain the weight back, and it got a little worse. Then I tried stupid Murad crap which seriously messed up my skin and I'm still trying to get it back to normal. I went back to eating tons of fruit again a few days ago and I am already seeing results. I just hate how nearly everyone on here is like "No, fruit is bad, don't eat more than 4 grapes a day, too much sugar......". Maybe for you, but not for me. For some reason my skin likes it when I eat lots of fruit so I will continue to do so.

I don't get why do many people here seem to be so sensitive to fruit. I mean, I get it, about the sugar and blood sugar spikes and all that jazz, but I have never had a problem eating lots of fruit. I was actually doing very well a few months ago when eating TONS of fruit, however I was beginning to lose weight because I wasn't eating as much meat and other high calorie foods, so I ate less fruit and more meat and such to gain the weight back, and it got a little worse. Then I tried stupid Murad crap which seriously messed up my skin and I'm still trying to get it back to normal. I went back to eating tons of fruit again a few days ago and I am already seeing results. I just hate how nearly everyone on here is like "No, fruit is bad, don't eat more than 4 grapes a day, too much sugar......". Maybe for you, but not for me. For some reason my skin likes it when I eat lots of fruit so I will continue to do so.

As you said, people who have a high insulin resistance, eating a lot of sugary fruits can really cause sugar spikes. However, whether or not insulin resistance is caused by a high fat or a high carb diet is to be debated. Some theories suggest fat coats the sugar molecules, making it in accessible for the insulin to latch onto and carry out of the blood. Others suggest that eating too many carbs or sugars will put lots of sugar into the blood and the pancreas gets exhausted and produces less insulin to carry away the sugars.

Ultimately, it varies from person to person. I have no problem with fruit, myself. I love fruit. I get tired of people treating it like poison, but alas, to some people, it can be - especially if you have allergies to certain types, like citrus.

I think it's possible to reverse insulin resistance and be able to consume fruit again, but people are just too paranoid. It's gotten a lot of bad hype despite it's numerous health benefits. A lot of people compare the fructose in fruits to high fructose corn syrup or even fructose syrups and refined sugars.

There's a fellow on here whose constantly comparing an apple to a Coca-Cola. Drives me batty just thinking of the misinformation. Just remember that each person reacts differently to different things. That's why some people are against fruit and why it can sometimes cause problems before it helps them.

Why can't people just start making healthier and healthier diet choices

It's so hard to figure out what really is healthy especially acne-wise. Many healthy foods turn harmful for acne depending on something as simple as portion-size.

Of course it's difficult to learn what is truly healthy, but my advice was to simply start making healthier choices one meal/food at a time, as opposed to the all or nothing and freaking out over everything approach.

I did not just switch to a healthy diet overnight. In fact my diet isn't even all that strict. But I quit drinking sodas and some other obvious crap foods and began finding better things to eat, gradually coming up with new nutrient dense meals to replace less healthy meals.

As you said, people who have a high insulin resistance, eating a lot of sugary fruits can really cause sugar spikes. However, whether or not insulin resistance is caused by a high fat or a high carb diet is to be debated. Some theories suggest fat coats the sugar molecules, making it in accessible for the insulin to latch onto and carry out of the blood. Others suggest that eating too many carbs or sugars will put lots of sugar into the blood and the pancreas gets exhausted and produces less insulin to carry away the sugars.

Well, I finished eating an apple right before walking into a doctor's office tossing the core into the shrubbery by the door in fact. The first thing they did was check blood sugar, pressure, etc. And my blood sugar was high enough that the doctor wanted to do a test for markers of long term/frequent high blood sugar. Which was negative, but he had felt my blood sugar was higher than it should be for a person who exercised and seemed as healthy as I was. Although the way they worded the questionaire, my answers made it look like I worked out more than I did: 30min-1 hour everyday. But the thing is, I walk everyday which takes at least 30 minutes. Sometimes I also do something else, but that's pretty irregular.