Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davis507

Finacea-Red Skin and Burning?

I just started Finacea tonight and it really made my face turn pretty red and burn after about 5 minutes. I put it all over my face not just spot treatment. I have had it on now for about 1 hour and the burning is subsiding but it is still pretty red. Is this normal? Do I have to worry about it damaging my skin? I have been spot treating with BP and chemical peel and the Finacea is bothering those areas more. I do not know if I should just go to bed or wash it off. I read up on one thread about Finacea and it talked about itching, but I did not see anything about redness and burning. I have acne and very mild rosacea ....I am just getting so fed up with this red face I get from all these acne creams....I used Differing for a week and threw that out, it was a nightmare....

TIA

if you see redness from a product, THROW IT OUT. Your face changes color for a reason, and that is irritation and irritation causes skin problems later. i think you might be allergic to bp

if you see redness from a product, THROW IT OUT. Your face changes color for a reason, and that is irritation and irritation causes skin problems later. i think you might be allergic to bp

Many acne products can cause redness and irritation when you first start them. I would not recommend the OP throw out the Finacea after just trying it once. Finacea does not contain BP, so its not an allergy to BP that is causing the OP's problem.

To the OP - Finacea can cause some initial irritation and itchiness/burning when you first start it. How much did you apply and how recent did you do your chemical peel? Peels can make your skin more sensitive to products for a few days, so you might want to lay off the peels until your skin adjusts to the Finacea. One of the common initial side effects of Finacea is itching and burning - the vast majority of the time this effect will stop after your skin adjusts to the medication.

Make sure that you are only using a thin layer of Finacea. You can also start off using it every other night for the first couple of weeks, and then bump up to nightly. This well help reduce irritation and dryness.

If you can avoid using moisturizer right after the Finacea, that might help too. Try doing it at the time of day that you do not use the Finacea. Sometimes, moisturizers can increase the burning sensation that you feel from acne products. So, if you use finacea at night, moisturize in the morning.

I've been using Finacea for a couple of years and really like the results. It was MUCH better for me than Differin! Finacea helps treat both acne and rosacea, so it should work better for you than retinoids or BP.

Another question - how strong are your chemical peels and who does them? Are they done by a professional or do you do them at home?

Also, if the irritation/burning does not reduce over the next few weeks (or if it gets worse) - then temporarily stop using the product and contact your doctor to see what you should do.

The redness subsided over night and when I put it on this morning I had no issues at all, a little stinging for a few minutes but it went away. The pustules themselves got pretty red but this morning they were not as red, they were just their usual normal red. It is weird that I only get the redness and stinging at night. That is the same thing that happened when I used Azelex(insurance stopped paying, so switched to Fineacea.) After a few weeks the Azelex did not bug me as much either. Hopefully this will be the case with the finacea because i liked how my face felt in the morning, not all nasty greasy. The redness and burning is worse where I have been putting the BP prior to getting Finacea...I HATE bp...after a few days it makes my face look like a red lobster....I wish I would have read this post before doing my nightly treatment because i put the Fineacea on, waited about 10-15 and then moisturize and that is when the redness and burning started. I use rather mild products, Clean and Clear for Sensitive skin, Purpose Dual Treatment. However I did the same regime this morning and just a little stinging for a few minutes and then I was fine. My face actually had a tiny little glow to it....for once in a long time...except for the areas where i have nasty pustules....

I think the Finacea is going to work better than the Azelex, the Finacea seems lighter.

the peels i do are like 10% TCA at home and i only do small spot treatments, i never put it all over my face....just on the brown marks left over from acne and on my nose where the pores are full of blackheads. I think the Finacea is bothering the BP areas the most. That is where it is reddest and most bothersome. I pray to God this Finacea can replace the BP, I hate BP like i said b4, lol. Ugh and Differin...no way! What a nightmare, i think I might still have some leftover irritation from that garbage. I just put cold compresses on the reddest areas, will see how it goes.

I was also wondering I am thinking of ordering a phototherapy lamp, is this going to make my face fry because of the Finacea?

What I really want to try is Spiro because I have thinning hair (only 34).....but the doctors are not very open minded about any of my suggestions, so I am afraid to even ask....

well thanks for the advice....appreciate it...

@Willow I am currently using Differin and it is making my face burn and red on both cheeks. I want to switch to Finacea. Since you have used both, how fast can I transition to using Finacea and stop Differin? What about still using BP?

thanks

@Willow I am currently using Differin and it is making my face burn and red on both cheeks. I want to switch to Finacea. Since you have used both, how fast can I transition to using Finacea and stop Differin? What about still using BP?

thanks

thanks

How long have you used the Differin? If you want to switch and your skin is still red from the Differin, I would stop the differin for a few days and let your skin calm down. Then maybe start the finacea every other day for the first week or so, and then bump up to every night. If BP doesn't give you any problems, then maybe continue using it at the opposite time of day as the finacea (finacea in the morning and BP in the evening)

I have been using Diff since the begining of Jan. I have started to ween off of it and will start the Finacea in the next few days. As far as the BP, I began using it around the same time as the Diff. I am still trying to gauge how irritating it is to my skin. Some days it burns and gets red and other days not as much. It is too the point that my skin will get really red and oily that like I have been out in the sun too long. I was considering Azelaic Acid instead of BP. What is your take on that? Stick with just the Fin or also incorporate the AA as well?

Just an update on the Finacea. I stuck it out and then burning did go away, so for anyone having concerns about the Finacea side effects they do subside. Now I am just waiting (praying) to see if it will help me clear up. Not sure when I should expect to see some results? I did notice some of my zits are coming to a "head" quicker. Not sure if this is good or bad? I am wanting to replace the BP with something else. It makes me feel sick, think I may have an intolerance or even a moderate allergy to it.

@davis: so how long did it take until the redness went away? have you tried anything else besides the BP?

I am just about to start the Finacea and im kinda nervous and excited at the same time.

@damn.....it took about 2 weeks for me to not be able to barely feel the Finacea on my face, however everyday that I used it the stinging went away a little more, so it was a progressive thing. It still itches some but not very bad at all and it goes away within 15 minutes. The areas that were so red and burned the most were the ones where I had some BP burns. I have found that when using Finacea you have to still use a very good moisturizer but I wait 30 minutes or so before I put it on after using the Finacea, that is probably why I am not feeling the aggravating side effects anymore. I no longer get red from it at all. Besides BP i have used Salicylic acid but it did not do too much. I used Adapalene as well and that broke me out worse. I would not know what to try next if the Finacea doesn't cut it. If you are nervous you could start by putting it on half your face or a patch of your face and see how that goes. Maybe you could start slow like every other night(or day) and then work up to every night(or day). They give it to people with Rosacea and rosacea can be very painful. I am prescribed it 2x a day and have no problems now at all. It might just be me and my angry skin but using too much BP with Finacea is not a good thing. I would not recommend using them together, at least wait a few hours..... My acne seems to come to a head quicker with the Finacea, probably because it is turning the skin over so rapidly. I might be having a small initial breakout but it is not something I would freak out about (and I freak out easy) so if you see a few extra pimples pop up here and there, don't worry about it, try to stick it out 6 weeks or so. I am hoping that I can get rid of the BP and go with only Finacea. Azealic acid is suppose to have anti-bacterial properties that kill P acnes. I truly believe I have an intolerance or allergy to BP. I have heard very good things about Azealic Acid, I hope it works out well for you. Keep me posted.