Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnechemist

My 30mg accutane log (Very original title, I know)

Just checked your log, noticed your taking Fish oil supplements (Cod liver oil, Omega-3?) along with accutane right?

What's your daily dosage? Do you see positive results?

Edited by acnechemist

Hey,

I am taking 70mg/day (that is 1mg/kg/day). This is just my first week on accutane so it hasn't had time to start working yet. I am starting to experience side effects, though. :P

Yeah, I am taking omega 3 fish oil (be careful not to take cod liver oil as it has vitamin A in it). It's good in many ways - it's oil so taking it together with accutane increases it's absorption; it also might prevent/lessen the changes in blood caused by accutane; and it might lessen the dryness (I haven't researched this one, though).

Last few days I am suffering from a slight redness, I was wondering if you know anything that I can do about it (apart from Metroruboril). Thanks!

Hey,

I am taking 70mg/day (that is 1mg/kg/day). This is just my first week on accutane so it hasn't had time to start working yet. I am starting to experience side effects, though. :P

Yeah, I am taking omega 3 fish oil (be careful not to take cod liver oil as it has vitamin A in it). It's good in many ways - it's oil so taking it together with accutane increases it's absorption; it also might prevent/lessen the changes in blood caused by accutane; and it might lessen the dryness (I haven't researched this one, though).

Last few days I am suffering from a slight redness, I was wondering if you know anything that I can do about it (apart from Metroruboril). Thanks!

Hey, thanks a lot for the info! Will consider omega 3 capsules now... Need to do some more research into that first! I'll ask my dermatologist next time as well!

About the redness of the skin, sometimes I crush 2 - 4 aspirins into a small bowl with a little bit of water, put it on my face and leave it overnight... And you'll be surprised the next morning haha! Believe me :P

Let me know your results...

Btw, anyone knows how to post pictures? I'm stuck with those code boxes...

Btw, anyone knows how to post pictures? I'm stuck with those code boxes...

Click on add reply (not fast reply), then underneath the text input box you will see Attachments panel. Select your picture and upload it. Then just above the upload box there is a dropdown menu "Manage current attachments." Click there, the file you uploaded should show up. On the left side of it (I think) there will be a button which will insert the picture in the post.

--- Updated, added today's log. (03/21/2010) ---

@Helios, thanks a lot! Going to try that now...

Edited by acnechemist

Updated!

Btw, aspirin masks can be used while your on accutane right?

Just making sure :/

Edited by acnechemist

I am not sure about that^ Aspirin is closely related to salicyclic acid, which in general can be irritating when used together with accutane. However, it all depends on your skin. I'd say - try out aspirin masks, be careful - it might be a good idea not to leave it on overnight at first. And if there's no irritation, go for it :)

If you suffer from facial redness, it might be worth asking your doctor about using NSAIDs (aspirin is one of them).

Good Luck!

I wouldn't use aspirin mask! I can't even think about it...One think I think about the whole day is putting emu oil all over my face as soon as I get home from school. My skin's already irritated bc of makeup( :sick: i hate makup right now, it's just a necessary evil) so emu oil calms it down.

It's also a goo investement, bc it gets rid of your scars and red marks, which I am still waiting to notice but It's probably a lng process...

Good luck on your ~tane course, I'll keep in touch!

Also, when you said itchying is a good thing cause skin's healing (i don't know exactly what u said, sth like that sorry if it isn't correct)...my skin is itchy all the time, it's so annoying!!! And also, kind of hot and burning a little bit. Maybe it's the sun.

Thanks for the replies regarding the aspirin mask/redness!

Unfortunately I had already used the aspirin mask and left it overnight, I think it made it worse so I'll just go back to my regular regime again! Thanks for the tips though, next time I'll wait for some replies before doing something hehe...

@Helios, thanks! I'll ask her next time I see her! My skin's way too red at the moment DX

I'll check your log again in a second :P

@Rjavolaska, thanks as well :D I learned to not use aspirin the hard way DX And yea, that's what I meant... It is verrryy annoying I know haha thank god I don't have to worry about make-up, that would be so much extra work... I hope you'll get clear skin soon! I'll check your log!

Thanks for the post on my log. Yeah ditch the aspirin mask, you are on roaccutane! It will take care of it for you. Just keep things simple. I am so glad I am on it now, no more messing around with topicals and wasting my time. Continue your course this time!

CHEERS TO CLEAR SKIN FOR BOTH OF US IN THE COMING MONTHS!

hey did you notice that your cheeks were way oilier than your forehead and chin before accutane?

Before I started accutane I remember my forehead was really really oily, way oilier than my cheeks were. (It's very noticeable in old photographs, will see if I can find one)

After being on accutane for a couple of weeks my whole face started to dry out, no more oilyness on my face.

The weekend before I left, I hung out with a couple of friends and played some drinking games. You must be thinking DRINKING GAMES? This guy is on accutane. lol. They all know I'm on "medicine for my skin" and I can't drink so they let me drink water XD No peer pressure at all. Such good friends I have : P haha they wouldn't even let me touch a single drink. And I'm glad I didn't.

That's cheating!!!! ;) :D

I am glad to hear that your skin is getting better. Enjoy your holidays!

The weekend before I left, I hung out with a couple of friends and played some drinking games. You must be thinking DRINKING GAMES? This guy is on accutane. lol. They all know I'm on "medicine for my skin" and I can't drink so they let me drink water XD No peer pressure at all. Such good friends I have : P haha they wouldn't even let me touch a single drink. And I'm glad I didn't.

That's cheating!!!! ;) :D

I am glad to hear that your skin is getting better. Enjoy your holidays!

Hah thanks :P Hope yours is improving too! Happy Easter!

My eyes are really dry so I was hoping if anyone could give me advice on vitamins while on accutane? Is it possible? And what vitamins do you use to prevent dry eyes? I'm seeing my dermatologist on the 10th but I can't wait DX Too dry...

Hah thanks :P Hope yours is improving too! Happy Easter!

My eyes are really dry so I was hoping if anyone could give me advice on vitamins while on accutane? Is it possible? And what vitamins do you use to prevent dry eyes? I'm seeing my dermatologist on the 10th but I can't wait DX Too dry...

Thanks! Yeah, my skin is improving.. soft of.. After all it wasn't horribly bad to begin with :)

Regarding vitamins and food supplements, well, I don't think there's anything you can take particularly for prevention of dry eyes. Use eye drops, try to find a brand that works. If this doesn't help, you might have to stop wearing contact lenses, if you wear any. Also, your dermatologist might decrease your accutane dosage. That means that you will have to take it for longer, though.

As I have mentioned previously, I am taking fish oil, which imo might be beneficial. Many swear that vitamin E lessens accutane side effects. The only research trial that I found didn't prove it. I take a medium dosage of vit E anyway. I also take vitamins for hair/skin/nails (without vitamin A). I don't know whether they do help with accutane side effects, but from my pre-accutane experience, my skin benefits from them.

Asking your dermatologist for advice is a good idea, dermatologists have to deal with accutane users all the time, they might know few tricks ;)

Oh, what really helps for me is... windy weather! When walking against thhe wind, it looks as if I am crying. Needless to say, the eyes get good amount of moisture and all the tears flush the lenses clean ;)

Wow you skin seems to be improving a lot. =) After bugging my derm about Accutane for months I finally got to start!! Are you currently taking any other supplements with your course? I had also read about taking vitamin E to lessen the side effects. Not so sure though.

Wow you skin seems to be improving a lot. =) After bugging my derm about Accutane for months I finally got to start!! Are you currently taking any other supplements with your course? I had also read about taking vitamin E to lessen the side effects. Not so sure though.

Thanks! I've just put up another picture from today!

Congrats on starting accutane too! I hope you'll get your clear skin :D Currently I am not taking any supplements but I am seeing my dermatologist on Saturday and ask her about it, will let you know!

Good luck! If you have any other questions just let me know!

Thanks! Yeah, my skin is improving.. soft of.. After all it wasn't horribly bad to begin with :)

Regarding vitamins and food supplements, well, I don't think there's anything you can take particularly for prevention of dry eyes. Use eye drops, try to find a brand that works. If this doesn't help, you might have to stop wearing contact lenses, if you wear any. Also, your dermatologist might decrease your accutane dosage. That means that you will have to take it for longer, though.

As I have mentioned previously, I am taking fish oil, which imo might be beneficial. Many swear that vitamin E lessens accutane side effects. The only research trial that I found didn't prove it. I take a medium dosage of vit E anyway. I also take vitamins for hair/skin/nails (without vitamin A). I don't know whether they do help with accutane side effects, but from my pre-accutane experience, my skin benefits from them.

Asking your dermatologist for advice is a good idea, dermatologists have to deal with accutane users all the time, they might know few tricks ;)

Oh, what really helps for me is... windy weather! When walking against thhe wind, it looks as if I am crying. Needless to say, the eyes get good amount of moisture and all the tears flush the lenses clean ;)

Thanks! I read (somewhere, can't remember) taking fish oil supplements lubricates the joints and your eyes but I'll definitely ask my dermatologist on Saturday! Thank god I'm not wearing contacts, that wouldn't be too pleasant. (I think?)

Decreasing my accutane dose isn't advisable, I think, I'm already on a very low dose compared to other people here on the board... and I think I am taking the minimum dosage at the moment?

0.5mg/kg/day ?

Anyways, I'm gonna check your log for updates now ;p thanks a lot!

Oh and btw I've added a picture of today!

I've heard the same thing about fish oil and joints. Let me know what does your derm tell you :)

0.5mg/kg/day seems to be an alright dosage. I am taking 1mg/kg/day - my derm thought it would be fine not to start slowly and seems that she was right :)

Also, it might be worth asking your derm about taking accutane twice a day (splitting your dose in two), I've read that sometimes side effects can be alleviated this way.

I can definitely see some improvement in the pictures. So it's working! *victory dance* ;)

Btw, do you by any chance play drums or smth? I think I saw a drum kit in one of your pictures. Or is accutane making me hallucinate? ;)

I've heard the same thing about fish oil and joints. Let me know what does your derm tell you :)

0.5mg/kg/day seems to be an alright dosage. I am taking 1mg/kg/day - my derm thought it would be fine not to start slowly and seems that she was right :)

Also, it might be worth asking your derm about taking accutane twice a day (splitting your dose in two), I've read that sometimes side effects can be alleviated this way.

I can definitely see some improvement in the pictures. So it's working! *victory dance* ;)

Btw, do you by any chance play drums or smth? I think I saw a drum kit in one of your pictures. Or is accutane making me hallucinate? ;)

No probs! Will do so on saturday!

To be honest, my IB seemed to last for ageeeeeees, if I knew about that before I wouldve asked for a higher dose. I could still ask for a higher dose, but on the other side, the side effects would get worse as well!

Splitting the dose! Why didn't I think of that DX I'll ask my dermatologist about that too! Thanks man, that's a good idea!

haha drum kit, hell yeah :P do you play drums too by any chance? :o