Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carebear_heart

To makeup or not to???

HI,

I am a gal who is confused about whether i should makeup or not.... I have stopped makeup completely for almost 3 months now.... And during those times, I had a lot of difficult times going to work....But now, I 'm happy to say that my face is clearing but with a few red spots and small pimples.It doesn't look that bad. Probably mild pimples.

Lately, I am thinking of makeup again. But from my experience, I started to have pimples once I start the makeup... Now, I am really lost, if I were to makeup, is it supposed to be oil-free makeup only?Some non-comedogenic labels can't be trusted.

I don't understand what kind of makeup are those that causes breakouts? I dare not take the risk of trying each and every makeup products and then getting pimples over and over again. I WILL NOT GO THROUGH THAT ROUGH TIME AGAIN.

Thanks...any replies, greatly appreciated. doubt.gifdoubt.gif

go onto makeupalley.com and read foundation reviews. If it didn't break anyone else out, it should be safe. A lot of the "oil-free" and/or "non-comedogenic" still cause breakouts, so it's best to look at reviews.

How come you are not using St. Ives makeup remover & cleanser anymore?

Thanks for the information. Actually, I don't really believe in the reviews but I will trust your words in this.... :huh:

Try patch testing an area too with a new makeup, so in case it breaks you out it's not your whole face. If you read the posts around this forum too you'll get a good idea of what makeup breaks people out, word of mouth is the best way to go. I was told about Almay Skin Stays Clean foundation and I've never had a problem with that stuff and don't know anyone who has, so try a product you hear a lot of good things about.

But I do think wearing makeup as little as possible is better to allow your skin to heal, mine looks so much better for hardly wearing it.

yup i gotta agree.. "almay skin stays clean" is really good..

if your face is getting better when your not wearing makeup.. and uve been so good at not wearing makeup.. why start up again? also "revlon colour stay" is good too biggrin.gif

If you are someone who prefers to wear makeup, then I would definitely wear it. I agree that Makeupalley.com is a good place to do research on products. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure whether or not something will break YOU out is to try it. When in doubt, just do a patch test - this way you're not affecting your entire face.

How come you are not using St. Ives makeup remover & cleanser anymore?

Thanks for the information. Actually, I don't really believe in the reviews but I will trust your words in this.... :huh:

It's hard to tell, skin can be very unpredictable. The thing is, when you wear make up after not wearing it over a long period of time, your skin has to learn to adapt back to that stage or wearing make up again, so it will have to get used to the feel of it on your skin. You skin will probably react for the first few times you wear it, you'll probably break out abit, but it will die down after a while. This is because your skin absorbs the make up thinking it is a type of moisturiser, and because your skin isn't used to the ingredients found in make up, you tend to break out. (My belief anyway...with experiments with make up...) Anyway, find a brand that you like, and wear it every day for a week and see how it goes. If you break out really bad after more than 4 days, discontinue using it for a while until your skin is totally clear of any pimples. (And you are just left with red marks.)

I want to makeup again because I want to have a makeup which can be used for going to dinner,wedding and for certain occasions... As u all know, I have stopped makeup totally and I don't have the best of skin, applying makeup for important functions is important.

Furthermore, I will be getting married next year and if I still don't know which makeup is suitable for me,then I'm doomed....

Suggesting that i makeup everyday...EVERYDAY for 1 week and see whether I will experience any breakout is a NO-NO... I'm really not willing to take the risk.. I will freak out if I start to get those cystic acne from the makeup....

Oh God, i think i am really paranoid about makeup...

Make me the third person in this thread to recommend Almay Skin Stays Clean foundation. It does have some SA in it, just so you know, but I like that. I said in another thread that my face seems to look a smidgen better at the end of the day on days I've had make up on than on days I didn't wear any. I won't use any other makeup besides this one. Test a spot in an place no one else can see, if you're really afraid. It's very gentle and lovely stuff. I use their loose powder as a finisher dusted lightly over the top, then their powdered blusher and their mascara. It's a nice line at a fair price. I had moderate acne that sometimes flared baddddly...and this makeup never made it worse...and now that I'm just dealing with redmarks mostly...the makeup does not interfere.

Almay Skin Stays Clean foundation.....Ok.....all of you made me believe that it's good... However, I don't think it's available in a drugstore. I think I have to go to a big shopping mall to get that, where there are makeup consultants to entertain me. It would be good if I can avoid them..They can be my worse enemy.(if u know what I mean)

Thanks all of u, for your suggestions... :wink:

I don't use foundation, but I could not walk out of my house without Concealer and powder. I use Almay concealer and Aromaleigh powder and they don't cause breakouts at all.

Nooooooooo.....Almay IS available in a drugstore, in walmart, and many other places. It is NOT from a department store beauty department. It seems like expensive stuff, works well, but is easy to buy from many places without those stupid beauty consultants wink.gif

What colors from Almays skin stays clean are you guys using? I have light/medium skin and I have such a hard time finding a foundation line that has the right shade. 99% of the time I have to mix a medium and light and it gets very pricey. I didn't really like the way almay looked on my skin...i looked a bit orangey.

i don't know how your skin looks right now, but a little make up can go a long way.

i used to wear a pretty heavy revolon powder all over my face and itd break me out. so i got rid of that...

im also deathly afraid of make up causing acne, so im really careful when it comes to wearing make up. nowadays, i dont wear make up if im at home, at work, or at places where i dont care about how i look such as the supermarket or a friends house. my skin has cleared up a lot and i just have one or two pimples and a few marks usually. all of that can be covered with a concealer.

ive taken a liking to cliniques acne solution concealer bcause it doesnt break me out and treats acne at the smae time, so i dont feel guilty about wearing it. i just use it sparingly to hide the blemishes, and finish with a light pat of powder on my nose. my skin looks pretty decent like that. i always wash off my make up as soon as i get home.

Just wanted to tell u all that I am still hesitant about applying anything on my face other than moisturizer and a little bit of baby powder. I have only like 3 active pimple and some red spots which are fading.... I'm just too chicken ... sad.gif

Anyway, thank you all for those suggestions. Maybe when I have pluck up more courage to put anything on my face(LOL) then i will but some stuffs you recommended. :unsure: