Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lowfreq

Has anyone tried to use %55 Lactic Acid everyday?

I love the after glow of %55 Lactic Acid and I feel it's doing something to my scars. Has anyone experimented by using it everyday or every other day without experiencing any problems? Right now I'm using it twice a week, but itching to use it more often.

First time I used it it made the areas where I applied it go bright red! I sugesst you use it once a week or twice a week if you feel really brave smile.gif

My experience with peels suggests me to tell you to do one peel every two weeks or one every week. You don't want to burn your skin (also you can use a lower strength acid (e.g. 30% glycolic acid) and get the same results (e.g. the same degree of collagen stimulation) as if you were using 70% glycolic acid, but it will take more time).

55% Lactic acid for my skin is very mild and it makes my skin glow.. i know that the mantra for chemical peels has been "more is not better". But I was just wondering if anyone out there experimented with doing lactic acid 3+ times a week and got good results.

I use it approximately once a week. I have heard of people using it up to twice a week with no issues. I think it's best if you give your skin a rest between exfoliation treatments such as peels.

honestly, i have done up to 3 peels in one week. and the first peel of the week lasts for 4-5 mins, while the next two lasts 1 min or less. i don't think it is more effective, but it helps to remove makeup and keeps my skin clear.

when my skin is more sensitive than usual, i just do it once a week.

use your own better judgement.

The big problem you might have is that your skin would build up an "immunity" to the acids. AHA's are notorious for becoming not as effective as they were when you started using them. Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you do, within a year or 18 months, you might find that the 55% isn't working at all. That's precisely what happened to me with glycolic acid. I could do a 50% glycolic peel and it would quite literally do NOTHING. That's why I switch to lactic and salicylic peels anyway; glycolic didn't even work anymore.

This applies to ALL aha's. I would be careful if I were you.

Denise is correct. You can build up a high tolerance to glycolic acid and lactic acid. More is not necessarily better. Two peels per week of 55% lactic is the most I would do. One per week would be better, I think.

oh, totally forgot about the immunity thing. i've used acid peels for more than a year, so i kind of understand this. i have dysmorphia, and i tend to cause injury to my skin... just be kind to yours okay.

but......!!! i think leaving it one for less than 1 min (maybe washing it off as soon as you feel the slightest sting), will act like a good exfoliator.

I can see we are getting nowhere.... :huh:

Ofcourse you can make your own decisions but I must say that having done peels for many years now (about 7) that almost all peels calm down after a few minutes. The "initial" sting is what attacks dead skin cells so viciously. Personally, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot, but you may do such if you want. Just don't say you weren't warned. :shifty:

hey denise,

thanks for your concern and helpful replies.

i have a question though, do you exfoliate a little before a chemical peel to increase its effect? in the past, whenever i exfoliate, i always burn my skin. but this has never stopped me... my skin bounces back pretty quick and i think that the red marks have faded more. might be i am just delusional.

thanks!