Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyza

Surely not picking prolongs the process?

I mean when i get a spot i dont wait until it surfaces to pop it because i go by the mentality 'the quicker you pop it the faster it will go' and also my spots take aaages to surface. However I am going to try to not pick my spots and touch my face. I have one question though. If i wait until a spot surfaces before i pop it, would the scar heal faster as opposed to if i popped it prematurely?

You can never go wrong with NOT picking at you acne. You might think that you picking at your acne helps get rid of it faster but all you're doing is causing severe irritation. If you're using your nails to scratch them off, it's even worst. There's bacteria under your nails and when you pick it goes into your flesh, under your skin. Even if you use a sterilized needle it'll cause irritation. It's much better to leave a zit alone, even after it surfaces and let your skin heal itself and break it down.

Keep your skin moisturized and go out in the sun without overexposure. If you want to keep picking, go ahead (no pun intended...). But don't expect your skin to ever fully heal. It's the harsh reality. When you pick you're TEARING a hole in your skin.

Edited by Poivonie

Something you need to experiment with and experience yourself is the fact that a pimple left alone will eventually heal faster than a pimple that you pick at.

I know that it's hard to completely ignore a zit when you're conditioned to squeeze at every imperfection on your face, but it's the best thing you can do for yourself.

Rule of thumb: If there's no head, don't touch it at all! There's a whole mechanism that happens underneath your skin and squeezing a zit can potentially spread the acne bacteria to other places on your face resulting in irritation and even more zits.

My advice is to spot treat zits until they go away but by all means don't pick! Red marks can linger for weeks and the last thing you wanna do is break the surface skin on your face or cause trauma by squeezing at your face. Dab on some BP or acne mask on that sucker and let it be. In a few days it'll be gone without a trace!

In the end it's your choice.. a few days with a zit, or a few weeks with a huge red mark.

Something you need to experiment with and experience yourself is the fact that a pimple left alone will eventually heal faster than a pimple that you pick at.

I know that it's hard to completely ignore a zit when you're conditioned to squeeze at every imperfection on your face, but it's the best thing you can do for yourself.

Rule of thumb: If there's no head, don't touch it at all! There's a whole mechanism that happens underneath your skin and squeezing a zit can potentially spread the acne bacteria to other places on your face resulting in irritation and even more zits.

My advice is to spot treat zits until they go away but by all means don't pick! Red marks can linger for weeks and the last thing you wanna do is break the surface skin on your face or cause trauma by squeezing at your face. Dab on some BP or acne mask on that sucker and let it be. In a few days it'll be gone without a trace!

In the end it's your choice.. a few days with a zit, or a few weeks with a huge red mark.

Well... "without a trace" is pretty dependent on the person. Personally, I never pick my skin. The whiteheads usually go away without leaving much behind, but the red zits pretty much ALWAYS leave a red spot despite me leaving it alone and using moisturizer to hydrate my skin.

very interesting thread.

i am living proof picking fuks your face up. harsh but true.

i cant even tell you how angry i was at myself after picking my skin 2 days ago. now i have to deal with the marks for weeks !

if you leave them be its always better. sucks i know but its true.

dont agree with the person that said your skin will ever fully heal. course it will. its what skin does.

i guess if you properly scarred the skin, fair enough, probably wont ever fully heal. but my skin does a great job of healing.

im not picking from now on. its just not worth it.

put some BHA on it or make up. anything. just dont pick or squeeze. its not worth it. its hard for me cause its a stress reliever (sounds stupid i know cause the after effect cause me more stress.... hard circle to beat )

i hope i heal up soon. ive made a huge mess, on my cheek and chin.

looks dreadful

Edited by .JacktheLad.