Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

At-Home Candida Test (Glass of Water) - Does It Work?

I found this at-home candida test.

For those of you with Candida, can you tell me if it works?

Simple Test You Can Do at Home

First thing in the morning, before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, get a clear glass and fill with water. Work up a bit of saliva, then spit it into the glass of water. Check the water after a moment or within 2-3 minutes, then within every 15 minutes.

If you have a candida yeast infection, you will see strings, like cloudy legs, traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on the top, or "cloudy" saliva will sink to the bottom of the glass, or cloudy specks will seem to be suspended in the water. If there are no strings, the water is as clear as it was before you spit in the glass and the saliva is still floating after at least one hour, you are probably candida yeast free. The more strings and cloudiness there is and the faster it develops, the greater the overgrowth.

Source: http://www.road-to-health.com/am/publish/article_150.shtml

Edited by Dotty1

Cool, I am going to try this. Let's get some other people to give it a shot. I am personally really curious because I have had a ton of the candida symptoms, but I never tested myself in any way, and when I went on an anti candida diet, my face became worse.

I just did the test and had the strings you are speaking of. does this mean I have candida?

because I have heard this "spit test" is a load a BS

HOW and WHY would an intestinal yeast overgrowth cause your spit to float funny in a glass of water?

Someone needs to provide compelling evidence in the form of hard facts, not anecdotes, that intestinal candida overgrowth is even a legitimate health condition. All of this self-diagnosing is absurd.

Edited by QuirkyPixy

If there is a candida overgrowth anywhere, I am guessing there must be some of the bacteria existing in the mouth as well. Maybe that's in extreme cases?

This test does seem to be very inaccurate when looking at other people's responses. I hope there is an accurate way to test for it out there that doesn't involve a trip to the doctor.

Edited by Mr. Crab

Candida is stringy. The intestine is connected to your mouth, where is digestion begins, so there would be candida in your mouth as well IMO. But I don't know anyone who hasn't failed the test. It's probably bullshit as you guys said.

my sister and mom both didn't have the strings so therefore failed the candida test.. so not everyone passes it for having candida

my sister and mom both didn't have the strings so therefore failed the candida test.. so not everyone passes it for having candida

Interesting. Some other people here should test their parents/brothers/sisters so see if it's just us acne sufferers that gets the strings. Also a white coated tongue is a symptom of candida or oral thrush so if they have the white coating they will probably have the strings too...

And I'm by no means saying this test actually works, but it might be nice to find out if there's some truth to it.

A more accurate test would probably be to take an anti-fungal and see if you have die off symptoms. A stool test can also detect the presence of yeast overgrowth.

The spit test is not reliable (just like the stool test btw). This test was "invented" by a big company trying to sell supplements to combat candida. It's only a rough indicator of the thickness of your mucus, and that's influenced by many factors like dairy and dehydration. Nobody knows how this test is supposed to work, there is no scientific evidence at all. The best alternative is a Candida Immune Complex test, but it'll cost you money.

The spit test is not reliable (just like the stool test btw). This test was "invented" by a big company trying to sell supplements to combat candida. It's only a rough indicator of the thickness of your mucus, and that's influenced by many factors like dairy and dehydration. Nobody knows how this test is supposed to work, there is no scientific evidence at all. The best alternative is a Candida Immune Complex test, but it'll cost you money.

I'm unclear--why do you say the stool test is unreliable?

The stool test reports things that can be wrong with your digestive system, factors that allow candida overgrowth. But that does not necessarily mean that you suffer from it. It works the other way around too: you may suffer from candida overgrowth, but it'll never show up in your stool. As far as I know there is no stool test that is able to detect candida yeast. It's very hard to diagnose candida overgrowth anyway, even with a blood test. If I remember correctly, a combination of the Complexes test and the CDSA test gives you the best results (I think it was about 90% accurate).

The stool test reports things that can be wrong with your digestive system, factors that allow candida overgrowth. But that does not necessarily mean that you suffer from it. It works the other way around too: you may suffer from candida overgrowth, but it'll never show up in your stool. As far as I know there is no stool test that is able to detect candida yeast. It's very hard to diagnose candida overgrowth anyway, even with a blood test. If I remember correctly, a combination of the Complexes test and the CDSA test gives you the best results (I think it was about 90% accurate).

My understanding is that it does report yeast overgrowth and its negative consequences to the digestive system. It also reports dysbiotic flora. I know its not 100% accurate.