Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
opfah

got milk? got acne?

Hallo,

i`m struggling for 3 years with mild to moderate acne. For treatment of this condition i have been using skinoren(azelaic acid) since 5 months ago with good results, but it doesn t clear me up 100%. Nevertheless i was always looking for a root cause of acne. last summer i was convinced that i have candida, because i read that book and made that silly cure attempt. as a result my skin improved slighltly, but not a miracle at all. afterwards skin condition went back to normal. i don t believe in that candida thing and still don t do it . since that unsuccessful attempt, i had doubts that diet and acne can be linked, just as it can often been read on dermatological sites.

Recently i asked myself, what discriminates my lifestyle from others, because most people in my age (21) don t have any acne problems. there was one thing that differs me from other people:

my milk consumption!

i drink every day a lot of milk and eat a lot of cheese!

so i googled for a link between acne annd milk and found a study, that milk contains insulin like growth factor and that the intake of milk increases the serum concentration of igf1 in blood. igf1 stimulates oil glands. meat also contains igf1, but if it is cooked the igf1 becomes inactive. the same applys to milk. in any way intensively heated milk or cheese is harmless.

so since two weeks ago, i quit "raw" milk products and believe to have a significant improvement.

But I m still unsure, so i wanted to hear from your experiences with milk.

Besides i would like to start a little experiment, for that i will need a few volunteers with a acne condition.

The volunteers build two groups:

The first group doesn t take any "raw milk" products for 4 weeks.

The second group does eat a lot of cheese,milk,curd etc. for 4 weeks.

Participant who believe in a link between acne and milk should go into group 1

and skeptics should go in group 2 and report regular from their results.

grop 1 should get better skin, and group 2 should get worse skin.

what do you think?

Of course there's a correlation for about half a dozen reasons. The one you mentioned and the fact that it's extremely common to be allergic and/or intolerant which probably produces the most dramatic affect on acne. And there's the lectins in dairy from grain fed animals.

There's already plenty of people here who've given up dairy and gotten dramatic results. And people who've found they can tolerate a certain amount of fermented dairy, dairy from animals besides cows, raw dairy, or organic dairy from grass fed cows.

@alternativista:

What diet change has cleared you up? Do you have any studies from magazines referring lectins?

I think it is very important to be very skeptical! For me there is no reason to avoid milk products, because it is "unnatural" to drink cow`s milk as an human being. In thailand there is an zoo, in which pigs nurture tigers. . Indeed it is a cruel thing, butit doesn t seem to affect the health of the tigers. so the "unnatural", toxification things etc. are no arguments for me.

acnehelp.org.uk/papers/Commentary.pdf

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15054433?dopt=Abstract

those are my sources

Edited by opfah

not as strong as some point out here. The only reasons why milk may cause break-outs are because some people have intolerances to it, because it contains hormones and maybe because there's natural sugar in it.

In my case, cutting out dairy for over 3 months and then introducing didn't make ANY noticeable difference at all.

Edited by acne_combat

@alternativista:

What diet change has cleared you up? Do you have any studies from magazines referring lectins?

Moderate to low GL, nutrient dense and anti-inflammatory diet habits cleared me.

Lectin info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ZAG-enzym...gg-t247794.html

There's also BTC in dairy which affects hyperproliferation of skin cells.

@naturalis

here is the source:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16428610?dopt=Abstract

That study seems to be more about preserving IGF-1 and the abstract doesn't say anything very specific about heat reducing IGF-1 in milk. It had much more to day about fermentation as something that reduces IGF-1 significantly.

The experiment you want to do won't be conclusive at all, btw. You'd have to control for varying degrees of lactose intolerance and allergy in participants. And there's the lectin content of grain fed versus grass fed. There's like half a dozen ways dairy contributes to acne.

Also, here in the U.S., we have very little access to raw milk products anyway.

I did GOMAD for a month a few months ago.

For those who don't know: GOMAD=Gallon of Milk a Day.

My acne didn't change at all.

Anecdotal evidence, but take it as you will.

Edited by rw000

@alternativista

Did you read the article? Have a closer look here: http://jds.fass.org/cgi/content/full/89/2/402 under results.

Acne is not a symptom of lactoseintolerance! Flatulence, diarrhea and problems with digestion are symptoms of lactoseintolerance. Believe me, if you have Lactoseintolerance you feel it after drinking milk, because my cousin has it, so i know it.

Maybe you got me wrong, because English is not my motherlanguage. With raw milk, i meant milk that isn t cooked or in any way heated intensively. So "Raw milk" products is every kind of cheese and nearly every kind of milk.

My experiment was just an idea, that shouldn t have a scientific value. For me it is just about sharing experiences. I would be very pleased, if there would be some guys trying it out.

@alternativista

Did you read the article? Have a closer look here: http://jds.fass.org/cgi/content/full/89/2/402 under results.

Acne is not a symptom of lactoseintolerance! Flatulence, diarrhea and problems with digestion are symptoms of lactoseintolerance. Believe me, if you have Lactoseintolerance you feel it after drinking milk, because my cousin has it, so i know it.

Maybe you got me wrong, because English is not my motherlanguage. With raw milk, i meant milk that isn t cooked or in any way heated intensively. So "Raw milk" products is every kind of cheese and nearly every kind of milk.

No, most of our cheese and other products are pastuerized here. It's the law.

And allergies and intolerance always have the potential to contribute by directly causing a reaction in the form of a pimple, by impairing digestion or due to the increased inflammation.

No, most of our cheese and other products are pastuerized here. It's the law.

And allergies and intolerance always have the potential to contribute by directly causing a reaction in the form of a pimple, by impairing digestion or due to the increased inflammation.

dont believe everything you read especially on the internet, I made that mistake best to get it here from people who know through experience.

Especially Alternavista who knows his stuff

maybe allergy plays a role for some people, but for me definitely no.

I ve seen an allergist in october last year making a test and he said that i have no allergies at all.

as you can read in the article. you ll need 121 degrees celcius by 15 minutes.

... i will report about my acne condition next week, still cutting out diary.

is there anybody, who healed his acne by cutting out diary or improved it? For me it s worth to cut it out,even if it "only" improves the condition.

Of course, there are tons of people who've improved acne by cutting out dairy as was previously stated. And due to the many various ways dairy affects acne.

maybe allergy plays a role for some people, but for me definitely no.

I ve seen an allergist in october last year making a test and he said that i have no allergies at all.

Yeah. That's because they primarily only test for the type of anti-body that causes immediate reactions like hives, rashes, swelling, and anaphylactic shock that can kill you. They don't test for the anti-bodies that cause fatigue, sinusitus, headache, asthma, all kinds of things people suffer from without ever knowing a cause. And acne.

In addition, allergy tests are often inaccurate.

Here's info on IgG mediated allergic responses:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/IgE-vs-Ig...le-t200416.html

And info on inflammation and acne: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574309

Edited by alternativista

@rw000

did you drink long life milk or pasteurized milk?

Pasteurized whole fat milk.