Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DavidWong

Sucks even more there's an age 25+ forum..

Looked around, this section seems like the right place for me to make my first post.. And I guess we can all relate to how this sucks even megatons more.

Basically, this thing torns my life apart. I am 25 years old male, Asian (Chinese), have had acne problem since 14. I am WAY TOO FED UP with this and hope you guys can point me more suggestions.

Brief history.. Always had considerable pale skin for a Chinese when I was little, when times were good. Now it's a mixture of either too oily or dry. First few pimples started at age 13. Outbreaks at 14 under humid weather (Hong Kong) - Severe acne on upper lips and forehead then nose. With a few new white heads day after day... Tried a few counter products which was of no use. In Canada from age 15, much more dryer weather. 4 Months of Chinese med and nothing. Then started to take Accutane at age 16. My doctor had me extra dosage and I took it for about 8 months.

What I remember was him saying not seeing much progress at month 6 he suggested me to take a few extra.

During the time I had 2 other friends taking Accutane. One of them significant hair loss another burning bloody lips. For me it was “merely†dried up skin on face and hands. So I did, after 3 or 4 months of stop taking the pill my skin were better. However it was by no mean "cleared", redness didn't go away although I did have much fewer outbreaks. I'd say I have bad acne from that point on.

We were all young and stupid, just not fabulous in my case.. And I thought it would go away with age.

Age 19-20, OUTBREAKS, (back in HK with humid weather..) on side cheek and side chin and side forehead and side everything basically is cover with acne, till this day. Occasion new pimples on lips and nose area, acne red bumps with pus (O F--- ME) on lower side chins and cheeks, blackheads still on nose and forehead but no pimples, redness on scars and pimples on cheeks and always ITCHY.

Things I’ve tried throughout these years - Anti biotics (Tetracycline, Minocycline, Clindamycin) each for 6 months to 1 year’s period (I honestly forgot which to which). I’ve also taken Zoloft for around 7 months in age 21 thanks to all of this.

Went to some beauty salon and did C6 Laser treatment (Nd:Yag 1064nm laser) for 10 sessions with a solution to reduce redness, along the course of 8-10 months with one of the anti-biotics. I thought the solution helped significantly but they didn’t reveal the solution nor the name of it... All I know is it was white, wasn’t cheap, and I can apply moisturizer over it.

Most recently I did Chinese med for 5 months.

Current skin doctor had steroid needles injected 4 times on both side of my lower chin on those huge bumps that sadly are still there. I asked for another anti-biotic and he is suggesting me to “just†re-take Accutane.

That beauty salon is suggesting me to do Smoothbeam Laser. I suppose I couldnt take on both. Costs are similar, which one should I go for?

I’m all opened up for suggestions. We all know what Accutane do to our bodies and we all know by now how desperate I am.

If you’ve read till now, THANKS. I really mean it. Appreciate it so much. It’s not a fun story. Any suggestions and inputs are welcomed. Cause I want a chance in life.

Sorry I know I'm not using much terms because of the language differences I'll ask in more details on my next visit to the doctor.

Forgot to mention I cut on consuming beef and chicken and milk for almost 2 years advised by my Chinese doc. Occasionally I'll eat a bit when I feel like it. Other foods I dont eat much are well Mcdonalds, soft drinks, chocolates, chips since I dislike all of them to begin with....

And I try to take in less cheesy and dairy products. We all love cheese.

I drink 10 cups of water everyday because I like it.

Tried an altern med that involved apple-eating-only for 3 days straight. Have to say much less oily skin even less redness but nothing long lasting and feels too empty inside.

[edit2]

Took a look at the "types" page and I can identify having Acne Fulminans on cheeks and neck and Acne Conglobata on side cheeks and side chins...

Thanks in advance

Thanks again.

Edited by DavidWong

Not sure if my severity is the same level but I've tried dieting and doing all I could but there was no way I could stay away from certain foods.

Accutane is the only thing that did work for me and the only side effect was dry lips I'm about to start another round and it seems like it's a 4 year cycle for me as far as getting bad enough for me to want another round.. this will be my 3rd.

Try it again and see what happens. Good Luck!

I am 27 and have had acne for 14 years. During that time, I have tried basically evertything possible for my face. I have tried all sorts of lasers and lights and things that zap your face (smoothbeam didn't work for me) and pills and creams and facial steams and masks and scrubs and acids and every combination possible of those things. I am convinced now of one thing: the only hope I have left to clear my skin is by working from the inside out. Acne happens because of things going on inside your body, so that is where to attack the problem. I don't know if my new routine will clear me, but I am excited that it seems that it ::might:: be working. Here it is...

- Become vegan (don't cheat!).

- Take one fish oil tablet a day.

- Drink lots of water and also "Everyday Detox" liver cleansing tea (3 cups a day). The liver is key in why people get acne.

- Easy on the topical washes, cleansers, creams, etc...What I do is massage St Ives facial scrub on my face for one minute while in the shower in the morning. For the rest of the day, do a hot/cold face wash with plain tap water once at lunchtime and once at night. I don't bombard my face with all the BS products anymore and I don't want to irritate my face.

- Get on the treadmill and get a decent sweat going for at least 20 mins a day.

- When you sleep at night, try to sleep facing the ceiling and don't let your face touch the pillow. If you can't do that, make sure you have a new and clean pillow case each night.

It has taken me this long to try this routine because I really liked meat, but acne is such a malevolent bastard and I hate him so much that I will now do anything to kill him. Just a few weeks ago I was rubbing my own warm piss on my face 3 times a day because I saw the post here about "urine therapy'. Anyway, try this routine if you are really desperate. You have nothing to lose.

doughboyatx,

3rd time on Accutane hmmmm.

Could you elaborate a bit on maybe any difference noticed with your body? As severe as Im getting now I really dont want another round of Accutane.

Haha for me the food can wait. Girls > food

Jasin,

Jasin, sadly thats exactly what I've been doing for the last 2.5 years+

I used as little products as possible till this day I'm only on a face wash "acne derm" and some lotion to keep it moisturized. I worked inside out mostly from avoiding certain foods.

I heard about fish oils. Is it suppose to make one easier to absorb nutrition? If yes it may work for me because I am on the thin side no matter how much I eat. Joined the gym 5 years ago but no use at all because I am a hardgainer and I couldnt eat any food or nut shake that helps buff me up fuck but thats another story.

You mentioned smoothbeam not working for you. I am curious,

how was your skin condition? Often dry? What kinda acnes yo uhad? On what areas? Other beams or laser you would better recommend?

The workout part I should FOCUS ON. Have to admit I am scared to get more skinner from sweating. Whatever now.

I still take in meat yes but only pork and fish. Following my Chinese doc's advice. He made it clear that my liver and kidney suck. Not all vege are good for me and mushrooms are no-no. My body and heart being too hot but my stomach's too cold so I couldnt intake nutrition -> This here basically means I am a godsend. Anyway they all fit in the puzzle just havent done jackshit in killing acnes.

I am going to give myself ONE FULL WEEK and 2 other weeks to do EVERYTHING in my power to eliminate this bullshit. I mean I'll combo every little fucking thing I know and implement into. I can still do better.

I need a decision on whether some laser or accutane.

I havent give in my best. I shouldve learn more about my skin type and look more in depth what could most likely help. Part of the reason I half assed this acne business is because I didnt even want to acknowledge it. I thought what I dont put my attention into, it would just dim and die the fuck awway. Guess it didn't, cause the pain and scar is always there. I'll stop pretending I have this problem and I need TO FACE IT. And I'll stop before this turns into my log.

And I try not to place myself in a victim mentality every morning but its not till long I start asking the question Why the fuck do we have to go through this bullshit.

Still I aint one bit sorry for myself but I am just not myself with this shit on I just want to be at least presentable.

I have this shit for 12 years + and wasted all my fabulous years hiding in the shadow hoping one day just till that day.

THAT DAY has also been my Birthday Wish for 12 f years. Go figure. 12 f yrs and f counting.

I havent taken a satisfied photo all these yrs because I couldnt laugh. I can do an emotionless laugh and thats just fucking sad and incongruent. And Its Gay. And I tell ppl I dont like to take photos cause I prefer living in the moment. In truth, I do.

Im sure some of you could relate to all these. But I rather not. it's one thing to finally find ppl in common it's another thing to realize how miserable it is and not needing another poor guy going over this. Lets focus on the prize and how to get there.

One thing Im grateful though is those friends that can see past not the acne but my real personality behind the sissy sorry always tired image. But lets face it, ppl like to be with another spontaneous energetic person. I want to live. LIVE LIFE.

Sorry its another long post. And sorry you have to see my rant again. I am still new to this forum, I am a acne fucking vet and I am not a robot.

sounds like you've put your skin through a lot... have you tried just leaving it alone?

I've left it be for long and didn't help much, actually looking more into makeup and laser treatments.

Recommendations?

I can confidently and accurately state that acne has robbed me of my soul, any enjoyment I can (naturally) garner from life, and is slowly eating away my ability to function as a human being.

I, like you, have endured the pain for over 12 yrs. Oddly enough, it gets worse and not better as time goes on. The skin becomes so battered and abused by all the topicals and creams and washes that it is permafucked. My breakouts aren't as bad of late, but that is because my most recent derma perscribed yet another short term fix: Adoxa (i think) oral and Retin - A at night, with another cream in the AM. Today was a lovely sight: more cysts and more scarring.

Every day is a worsening nightmare that won't end. I feel your pain. I often don't go out or contribute in a social setting, all the while bemoaning myself and my plight. The damning thing is I believe it is my fault, and am being punished via acne. I just wish I had a compotent doctor who can properly diagnose and treat it, but alas, i dont.

Also, the acne.org regimen destroyed the healthy layer of my face. After 1 month, it caused so much peeling and redness and new scarring I had to stop. It did lessen the breakouts, but made my face even worse. Try that only with extreme caution.

I plan to try laser treatment to smoothen my scars somewhat, but it is $1000 a treatment and not covered under insurance, so am not sure if I do want to commit to that for a questionable track record of success.

Anything that works, feel free to share!

Sorry to hear that your going through a rough time.

Your acne is being caused by an internal imbalance; I know you hate acne, but its your body's way of telling you that something, possibly serious, is wrong inside you.

The fact that you've taken Accutane several times only to have your acne come back should make you think....

What's your diet like? Lots of people say or think they are eating healthy, when in reality they may be sensitive to foods that don't give others any problems.

Either way there IS a solution to your acne and you don't need all these harsh prescription meds; you just need to start researching and digging deeper for the answer.

Start by doing an elimination diet;

Get rid of Gluten for at least a month and see if your acne improves; if you don't know what Gluten is, look it up.

Next get rid of Dairy and see how you respond.

Most people don't do well with one of the following food items: gluten, dairy, soy, nuts

If that doesn't work you might want to see a naturopath and see if your digestive system is under stress. Many cystic acne suffers have an extreme imbalance in hormones which is causing their acne.

Lastly if you don't change your habits, your not going to get different results.

Meaning if you don't change your diet and lifestyle, your acne will not improve. Stop treating the symptom and fix the cause!

If you need help send me a message.

PANIC

Anything that works, feel free to share!

Dreaming in red,

Change your name man. You should be yourself in your dreams.

I feel sorry too that I understand you. You really seem to put a lot on your face. Try just leave it be for a while? I had 1.5 yrs time of just leaving it be and surprise, it didn't really went too worse off nor better.

Then again I was having a relatively better time during that time of my life so that helped.

If you've never do laser treatments before do some easier ones. I did a C6 laser for 10 sessions that didnt intend to kill acnes but did lighten my redness.

I know how costly it gets. Trust me if not for my acnes I would be doing a different job something more fun and adventurous than doing I-dont-know-what in this dull box. But I can't. I need my paycheck for my treatments.

/rant off

Point being, no matter how sorry or hopeless, or shitty youre feeling, you have to keep going. (I feel like Im talking to myself)

Anyway, check on this page http://www.acne.org/light-laser-acne-treat...-rc4/page1.html for laser reviews. I couldnt say for sure but Fraxel and Smoothbeam are the 2 most popular up there and from what I've read in other sites as well there are more positive results coming from Smoothbeam.

And don't feel sorry at yourself last thing to have in your mind is that this is your fault.

Sorry to hear that...

PANIC, thanks for your info. I've been attacking the cause

Or so I thought.

See I put much attention to what I intake.

Avoided many foods for at least 1.5 years+

beef

dairy

milk

poultry

beans

nuts

fungus

soda

certain vege and fruits (oranges, pineapples...)

junk foods

basically anything fun

Avoided BBQ and hot pots also.

Been drinking some Chinese medicine though. Used acupuncture too but gets costly after a while and no significant changes after 20 something sessions.

I couldn't really say it has gotten any better or worse. Nothing really changed over the course of these 3,4 years.

Its just like praying to God. 50/50

Well..

I'll try avoiding eggs and breads too for 2 weeks and see how it goes..

I am 27 and have had acne for 14 years. During that time, I have tried basically evertything possible for my face. I have tried all sorts of lasers and lights and things that zap your face (smoothbeam didn't work for me) and pills and creams and facial steams and masks and scrubs and acids and every combination possible of those things. I am convinced now of one thing: the only hope I have left to clear my skin is by working from the inside out. Acne happens because of things going on inside your body, so that is where to attack the problem. I don't know if my new routine will clear me, but I am excited that it seems that it ::might:: be working. Here it is...

- Become vegan (don't cheat!).

- Take one fish oil tablet a day.

- Drink lots of water and also "Everyday Detox" liver cleansing tea (3 cups a day). The liver is key in why people get acne.

- Easy on the topical washes, cleansers, creams, etc...What I do is massage St Ives facial scrub on my face for one minute while in the shower in the morning. For the rest of the day, do a hot/cold face wash with plain tap water once at lunchtime and once at night. I don't bombard my face with all the BS products anymore and I don't want to irritate my face.

- Get on the treadmill and get a decent sweat going for at least 20 mins a day.

- When you sleep at night, try to sleep facing the ceiling and don't let your face touch the pillow. If you can't do that, make sure you have a new and clean pillow case each night.

It has taken me this long to try this routine because I really liked meat, but acne is such a malevolent bastard and I hate him so much that I will now do anything to kill him. Just a few weeks ago I was rubbing my own warm piss on my face 3 times a day because I saw the post here about "urine therapy'. Anyway, try this routine if you are really desperate. You have nothing to lose.

Sounds like you are on the right track, even if it doesnt work you will be benefiting your health. The thing about sweating is you need to be careful to wash with a ph balanced wash immediately after exercise, but you also need to try not to wash more than twice a day if possible.

I am interested in introducing more alkaline foods into my diet & vegan is a great way to do this.

I have noticed my face wash ingedients are non pore blocking EXCEPT for Sodium Lauryl Suflate which is highly comedogenic & is the biggest ingredient - so not sure what to use now. Even sebamed contains this ingredient! People seem to rave about cetaphil but trying to find anything better also. I tried cetaphil lotion & it breaks me out real bad - it also contains a highly comedogenic ingredient too.

Although people say your skin shows whats in the inside - i find this hard to believe as on the whole i am very healthy but still have unhealthy looking skin, yet some unhealthy people have amazing skin. It just doesnt make sense - sometimes i wonder if fructose could be a trigger because i eat alot of fruit? but cutting that out would be a killer and not sure how much is dient related anyway. Can you ask your doctor to test for alergies in the UK?

Well, really at my age (50) you would think that I would be done with this, NOT! I still break out and before anyone goes and says its your diet its your hormones its your genes its this or that, don't you think that I have tried it all? other than tane and I am sick of it! No one and I mean no one my age has acne that I have seen and trust me when I go somewhere I look really really hard at skin! Rarley do I find acne or anything close to acne! Other than one girl at work who has cystic acne, I am the only one. I can deal with the little lines but its down right embarassing at my age! I get the "better you than me looks" or the "pity" which I hate more than anything! So I have come to the realization that I will never be rid of this disease, 6 months after I am pushing up daisys I will have a break out! Elf

Sorry to hear that...

PANIC, thanks for your info. I've been attacking the cause

Or so I thought.

See I put much attention to what I intake.

Avoided many foods for at least 1.5 years+

beef

dairy

milk

poultry

beans

nuts

fungus

soda

certain vege and fruits (oranges, pineapples...)

junk foods

basically anything fun

Avoided BBQ and hot pots also.

Been drinking some Chinese medicine though. Used acupuncture too but gets costly after a while and no significant changes after 20 something sessions.

I couldn't really say it has gotten any better or worse. Nothing really changed over the course of these 3,4 years.

Its just like praying to God. 50/50

Well..

I'll try avoiding eggs and breads too for 2 weeks and see how it goes..

Like seriously not trying be crude, what do we end up able to eat?

Luckily rice is not a problem thou technically it should be cos it's high carbo food.

LOL 3 meals of vegetables is the best isnt?

Why are we cursed to have such hideous skin and horrible eating problems.

Like seriously.

hey whats wrong with nuts, almonds & the like are alkaline? so is hummus, i tried buying that but i ended up scoffing 3 tubs in 3 days & have a very groany stomach each day after! i also cant be controlled around nuts, especially brazils & cashews! so i avoid buying them!

i think dairy is worth a trial & a low alkaline diet.

Hey Elf --- I'm 59 and still battling this! I totally agree with you about seeing no one our age with this condition. It's sooooo embarrasing and depressing :redface: I could just die when I'm flaring up with big red cysts and have to go out socially. Actually I avoid going out socially. Like you I've tried everything and unless I'm actively on Accutane or antibiotics I am breaking out. It's a mess and I'm so fed up. And I've tried everything over the past 45 years...diet, vitamins, natural, topicals, Dan's tx, etc etc etc. Is there a way for us to chat in a message? We could help each other cope...

Hey Elf --- I'm 59 and still battling this! I totally agree with you about seeing no one our age with this condition. It's sooooo embarrasing and depressing :redface: I could just die when I'm flaring up with big red cysts and have to go out socially. Actually I avoid going out socially. Like you I've tried everything and unless I'm actively on Accutane or antibiotics I am breaking out. It's a mess and I'm so fed up. And I've tried everything over the past 45 years...diet, vitamins, natural, topicals, Dan's tx, etc etc etc. Is there a way for us to chat in a message? We could help each other cope...

It sucks. I know I am conscious. I am confident in the looks department up and until I see a breakout. It blows. Honestly, it is so easy to get caught up in your head and thinking negatively. You think about it and you feel like the elephant man but, in reality, it isn't as bad as you may think it is. Al you can do is try to watch certain foods. Body knowledge is ideal. Understand how your body reacts. I got moderate acne and I think the lack there of a moisturizer may be a problem. Something that brings more nutrients to the skin.

I think giving your face a natural cleanse with water is ideal. See a doctor about recommendations. They don't know. They are using you for trial and error purposes. I am considering clindoxyl gel for moderate acne. I want clear skin completely. I am fine but, then the odd ugly pimp shows up, the really bad ones that don't go away and get really inflamed.

Try to give yourself a decent time period for using a product. Honestly, if you see a natural path, they say you need 6months use of any product before you can give it up. I personally enjoy the lemon cleanse but, I am thinking of trying lemon juice oppose to squeezing the juice into a damp cloth. Have you tried this man? If you got acne in your family roots, it is probably into your genetic code. It can be done but, it is a little tougher. It sucks that, most medications treat the blemish oppose to the actual root of the problem and the meds likely add into other problems later down the road. I seen a natural site, I will send you the link. They got a couple of natural cures & chinese medicine recommendations you could try. Anything you try, you need to go into with an open mind for you to reap the rewards. You waste your time if you don't believe in what you are doing.